Smith and Wesson 422

ROB

The oldest most senior shooter, I've had this over 25 years, bought brand new. Many bricks have passed thru this one, easily 10-12k rounds.

The gun likes high velocity stuff, tends to lock open prematurely on still-loaded mags when using lighter ammo. Today I used Blazer, which is loaded about par with Mini Mags, but experienced several instances of the slide locking open, requiring a quick tug to chamber the next shot. My guess is a mag cleaning might be needed.

Shooting was 25yrds at local bullseye range, accuracy was good considering my rate of fire got away from me as I probably tried to make up time from having to recharge the pistol frequently mid-magazine. I really need to figure that out..it's either fouled or gritty magazines or some issue with the slide release, as I know it's not my grip.

Anyhoo, I held black. Trigger is crisp with almost zero over travel, but there is a tiny bit of takeup. On a good patient day, I can approximate the accuracy of my Ruger mkII, but being alloy framed and muzzle light combined with a stiffer trigger, it takes a bit more effort and concentration. Unlike the Ruger though, it is slim, light and carries well. Plus, I know it will last at least 12k rounds.

IMG_20170904_140538.thumb.jpg.6eb3266a5ff5f29a36896b9350faf02e.jpg

IMG_20170904_141414.jpg

Edited by ROB

8 hours ago, G26S239 said:

I thought about getting a 422 or 622 some time back. They look and feel nice. I did get a Ruger Mk II w/5.5" bull barrel and target sights. Still have it.

I have the same Ruger, it's definitely more the shooter. The 422/622/2200 series guns can be really capable, especially the steel framed guns combined with that super low bore axis. They also are threaded at the muzzle and lend themselves to suppressors...oddly enough.

IMG_20170731_202518.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Many many years ago I bought a 422, shot countless rounds through it over the years, and then it went into the safe. I traded it off on a whim and immediately regretted it. A few years ago I seriously overpaid to get another one. 4" blue/black model in excellent condition with wood grips and 6 magazines for $375. Still worth it to me and I shoot it every time I get the chance. That 422 is dead nuts reliable and dead on accurate. Plus it's so light half the time I wonder if I am holding a real gun.