P365 Reloading Dump

crockett

As some of you may know, I started a specific Sig P365 reloading thread at GlockTalk a while ago, and now I will continue my findings here. You guys are obviously invited to join with questions, suggestions or your own data.

At this point I will have to introduce a disclaimer:

Reloading and firing of reloaded ammunition based on my data is done at your own risk, TBS and I assume no liability for death, injuries, or damage due to the use of this, or any other load data.

As a carry and home defense load, I (and many peers in the industry) consider the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator copper projectiles, loaded by Underwood, to be the standard in ultimate stopping capabilities, by providing both proper penetration and lasting wound-channels. This is objectionable, but I will post several videos below, to make my point.

Since I (and Willy at GT) prefer to train with our self defense rounds instead of some random, low power range ammo, I'm trying to replicate these SD loads into target ammo with comparable aspects like velocity (hence recoil) and projectile weight. This allows for a much more affordable solution while being able to train with similar power levels and all its characteristics.

Now, the 9mm Luger +P 115gr Xtreme Penetrator from Underwood costs $1.50 per round.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/9mm-luger-p-115-grain-xtreme-penetrator?variant=7865933201465

My current (07/14/18) loads come down to $0.13 per round, that's a $1.37 saving for each Bang:

In this instance I will be uploading these full power training rounds for the new Sig P365, which is currently one of the most wanted carry gun.

The Underwood 9mm Luger +P 115gr Xtreme Penetrator flies at a hefty 1,250 FPS. Since I will be uploading my self defense ammo with the same Lehigh projectile, I will even try to surpass Underwoods +P load, with a goal of 1,300 FPS, getting well into - if not above - +P+ territory.

Well, I uploaded my second ladder a few days ago, and finally managed to go to the range today. While I prefer my outdoor ranges, I wasn't in the mood to push through rush-hour traffic. So my rusty LGS was it.

By the way, I'm using Hatch Friskmaster Gloves with Honeywell Spectra lining when shooting hot rounds (suggested by Willy). Pulling plastic pieces out of you skin ain't fun. So I have heard.

The great news is, that I have managed to reach my goal with my second ladder today. This is indeed a proud number for a 115gr 9mm out of a short-barreled P365.

And here the entire ladder with all details:

The sample size was too small for any usable standard deviation or extreme spread numbers, but I can confirm that CFE Pistol is an outstanding powder, and extremely consistent. I will be testing accuracy and SD/ES further down the road.

I used range brass with different headstamps, which had been reloaded 3 times (yes, even I can be cheap). We are in flat primer league, but with only a hint of a smiley in the brass. I'd say there is still some room if one would be inclined to go right to the edge.

That being said, this load at 6.7gr of CFE turns the P365 into a very snappy firearm. It left quite a mark behind.

PS: no feeding issued with the P365. We shall see if the firing pin is up to the task.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maaaaaaannnnn you got those 115s really moving! Fastest 115s I've loaded were a long time ago and got them to 1316fps out of my full size M&P. Fastest I've pushed through my P365 so far is a 124gr Gold Dot round @ 1157fps using TiteGroup.

I can definitely attest to how punishing these hot rounds can be. I ran around 50ish +P rounds and then another 50ish lower power loads through it that day and my hand was just as red and sore for a day lol! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2018 at 6:59 PM, BadAndy said:

Maaaaaaannnnn you got those 115s really moving! Fastest 115s I've loaded were a long time ago and got them to 1316fps out of my full size M&P. Fastest I've pushed through my P365 so far is a 124gr Gold Dot round @ 1157fps using TiteGroup.

I can definitely attest to how punishing these hot rounds can be. I ran around 50ish +P rounds and then another 50ish lower power loads through it that day and my hand was just as red and sore for a day lol! 

I probably can push them to 1,400 FPS with that powder / bullet combo, but I will get to see some mean smileys. The P365 is rated for +P (whatever that means when it comes from Sig), but 1,300 FPS is already way beyond +P, and +P+ for that matter.

SAAMI max pressure for 9mm is 35,001 PSI. For +P it is 38,000 PSI. None for +P+.

Pushing 115gr 9mm out of a 3.2" barrel at 1,300 FPS comes down to about 50,339 PSI, which is already 12,339 PSI over +P max pressure, which would push it only 1,129 FPS.

Now a 1,400 FPS would need about 58,381 PSI chamber pressure. I'd feel on the safe side if it would be a modern and chunky large frame revolver, but these plastic bombastic pistols are a different thing altogether. I'll see if I want to figure that one out or keep it at 1,300 FPS.

Edited by crockett

14 minutes ago, BadAndy said:

Nice work. I'd love to see one of the Barnes 115gr copper hollow points through denim into gel at 1300fps.

Me too. I'm still on the hunt for a piece of land for my next house, with backyard range.

• Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.