Fair price for an M&P?

PNWguy

I'm thinking about selling my minty S&W M&P40 full-size with factory case(not cardboard) and all magazines/accessories on consignment at a local gun shop. I talked to the guy about what price to put on it and he said it was completely up to me and had no advice.

It's a great pistol with no wear and likely under 200rds through it. Perfect in every way. I just have no use for it and I'm trying to slim down my collection to guns I either love or have sentimental attachments to.

Any idea of a fair price?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"100_1116.JPG","data-attachmentid":1925}[/ATTACH]

If I sell mine, it will be replaced by a Glock G34 for GSSF indoor matches. I had three M&P pistols; this one, an M&P40 Compact, and the Shield 9mm Performance Center 9mm. After the Shield barrel flaws that S&W couldn't/wouldn't fix, I soured on S&W and this is my last one.

I think I remember your issues with the Shield from GT.

My first polymer frame pistol was an M&P 9C. Still have it and has run without issue (with recoil spring replacements) for over 14K rounds. Unfortunately, local prices for M&P pistols that I see aren't very high. You can get a new one with night sights for under $500. The last used one I saw used was priced under $400 and it sat in the store for quite a while. Things may be different depending on where you live.

Good luck, hope you can get a decent price for yours.

Dave

Keep it for a spare. The last time I bought a used M&P .40 was a couple of years ago, at Bud's. It had night sights and 3 magazines. I believe I paid $265, but that may have been before tax. With all the used police guns out there, M&P 40's are about the cheapest bargain in guns - good for buyers, but not for sellers.

• Thanks 1

I will have to agree. A lot of departments are dumping their .40's. However most of the departments guns look like they have been dragged behind a truck, so yours would probably bring a little more value. Not sure what accessories you have to go with it, or what extra's you have on the gun, but if you don't get at least $300 - $350 for it, then keep it. You can always trade it later on if needed.

I agree with Bren, just keep it. Use it for dry fire practice at home. If you can break the trigger on an M&P without making the front sight jump, you can do it with any gun. (I've got an early production M&P9. My caulk gun has a better trigger.) And if the S ever really does HTF, you can arm one more decent person.

The market is bad now for .40's. People believe that the 9mm is superior and are flocking to it because the FBI could get their tests to show whatever they wanted.

I have seen new in box LEO trade ins for 399. Those were new unissued guns with three mags and dead night sights. The used ones in decent shape were 299.

I know it was a one off, but a couple weeks ago Bud's lowered the price on them and I got a new one shipped for 424. It was the Crimson Trace model. It would make more sense to keep the gun, because you will really take a bath on it. Besides, the .40 short and weak as some like to call it, is a superior round to the 9mm. I hated on the .40 for years. It wasn't until I got a 10mm that I really saw the .40 for what it was. .45 power in a near 9mm capacity.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"M&P40CT.jpg","data-attachmentid":5389}[/ATTACH]

599b67d074976_MampP40CT.jpg.86225f59f395a6131dcfb222a7bbddff.jpg

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the shop owner didn't want to suggest a price in order to avoid insulting me... I had no idea the market was soft on those.

Guess I'll keep it, then...

I got my certificate from GSSF the other day for a Blue Label Glock purchase, so the G34 I want is only $507...

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the shop owner didn't want to suggest a price in order to avoid insulting me... I had no idea the market was soft on those.

Guess I'll keep it, then...

I got my certificate from GSSF the other day for a Blue Label Glock purchase, so the G34 I want is only $507...

It's not just M&P's. A few weeks back I bought a new .40 caliber stainless FN FNS for 340. These guns only came out in 2011 and the MSRP on them was like 700 bucks.

As to the M&P. They will be phased out soon in favor of the 2.0. Just today I saw some 9mm's for less than 400. The M&P is an excellent gun and would serve anyone well, but in the next year or so they will more than likely be found for sale, for next to nothing. They will probably also never have any collector value years from now, unless they were a rarity. Like back in the late 90's S&W added a .357 sig to their Sigma line. That's probably the only Sigma worth anything.

I do believe that someone makes a 9mm conversion barrel for them now, and I know for sure you can get .357 sig barrels.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 9:43 PM, Jason D said:

It's not just M&P's. A few weeks back I bought a new .40 caliber stainless FN FNS for 340. These guns only came out in 2011 and the MSRP on them was like 700 bucks.

I do believe that someone makes a 9mm conversion barrel for them now, and I know for sure you can get .357 sig barrels.

Yes, .40's are found on the inexpensive right now.  Good for buyers, but bad for sellers.  I tried to sell a .40 M&P VTAC for around $500 last year.   It sat for months with zero offers.   I just stuffed a S&W factory 9x19 barrel in and ran the same 9 mags as all the other M&Ps in it and call it good.  It's sitting hidden around the house in a hidden location should it be needed in a time of emergency.  

4 minutes ago, GlockPride said:

Yes, .40's are found on the inexpensive right now.  Good for buyers, but bad for sellers.  I tried to sell a .40 M&P VTAC for around $500 last year.   It sat for months with zero offers.   I just stuffed a S&W factory 9x19 barrel in and ran the same 9 mags as all the other M&Ps in it and call it good.  It's sitting hidden around the house in a hidden location should it be needed in a time of emergency.  

Everyone's on the 9mm train right now because the FBI says it's awesome. It doesn't seem to matter that bullet innovation carries over to other calibers, or that heavy will always trump light. Faster follow up shots are always the reply. 

If you guys got 40's now, just keep shooting them. You could also buy the ammo cheap and stockpile. Some day people will realize the error of their ways and the 40 will rise again.