Puppy Sitting

Moshe

I was feeling under the weather so I stayed home today, watching after the puppy rat terrier.  He is a stubborn little guy.  Potty training was easier with my GSD.  He will sneak off and drop a steamer.  He is in the phase he wants to put everything in his mouth and he is hard to catch.  When he chills from his exploits he likes to be held.  He is clearly teething.  There is also a need for dominance has he feels big and bad when my GSD is outside, and he wants to drop a steamer in the big guy's kennel.  I hobble outside to give him an idea that going outside is great idea.  Though, all he has known is the pads.  I take him to the front yard, to avoid conflicts in the backyard.  The only time he appears frightened is when the GSD puts him in his mouth but doesn't bite down.  Though, if he did it would be the end of little Snoopy.

He is starting to teeth, so my leather belt, and most things seem fair game.  His instincts are to burrow into small spaces, where he unfortunately finds things to put into his mouth.  The Vet said he would max out at Six pounds.  When he is fully grown, I am going to put him to work, as the wet weather brings the vermin to outside structures. 

• Thanks 1

The Rat Terrier is more of a type dog than a breed. They were very popular Farm dogs in the 1920-1930s. They were bred to control rodents above and below ground. These are intelligent and energetic canines. My first dog was an unforgettable Rat Terrier. You are lucky to own a healthy Rat Terrier  pup.:dog:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dog Soldier said:

The Rat Terrier is more of a type dog than a breed. They were very popular Farm dogs in the 1920-1930s. They were bred to control rodents above and below ground. These are intelligent and energetic canines. My first dog was an unforgettable Rat Terrier. You are lucky to own a healthy Rat Terrier  pup.:dog:

I like him pretty well,  He likes to attack the little rubber sheep in the living room that my GSD played with as a puppy.  He treats it like a rodent, trying to kill it.  I feel bad that the breeders docked his tail to non-existence.  I couldn't do that.  I feel a bond with him, because he reminds me a lot of a dog that was covered in flees and abandoned when I was stuck on an X.  I would usually buy a burger, and share it with him.  He would bark when illegals came around.  I wanted to take him home, but we had an apartment at the time, with a no pets policy.  A lot of us when down there loved on that little dog.  He was well fed by my shift.  One day he was missing and I saw a cross  up the way.  At the end of shift I asked what happened? One of the guys replied sourly that an FNG got bored and was running his vehicle up and down doing donuts and took him out.  I think that is what draws me to the little guy, a memory of a dog I wanted to adopt and take to the vet, for care, but never had the opportunity to do so.

• Thanks 1

Rescuing a dog is a wonderful thing to do. We did a Gordon Rescue some years ago. This dog was near death and in terrible condition. I brought him home he ran in the house and sat down on the wives lap. He survived and has become a very active Gordon Setter. He knows we saved his life he thanks us every day. He continues to set with my wife every day.  All of our dogs are special, this dog is very special. :dog:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3