PPS m2 vs Shield 2.0

DieselMcBadass

I know a guy who has and likes the PPSm2, but I don't have any experience with it.

Between the Shield and G43, I settled on the G43 and haven't carried my .380 since.

Now, if you want a fair deal on a barely used 1.0 Shield, I can help you out.  I've got one with the thumb safety and one without that are available.

My .380 is a Beretta Pico: It's my mouse gun and ALWAYS resides in my weak side pocket in a DeSantis holster. I am not familiar with the PPS M2 and am not fond of the Shield 2.0 or otherwise.  When I am not carrying my G27, I am carrying a Kahr CM9 which I find shoots very well for me.

1 hour ago, c10bonanza said:

This gun has always intrigued me.  Only downside I can see is the extremely long trigger pull.  

If you are looking for a pocket pistol, give a lot of serious thought to what you want in that pistol. For instance, reviews of the Pico ripped it pretty well for its European mag. release. I don't know if you have pocket carried auto pistols much, but it is not uncommon at all to have a magazine pop out if the pistol is equipped with an "American" mag release that gets pressed just far enough at the wrong time. The Pico release makes dumping the mag accidentally impossible.  A mag change is still fairly quick but not as fast as with the American mag release. The trigger is straight double action and a bit stiff, but breaks very nicely and with practice is easy to learn.  I find 50 rounds to be a good practice session before my trigger finger starts to tire.  I have a range in my back pasture and work with the Pico at least once per week. The Pico is equipped with a great set of all metal, 3 dot sights - something NOT found on a lot of small .380's.  Speaking of small, I am not aware of any other .380 as narrow as the Pico. The grip at first appears to be at an odd angle but it's easy to learn to use and does not print at all.  All edges are well rounded.  As a matter of fact, my Pico in its DeSantis pocket holster virtually disappears in my pocket.  I rarely wear jeans, preferring to wear cargo pants, shorts or semi dress pants - no problem hiding the Pico in a pocket of any of them.  Oh, by the way, my Pico has performed perfectly since I first shot it and now has somewhere over 1200 rounds through it. I quit keeping track at that point.  

I suspect the Beretta engineers may have designed the Pico specifically for pocket carry. It is very thoughtfully laid out and extremely safe - no manual safety but that long DA trigger puts safety in the revolver class.  I can shoot well enough with the Pico to hit beer/soda cans out to about 20 yards fairly consistently.  The only other .380 I shoot that well is my G42 but it is nowhere near as small as the Pico and prints much more.  The one glaring shortfall of the Pico is the slick grip - the gun screams for Talon Grips (I use the rubber grip). Talon Grips are so effective on improving the grip of polymer frame guns that I consider them a mandatory aftermarket ad on.

Just food for thought.  There is NO perfect pistol. I have been shooting for 67 years and spent far more money looking for "the perfect gun" than I care to admit. Every gun is a compromise in some way, shape or form. The most you can hope for is to come close to what you consider perfection. Good luck and good hunting.

Edited by Citra47
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DieselMcBadass said:

Just get a lcp2 and call it done.

I have a first gen LCP and hate the trigger.  Do you pocket carry the LCPII?  I have read some concerns since it’s trigger is a single action design.  Then again, I haven’t heard of any real world incidents, either.  

2 minutes ago, c10bonanza said:

I have a first gen LCP and hate the trigger.  Do you pocket carry the LCPII?  I have read some concerns since it’s trigger is a single action design.  Then again, I haven’t heard of any real world incidents, either.  

lcp1 trigger sucks. Thats why i got the 2. It is single action and easier to shoot. I use a pocket holster. I wont carry any gun without  holster that covers the trigger guard so i have no worries.

• Like 1

We have a PPS (not the M2 with the American style mag release) and absolutely love the gun.  I shoot better with it than just about anything we own.  The biggest downside I can report is that magazines are very expensive.  Don't have first hand experience with the Shield of any generation/style but I would not hesitate to buy another PPS.

• Like 1