M&P Shield 45 Review

RealRonSwanson

I did a forum search, but couldn’t find anything. Anyone have any opinions on the Shield 45? My wife just got her concealed carry, and loves my Shield 9mm. I could always get myself a new 2.0 Shield, but something about 45 ACP just puts a smile on my face.

Most online reviews seem favorable, anyone have anything first hand to contribute? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No first hand experience, but I'm watching the thread to see who else chimes in.

While a bit chunkier than I'd ideally prefer, I'm quite pleased with my G30S.  When I think about the possibility of a smaller .45, I lean more toward the XDS; but, I'm willing to be persuaded toward the S&W.

I put a few mags through one during S&W days at the range. With my limited experience I would rate it  higher than the G36, CW45, or XDS 45 for ergos and recoil impulse (all of which I have shot more than the Shield 45). I would even rate it higher for build quality. I am not a multi-caliber guy and prefer to just run 9mm across the board, but the Shield 45 was so nice I have been toying on and off with buying one.

I put a few mags through one during S&W days at the range. With my limited experience I would rate it  higher than the G36, CW45, or XDS 45 for ergos and recoil impulse (all of which I have shot more than the Shield 45). I would even rate it higher for build quality. I am not a multi-caliber guy and prefer to just run 9mm across the board, but the Shield 45 was so nice I have been toying on and off with buying one.

That’s basically my current inner debate. I could just buy a 2.0 Shield or blow a GSSF coupon on a 43, but something about the .45 Shield keeps me coming back. I shot one at a similar event a few months ago and have been browsing gunbroker for a good deal. My local dealers are still asking about $450 for them (crazy, I know).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Shield 45 seems well done. I preferred it to the XDS in 45, and I'm a fan of the Springfield in 9mm. I saw one potential "negative" when working at an indoor range. We had several customers experience the slide locking back under recoil. It seemed their grip interfered with slide lock and it would lock back with ammo still in the mag. They would have to relearn their hold for the gun or get rid of it. I'm a lefty so never have issue with that.

If you have tried it and were ok with how it functioned for you, it looks like a winner.

I've only run some rounds through one belonging to another instructor. Seemed okay, but I wouldn't replace my original 4513TSW (3.75") or CS45 (3.25") with one. I tend to like the Shield line in either the 9 or .40, whenever I've done some range work with them. I don't own either, though, because I simply have too many other suitable smallish guns I've collected and carried over the years.

1 hour ago, AZ Husker said:

Anyone concerned about the velocity of an already slow round out of that short barrel?

I'd not fret too much about the 3.3" barrel length. The shorter barrels have become pretty established when it comes to LE users (for both off-duty and plainclothes), and the big ammo makers who like to get LE sales have realized that for some time. I remember when I loaned my 3.25" CS45 to the guys running one of our ammo gel/shoots one time some years ago. The loads being tested were the standard pressure RA45T and the +P RA45TP, and both rounds broke 800 fps from the short tube. I think it was 802fps & 839fps (+P), and the recovered bullets (from the 4LD shots) looked virtually identical.

I've typically carried whatever was being issued in .45, which for the premium type loads for several years meant either 230gr non-bonded Golden Sabre or the SXT/RA45T (and for a brief while the RA45TP +P, when the RA45T was always back-ordered due to heavy sales/demand), although during the last couple of years the new load has become the 230gr standard pressure HST (because it costs a lot less than anything else).

2 hours ago, AZ Husker said:

Anyone concerned about the velocity of an already slow round out of that short barrel?

The .455 Webley revolver cartridge had a max velocity of 650 ft/sec. when fired from a full sized service revolver. British and Commonwealth troops had no complaints about stopping power in WW1 or WW2. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blueiron said:

The .455 Webley revolver cartridge had a max velocity of 650 ft/sec. when fired from a full sized service revolver. British and Commonwealth troops had no complaints about stopping power in WW1 or WW2. 

Yeah, I suspect that as long as we're realizing at least 700-750fps, we're going to be getting desirable "performance" from the heavy 230gr bullets.

Also, if I recall correctly correctly, according to some of the big name ammo makers some of their newer style JHP's have been tweaked so expansion might be expected within a wider velocity window, with a lower threshold. I remember one major maker telling someone that their JHP was reasonably expected (in testing) to expand when the velocity was as low as 750fps.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Yep. The days when hollowpoint bullets were just an excuse for additional manufacturer's profit are gone now. If a bullet doesn't perform, word gets out fast and gov't. contracts get dropped quickly. 

As it should be. ;)

Unfortunately, there's always going to be the agencies who end up going for the cheapest duty ammo they can find, meaning the budget lines still using the old-style JHP's.

Handled a Shield 45 for the first time Saturday and was very surprised at how much I liked the feel of it. I had a Shield 9 a long time ago and have a 2.0 9 on the way but I could really see myself getting the 45 just because.

A few lady friends have the 9mm Shield.  They like it and shoot it well.

I bought the 9mm Shield.

Liked it so much I bought the 40 and 45.

I would carry it but I'm limited to a smaller gun (SIG P938) for pocket carry.

The 45 is a little larger than the 40 or 9.

Shields.thumb.JPG.4e99298e2e51ea810a9ef655445c949c.JPG

5b3c1847249ea_Shield45target.thumb.JPG.64bb6e87644fb0d3a1cf43d86ea3b646.JPG

5b3c184924594_Shields3.thumb.JPG.78158998ca97ac391a6c56b776590cf6.JPG