How To Clean Brass - To Ultrasonic Clean or Not

N2extrm

So I go through fazes, I run from "I don't care about a stinking clean case so long as it goes in the chamber and goes bang" to "OMG that case is terrible, why didn't I clean it". I mean some times I polish cases shinier then a mirror. Well in my last craze of being annoyed by polishing media, various colors of dust and remaining debris, combined with impatience and annoyance of time listening to a tumbler run, I ordered one of those fancy ultrasonic cleaners from Hornady. 

Not satisfied with all the reviews and videos I watched for days I tried lemishine and Hornady's own product, a dish soap concoction and who knows what else. So far I am mildly impressed. The machine does a reasonable job cleaning, I am not sure I am blown away by any results and I think there is probably no results better then a tumbler and good treated corn cob media. But this does seem to go faster and there is less dust, actually theres no dust. 

Because I am still mad at Hornady (over a shell holder from way back in 2005 or so that never shipped to me) I feel I can't love the machine. Not sure if its under power or if I'm under whelmed, maybe its the red paint.

I did actually buy there case dryer as well. I think it works fairly well, maybe because it has less red paint on it, or maybe because it works and was cheap enough. 

I am toying with a larger more powerful unit, I've seen some on Amazon cheap enough to try, value is a definite issue with these small machines from Hornady or the rest IMHO. 

I am tempted to try a Thumblers (or similar rotary tumbler) with stainless steel pins. Why you ask, because I am in a clean brass mood and well hose little pins or needle bearings look amazingly annoying to loose and clean up. As an added incentive I am bored and need something to make my OCD and nerves a little more wrecked. 

So chime in what do you love and hate about case cleaning? 

(Don't get me started on actual case prep, I might vibrate a bit. LOL)

I wet tumble with the Franklin one. Bought the magnet thing-a-ma-Bobber and it does a pretty good job pulling all the pins out. 

No dust, but dumping the mess is a bit of a chore. Still I’ve probably done 15,000 rounds in the two-ish years I’ve had it and it still runs like new. 

I also dry tumble with Nu-finish, if I don’t the shells want to stick to the powder drop. Brass looks brand new. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lagamor said:

I wet tumble with the Franklin one. Bought the magnet thing-a-ma-Bobber and it does a pretty good job pulling all the pins out. 

No dust, but dumping the mess is a bit of a chore. Still I’ve probably done 15,000 rounds in the two-ish years I’ve had it and it still runs like new. 

I also dry tumble with Nu-finish, if I don’t the shells want to stick to the powder drop. Brass looks brand new. 

I should also say one of the things that annoyed me with the corn media or even walnut shells was small case necks. When I tumble .22 caliber brass its a bear to get the cases empty, anything like .220 swift .22-250 or .223. How is it with the pins? 

5 minutes ago, N2extrm said:

I should also say one of the things that annoyed me with the corn media or even walnut shells was small case necks. When I tumble .22 caliber brass its a bear to get the cases empty, anything like .220 swift .22-250 or .223. How is it with the pins? 

I use one of those spinning  RCBS media separators, last time I had a pin stuck was in the primer pocket, about a year ago. Happens very rarely.

I shake dirt and dust off, deprime, wet tumble 90 minutes in warm water with some lime shine and 2 caps of Frankfort case cleaning / polishing solution, rinse twice in cold water, separate from pins, dry on large towel over night, reload, and if its precision ammo I dry tumble in walnut media with Nu-Finish for 20 minutes.

No dirty brass or rounds for me.

Img_3493.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, crockett said:

I use one of those spinning  RCBS media separators, last time I had a pin stuck was in the primer pocket, about a year ago. Happens very rarely.

I shake dirt and dust off, deprime, wet tumble 90 minutes in warm water with some lime shine and 2 caps of Frankfort case cleaning / polishing solution, rinse twice in cold water, separate from pins, dry on large towel over night, reload, and if its precision ammo I dry tumble in walnut media with Nu-Finish for 20 minutes.

No dirty brass or rounds for me.

Img_3493.jpg

Being the CRB that I have been, I will debate this for about 6 months, make a rash decision one night and buy a ton of pins and tumblers tumbler. LOL. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, N2extrm said:

Being the CRB that I have been, I will debate this for about 6 months, make a rash decision one night and buy a ton of pins and tumblers tumbler. LOL. 

Being an INTJ and OCD ridden MBA myself, I welcome you in the club of ridiculous perfectionism. 

• Like 1

I don't load rifle yet so I couldn't say about small neck cases.  I also use a pin tumbler like Crocket and it gets almost all of them out. Usually spread them on a towel afterwards then use the Franklin magnet gizmo then let them dry. Rarely do I ever see a pin in a case.

Crud in a case is much rarer with pins than walnut/corncob media, plus once you see the nasty crud in that water you'll never want to use a dry tumbled media separator again. 

Have fun going OCD on the decision. Took me about three months to buy. 

• Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.