Finally, The One I've Been Waiting For

willieH

This gun has been an obsession for some unknown reason, especially since I've never held one. Yea, I've read about German Sig Mastershop pistols and seen a few reviews, but something about the P226 X-Five L1 has been an irresistible temptation. After shooting the gun I must admit my high expectations were exceeded. This is definitely my "grail" gun. 

Who else has that special firearm they are seeking or better yet have acquired. Lets see some pics.

41906902605_fc427f09fa_b.jpg

42758370732_f3cd7d3cce_b.jpg

27938469247_bae3f32f3b_b.jpg

42944166131_0cef6da9f9_b.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats, the German guns are getting hard to find. They are still being made and can be exported but no longer by SIG Sauer themselves. Since SIG Sauer shifted production to the U.S. the factory has about 50 of 200 employees left and many of the old masters had left. I have been in the factory in Eckernfoerde more than once and saw how they assembled an X series gun and how carefully it was fitted and checked.

At the end of last year even the proof house in their basement closed. Those guns are the new Swiss SIG p210s, getting more desirable..

According to this article, it appears Sig is reinvesting in Eckernforde. It's not clear whether the Mastershop will be revitalized.

As the main offices of SIG Sauer GmbH in Eckernförde, Germany, are growing in personnel and infrastructure, “we are investing millions of Euros in modernising Eckernförde, 2016-2020,” he said. “The long-term vision of the last two years has been to grow talent, capital base, and capability, to provide weapon systems in Eckernförde. We are allowed to transfer technology to Germany, according to US law, i.e. we are working with German engineers to modify US weapons to German standards.”

Viewing Europe as a growth market for SIG Sauer in the years to come, Cohen explained: “The European market is shifting to threats for domestic law enforcement and requires a total retooling. Germany being the centre of Europe, and the Eastern Bloc waking up, we will be playing a strong role here and are very excited about these opportunities. GmbH is crucial here. We have a 10-year vision to position ourselves in the European community. Eckernförde is the future of SIG Sauer in Europe.”

11 hours ago, willieH said:

This gun has been an obsession for some unknown reason, especially since I've never held one. Yea, I've read about German Sig Mastershop pistols and seen a few reviews, but something about the P226 X-Five L1 has been an irresistible temptation. After shooting the gun I must admit my high expectations were exceeded. This is definitely my "grail" gun. 

Who else has that special firearm they are seeking or better yet have acquired. Lets see some pics.

41906902605_fc427f09fa_b.jpg

42758370732_f3cd7d3cce_b.jpg

27938469247_bae3f32f3b_b.jpg

42944166131_0cef6da9f9_b.jpg

Nice! The 226 is one of the most natural pointing guns I've ever shot.

13 hours ago, willieH said:

According to this article, it appears Sig is reinvesting in Eckernforde. It's not clear whether the Mastershop will be revitalized.

Well, that does not make sense to me.

First, they moved rifle production to Isny, then the proof house closed, the closest is now in Suhl. Anschutz, Walther and HK have the Ulm proofhouse right by their door. 

Second, the parking lot was still empty the last time that I had been there and inside was deserted, too. I had learnt from the proof house manager that there were more complaints about faulty guns than ever with the best workers gone. Before they would invest into new machinery and train personnel, they would need contracts from law enforcement. I did not hear much beyond Danmark getting the SIG Sauer P320 and doubt that those will be manufactured in Germany, where the cost of manufacturing is higher than in the U.S.

We are allowed to transfer technology to Germany, according to US law, i.e. we are working with German engineers to modify US weapons to German standards.”

This leaves me somewhat puzzled. 

Edited by Andyd

On 7/4/2018 at 9:07 AM, Smokey613 said:

Other than heirlooms, I have downsized my firearms collection to those that serve a purpose. The one pistol I would really like would be a T series Browning Hi Power. My Dad used to have one, not sure what happened to it. I have always wanted one. Maybe one day.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/776834697

Keep your eyes open and you may bump into one. I found this Hi Power in a pawn shop.

20880127476_cb4d59d0a2_b.jpg

• Like 1