using multiple presses

DUBSY

Initially, it was the need for more quantity which got me to go from the single stage and acquire a turret press.  Then shooting IDPA and GSSF pushed me to acquire my first Hornady LNL as I was chewing through 1000-1500 9mm per week.  Then, as I added 40 and 45 calibers to the repertoire, changeovers from small to large primer and pistol to rifle calibers and back pushed me into buying my second LNL.  I'm debating buying a Dillon now as I have never used one and want to see what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1

Mine was more of a progression combined with laziness. I started on a 550 and after a while I decided I wanted to improve my rifle accuracy and the stick powders didn't throw as well on the Dillon. In my pursuit I knew I must measure every charge. So I added a rock chucker to the bench and peeped every case; case OAL, weight of the case, primer pockets, necks, neck sizing with a bushing die etc. all became part of the process. Interesting enough, weighing every charge to a grain probably made no difference in accuracy.  

At some point I wanted to increase pistol caliber production. Time to shoot and reload became tight (life happens) and I wanted maximize my time at the bench. At that time it wasn't uncommon for me to load a few hundred rounds in a  pinch to run to the range the next morning. The 650 with case feeder started to look good. Add in that I was getting fed up with the 550 primer slide, it felt like every time I loaded anything the slide would hang up. I would be cleaning and adjusting it, puling miss primed cases, cleaning up split primers and I would get aggravated. The first 650 was ordered. 

I kept the 550 running mostly small primer ammo, .38 and 9mm that I just didn't shoot that much of and left the 650 running large primary .45 ACP, that's what I shot the most. Well that case feeder was nice and the primer system on the 650 was so pleasant. Did I mention I am lazy? So the 550 was sold and the second 650 arrived. I still regret selling that 550, it was a great press. 

I still run the rock chucker and the two 650's. I am tempted to add a fosters, not because I need it but rather because I want to "play" with it. The rock chucker works fine, but with fat fingers the priming system can be a PIA. I have been priming off the press, which helps but the depriving is still messy. I just ordered one of those fancy $10 kits that are supposed to change your life and keep the primers from going all over. The Jury is out, but for the price I am not complaining. 

I have a Square Deal with some conversions I picked up used, the price was such I couldn't walk away. I've never set it up. Someone gave me a couple of Lee turrets and misc part, those I gave to a friend who was just starting out in reloading and money was tight. 

In the end its a math equation, A+B+D-C=X. What are your needs (calibers and outputs), what are you time constraints, space limitation and budget. Match you desires and needs in a way that won't break the bank. Try to buy one and cry once. But if all you can afford is a lee thigh master and its gets it done, so be it. It's not a sprint, its a marathon. 

• Like 2

I started with a Dillon RL300 in 79 and got another in 82. One setup for small primers and one for large primers. I shoot a lot of cast rile rounds and use a Redding T-7 for rifle case prep and do all of my HG and rifle loading on Dillon 550's. I use different tool heads and powder measures for each caliber for load consistency.

But I started with my grandfather with an old Ideal C press so my reloading has evolved from that thru Rock Chucker Lyman T-Mag to my current setup.

• Like 2

My reasoning is probably the least conclusive. There was no real need for additional presses, I don't shoot that much. First one was the Redding T-7. It would be plenty for the type of reloading I do. It is capable of cranking out high precision rounds, it is perfect for uploading new ladders, and you can speed things up with the turret (300 rounds an hour).

I simply love tools, tinkering, as well as modifying them. So I added a Redding UltraMag 700, a Dillon 1050, and finally a Dillon 550. Eventually I will also add a 650 and a couple of those new Lyman presses.

These days I reload:

- Redding Ultramag 700: Decapping of all calibers, loading of all precision rifle rounds, .500 S&W Magnum

- Redding T-7: All new uploads in batches of 50 rounds

- Dillon 550: all self defense rounds I have created on the T-7, all calibers I don't shoot regularly like .45 ACP, all .32 calibers, .357 SIG, etc.

- Dillon 1050: .380 ACP, 9mm, 10mm, .223 and .308 range ammo

• Like 1

My first press was a single stage Rockchucker Jr.  It took over sixteen hours (my entire weekend) to load up 500 rounds for a weekend of shooting.  Then I bought a Dillon 550 and the Rockchucker now only gets used to load small batches of rifle cartridges. 

I also have a progressive MEC shotgun press. 

