.220 Swift

DrB

Any love here for this cartridge? I read an article in the 70's about the lure of the Swift.  Was the time when Ruger started to chamber the 77 in it.  Was young and broke but I had to have.  Got a heavy barreled one the gun shop just got in.  Still one of my favorite rifles.  I has a home with me for my life.  Has a unique kinda twisting sound when shot.  I used Sierra 52 grain hollow point boat tail bullets over IMR 4350.  Forget the exact charge but was over 4,000 ft/sec. 

I remember once shooting woodchucks in the early morning in the heavy dawn mist.  Just saw a little blue smoke trail several times.  Was the thin skinned bullet disintegrating in the heavy air.  Was kinda cool. I remember that day well. So do the woodchucks, smiling back at me.

Norma was the only ammunition and brass you could get at the time other than older Winchester if you could find. I used the Norma brass to load.  Was also the first rifle cartridge I learned to load for. 

Was the gateway drug rifle and cartridge that addicted me and has kept me broke through the years.....

Thought I would share.. Take care...Dave...

• 1 month later...

I have a .22-250 in same era Ruger rifle.  Never warmed up to it.  Something about the Swift in my blood I guess. The Lure of the Swift in an old article I read back in the day when Ruger offered it again, I had to have. And the Norma ammo from the same era.  I'm hooked...  Love that rifle..

Dave..