Bats and tractor lights

DrB

Anyone here ever work the fields late at night, tractor lights on.  Hundreds of bats buzzing the bugs in the lights. No cab so they are dive bombing your head and the bugs around you also?  That was always fun.  Sad thought because of white nose disease not so many bats here any more. 

Dave..

• Like 2

yeah  same here  not as many bats  but  ive been hit quite a few times .  lol  years ago  we were at church supper and stayed to bout 8  pretty dark   bats were bombing the street light  and i noticed some kids and i walked over and i kneww them and their parents , well they had fishing line with hooks on it swinging the line in circle real fast  catching bats  , i was livid  ealked them back to the church basement and made them tell their parents  , they got in trouble but learned a lesson after explaining things  .  will never forget that 

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've had a colony (summer) of bats in our eves forever.  Then, several years ago, they quit coming back, probably due to the nose-disease.

They came back last year.  We contacted the DNR, as requested, and they came out and documented and counted the bats coming out at dusk.  They said our colony was pretty rare in this area, because most of them are still wiped out.

We like to sit out in the evening and watch them fly out.  They spend a lot of time swirling around our yard (and campfire) before they gradually fly off for the night.

funny story we got big back porch  prolly 10 feet off  ground  me and wife  and some buds  sitting out chilling and grilling   bout hour later  bats were out  ,  wife had her back to the railing and started screaming a bat flew in her hair  rofl  , everybody was like wtf  !!!  now she likes bats  and animals  but in her hair , so she is jumping around  and it turned out to be a southern flying squirrel  rofl .  

• Haha 1

A friend's dad would pay us to shoot bats in their barn with bb guns because there were so many in there and they'd crap all over so much that they would ruin all the hay. We had a great time. They were very hard to hit.

Different times, back then.

I remember one night when boy in the farm house sleeping. I hear this eep.....eep and something crawling rubbing my face in the pillow.  Turned on the light and saw a bat crawl out and start swooping me.  Young boy...  shades of a vampire after me.  Scared the crap out of me...  Still can visualize that in my mind after all these these years.

Dave..