• Like 1

These were good lengthy responses. Thank you for taking the time. I can see I still have a ways to go before I'll need another. I still use my LNL with easyject like a single stage. I've mostly been"on again/ off again" with my reloading. This particular club though has rekindled my interest. Thanks again

• Like 3

I'm down to just one press (Dillon RL550B), but at one time, I did have a Rockchucker mounted next to it. 

It was a nice option, just in case if I ever made ammo for that last quarter inch of accuracy.  I also found it quite handy when it came to putting a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die in it to resize completed ammo for certain calibers. 

For the most part, I would use the LCFC die in the Dillon RL550B as the 4th station (making the above process unnecessary), but there were times where I would use the Rockchucker + a .40 / 10mm LCFC die to resize completed 357 Sig cartridges. 

1 hour ago, DUBSY said:

I’ve never checked into this but is there a big secondary market for reloading equipment? Like say EBay or other sites for used or over stock.

Every now and then there are also offerings on Craigslist, at least around my neck.

Dillon presses and equipment are known to retain their value very well on the used market.

• Like 1

After 20+ years and over 500K, I started breaking parts on my 650. Even though Dillon was great about replacement parts, I didn’t like being down, even for just a few days. 

So, I bought an XL1050, with setup for 9mm and .40

1. Now I have a backup.

2. I wanted to give Dillon some business for all the great customer service. 

3. I wanted to be able to load 2 calibers at will without the need to make changes to the press. 

4. Top revolver shooters claim the 1050 is a must have for highly tuned revolvers (and I just got a 929)

I keep the 650:

1. See 1 and 3 above

2. Sentimental Value

3. Easier and cheaper to setup for calibers that are not as frequently Loaded. (Have tool heads in 9, .40, .45, .38 super, and .38/.357)  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My first press was a Dillon 550b $298.00, my second press is a Dillon SDB set up for 45acp used $75.00, and my most recent press is a used Dillon 650c (less tan a year old) with 2 calibers 308 & 45acp  with lots of extras to go with it for $1300.00

Edited by Big Wes

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to end up getting another single stage (as inexpensive as possible) for the purpose of die trimming brass. I've gotten into a .454 Casull kick lately and ended up buying a Redding trim die, but because it's special order I won't see it till sometime mid December. Someone gave me the idea of taking .460 S&W brass and cutting it down to .454 length so I can take advantage of having its large size primer pocket.

8 hours ago, Highspeedlane said:

I'm going to end up getting another single stage (as inexpensive as possible) for the purpose of die trimming brass. I've gotten into a .454 Casull kick lately and ended up buying a Redding trim die, but because it's special order I won't see it till sometime mid December. Someone gave me the idea of taking .460 S&W brass and cutting it down to .454 length so I can take advantage of having its large size primer pocket.

That will be a major PITA. Unless you will only need a handful of brass.

Just saying...

https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-power-trimmer.html

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

I started with a Rockchucker and was loading wadcutters.  Took forever to load 1,000 rounds but not long to shoot them up.  Got a Dillon 450 and that was like going from a Pinto to a Corvette.  Later I got a Dillon 550 but hated changing from small to large priming system.  An opportunity to get a used 550 presented itself so now I have one for large primer and one for small.  I use a Dillon 650 with Mr. Bullet Feeder for 9mm.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I load on my 550, but I've been depriming on an old Pacific C press.  It's tedious and lately I set up a head for depriming only on my Dillon, its dirty nut so much faster.  

Would really like to find a cheap progressive designed just for depriming. Looking at you Lee Precision. 

51 minutes ago, Lagamor said:

I load on my 550, but I've been depriming on an old Pacific C press.  It's tedious and lately I set up a head for depriming only on my Dillon, its dirty nut so much faster.  

Would really like to find a cheap progressive designed just for depriming. Looking at you Lee Precision. 

About $500 IIRC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 presses.  My Dillon 550 with casefeeder is used for most of my pistol calibers.  .38 Special, 9mm, .45acp, .45 Colt. 

I have a Loadmaster for .44 mag/special.

Also a Rock Chucker for my rifle rounds.  .17 Remington, .223, 30.06 and 7.65x54R. I prefer to weigh each charge on rifle rounds. 

I also use the rock chucker to deprime and resize.  And to resize any of the bullets I cast that need it.

I bought (it was a Christmas Gift) the Loadmaster just to see if I could get it to work.  It does, but requires fiddling.  I would not be happy with it as my only press.

• Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.