Has anyone expanded their garden as a response to the Wuhan virus?

I did.  And my youngest daughter decided to start her own tire garden, too, which is nice... IF she keeps up on the weeding (she hasn't in the past).  I'm working on pounding the t-posts in for the expanded space (50 of the stupid things), then I'll remove the old ones and reuse the fencing around the larger area.  I found 1 1/2 more rolls in the barn, too, but I think I'm still going to have to buy one more roll.  TSC has 100' rolls on sale now...  

Anyway, I'm planting more of the veggies I use for my canning recipes (everything that goes into salsa, and relish, and mater sauce), and more of the items I can store in the root cellar (the digging of which is on the list of summer projects, whoopee).  And I'll be expanding the list of veggies I save seed from, too.  Usually I'm lazy about that and only save the easy one (arugula, I'm looking at you!)... but that also means being a little more careful about where I plant stuff so there is no cross-pollination where I don't want it (keeping the tiny tomatoes away from the sandwich size!)

What else is everyone up to in their gardens?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

52 minutes ago, Historian said:

Basil. It always reminds me of my mom. What a joy it is in salads and sauces.   I've chewed on it like snuff. 

I mainly have sweet, globe, Thai, purple and, tulsi (holy) basil.  I cook a lot of Thai/Asian, and almost always incorporate Thai or holy basil into it.

I love basil and am a glutton for punishment.  I have collection of mortars and pestles and only use them for pestos/smashing basil.  I don't like what food processors/blenders do to it.

ETA:  Since this is the survival/prep forum.  A good mortar and pestle is a great thing to have.  

Edited by Al Czervik
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

I love basil and am a glutton for punishment.  I have collection of mortars and pestles and only use them for pestos/smashing basil.  I don't like what food processors/blenders do to it.

Is there anything that smells better than fresh basil?   Wow.   I tend to go with the traditional European basil.  You can often find them growing in flower pots on apartment windows.

You are not alone in your love of that herb.

• Like 1

Oh basil, I love the purple kind.  And the Genovese.  And, and, and... I didn't dehydrate quite enough last year - I'm going to run out before there is more to harvest, I think.  (Only one jar left).  It was so cold last summer, it didn't do as well as it normally does.

And beets.  I HATED them growing up (my mother made me choke down pickled beets with milk when I was about 6 - and they came right back up on the kitchen table, so there's that).  But I have found one beet recipe everyone in the family loves, including me.  The kids love it because it is beet pesto and it turns the pasta the loudest shade of magenta you have ever seen in a food.  Beet pesto on angel hair pasta with goat cheese is everyones' fave pasta dish all summer long.

I got my T-posts pounded in.  All by myself, because everyone else wanted to work on their own projects and pounding posts is apparently too boring for them.  Next up is stretching the fence, and I'm not doing that by myself.  But it's supposed to snow tomorrow (WTH, MI in April!) so I think it will wait til Thursday or Friday.  I just want it done before this weekend, so I can spend the weekend actually getting the rest of the garden planted without dealign with chickens eating everything I plant before it comes up.  In the already fenced section, the lettuce, snow peas, snap peas, kale, chives, oregano, thyme, radishes, and beets are up.  The cabbage, arugula, shelling peas, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts and planted but not up.  And the ASPARAGUS HAS BROKEN THE SURFACE!  (Sorry, that's my definition of spring, I get all excited when that happens).

Does anyone have any good Brussel sprout recipes?  This is the first year I've ever grown them (and I hated them growing up, but husband likes them and asked me to grow them for him, so I am, but I have no idea what to do with them...)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Does anyone have any good Brussel sprout recipes?  This is the first year I've ever grown them (and I hated them growing up, but husband likes them and asked me to grow them for him, so I am, but I have no idea what to do with them...)

Oh yes, just cut them in half and roast them with cracked pepper, salt, and olive oil.  Sometimes i put a touch of garlic salt on them.   Nothing more.  Just nicely roasted.   If you can roast them over wood even better. Just before serving a light touch of melted butter is nice.

The leaves are also fantastic in a salad or wilted down. 

And I'm with you on beats.  I love the earthy flavor they have.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Oh basil, I love the purple kind.  And the Genovese.  And, and, and... I didn't dehydrate quite enough last year - I'm going to run out before there is more to harvest, I think.  (Only one jar left).  It was so cold last summer, it didn't do as well as it normally does.

And beets.  I HATED them growing up (my mother made me choke down pickled beets with milk when I was about 6 - and they came right back up on the kitchen table, so there's that).  But I have found one beet recipe everyone in the family loves, including me.  The kids love it because it is beet pesto and it turns the pasta the loudest shade of magenta you have ever seen in a food.  Beet pesto on angel hair pasta with goat cheese is everyones' fave pasta dish all summer long.

I got my T-posts pounded in.  All by myself, because everyone else wanted to work on their own projects and pounding posts is apparently too boring for them.  Next up is stretching the fence, and I'm not doing that by myself.  But it's supposed to snow tomorrow (WTH, MI in April!) so I think it will wait til Thursday or Friday.  I just want it done before this weekend, so I can spend the weekend actually getting the rest of the garden planted without dealign with chickens eating everything I plant before it comes up.  In the already fenced section, the lettuce, snow peas, snap peas, kale, chives, oregano, thyme, radishes, and beets are up.  The cabbage, arugula, shelling peas, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts and planted but not up.  And the ASPARAGUS HAS BROKEN THE SURFACE!  (Sorry, that's my definition of spring, I get all excited when that happens).

I love beets.  I love them raw, in salads with the little gizmo below using the finest blade.

My favorite BS method is to quarter or shave them, heat bacon fat in a wok, and char them.  Remove from heat, add S&P, and some balsamic glaze, toss.

http://www.benriner.co.jp/benriner_en/products/products05.html

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I'm so bummed.  The dang cabbage worms have devastated my kale and Brussels sprouts.  Apparently, I can't even go away for a weekend.  Argh.  And the corn has smut.  Won't be planting it there again for at least 5 years.  And no, I'm not eating it.