Testing Glock night sights

trenton.world

Decided to try an intriguing new (?) sight from Truglo, and fell down the rabbit hole. Even devised a scientific method of comparing the sights… Three blog posts so far; the forth one is coming soon.

1. Introduction to Truglo FAST (and why I went shopping for new sights)
  2. Truglo FAST vs Trijicon HD XR
  3. A bit of science

What are your thoughts on the matter? What's your favorite night sight and why? Have you ever shot with it in the dark?… Oh, and while we're at it, have you ever had rust on your XS Big Dots? (I had, but it seems to be a fringe case)

I had one set of night sight's on a 30s once.  Don't remember the name.  Never really did anything for me.  When the front sight died after a couple years, I just took a knife and scraped out the center of it and put in a couple drops of Pure White Enamel.  I know it sounds stupid, but I really like it better!  Personally just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

I see you linked your website on GT as well. I'm personally no fan of links to websites with affiliated links to vendors (Brownell's). There is always one major bias in such content: selling product one way or another.

I didn't see any affiliate Disclosure on your site. You may want to look into this: https://www.privacypolicies.com/blog/ftc-affiliate-disclosure/

Why not join a forum, get to know folks, and being upfront?

image.thumb.png.4d0c40c64563b7e01268af60b42fba9e.png

20 minutes ago, crockett said:

I see you linked your website on GT as well. I'm personally no fan of links to websites with affiliated links to vendors (Brownell's). There is always one major bias in such content: selling product one way or another.

It is under my "Privacy policy", but you're right, I probably should rename it into something like "Privacy policy and affiliate disclosure" (done!). I also agree that affiliate links in reviews in 99.9% of the cases mean that we're looking at infomercial and the author is trying to sell us something… I do my best to remain in that elusive 0.1%. 

Edited by trenton.world
typo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, crockett said:

Why not join a forum, get to know folks, and being upfront?

Lastly, to address this part… It hardly gets any more upfront than linking your personal blog with your name on it, as opposed to creating a cryptic nickname and just schmoozing. Yes, in a past few days I've registered accounts and posted the same 3 links on GT (great crowd, lots of good input and food for thought) and GF (lots of very strange anxiety), and now here. These 3 posts are the essence of what's been on my mind lately when it comes to firearms, so why not? 

6 minutes ago, trenton.world said:

Lastly, to address this part… It hardly gets any more upfront than linking your personal blog with your name on it, as opposed to creating a cryptic nickname and just schmoozing. Yes, in a past few days I've registered accounts and posted the same 3 links on GT (great crowd, lots of good input and food for thought) and GF (lots of very strange anxiety), and now here. These 3 posts are the essence of what's been on my mind lately when it comes to firearms, so why not? 

"Get to know folks" = by that I mean not to run into the door (of this forum) and show the product to be sold before showing ANY interest in our community.

"Being upfront" = by that I mean being upfront regarding the affiliate links, for example: "Hey guys, I'm trying to get a new business started so that I can pay some bills. The blog I started contains affiliate links, so if my reviews are worthwhile to you and you want to buy that product, I would be super happy if you would use my affiliate links in the reviews. This will not cost you one penny, but I will get some commissions from that vendor."

And in a perfect world you would ask the forum owner first, because you are taking advantage of an audience and an exposure that he build over the course of many years, while not making a cent on advertisement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crockett said:

And in a perfect world you would ask the forum owner first, because you are taking advantage of an audience and an exposure that he build over the course of many years, while not making a cent on advertisement.

You're obviously trying to make me feel unwelcome and guilt trip into something… If you're speaking in any official capacity, I've got no problem deleting this post along with my account here. I have a huge respect for Eric, but forums – any forums – are not what they used to be 20-30 years ago. Heck, I'm old enough to remember directly calling BBSes and polling Fidonet nodes…

10 minutes ago, trenton.world said:

You're obviously trying to make me feel unwelcome and guilt trip into something… If you're speaking in any official capacity, I've got no problem deleting this post along with my account here. I have a huge respect for Eric, but forums – any forums – are not what they used to be 20-30 years ago. Heck, I'm old enough to remember directly calling BBSes and polling Fidonet nodes…

I'm voicing my opinion and making suggestions, simple as that. There is a way to successful affiliate marketing, even today. I can guarantee you that your path will not work, not in a capacity that will provide for a living.

The internet has evolved and always will, you can constantly adjust, or you will be left behind. That's just the reality of it.

PS: I coded my own forum in Perl in the mid 90s. I also used acoustic couplers in the 80s well before the www was defined.

Check out this YT channel. Will knows how to build an audience and run affiliates. He makes between 35 and 50k. Every month.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj6RxIAQq8kmJme-5dnN0Q

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

I'm voicing my opinion and making suggestions, simple as that. There is a way to successful affiliate marketing, even today. I can guarantee you that your path will not work, not in a capacity that will provide for a living.

Let me repeat, this is a personal blog, and it will never have a theme. The fact that at the moment it has more gun-related posts than anything else is a pure coincidence. I plan on posting about whatever the heck interests me at the moment, whether it be fishing, cooking, vaping, bushcraft, latest conspiracy theories, 3d printing, politics, religion, etc. I don't consider it a business website, I've got plenty of these. And of course it's doing the affiliate marketing all wrong – it's not an affiliate marketing website. I just wanted a quasi-anonymous personal blog, after a 20-year long hiatus.

PS: There's a very good chance that we know each other, perhaps even in person. 'Twas a small world back then. 

44 minutes ago, trenton.world said:

Let me repeat, this is a personal blog, and it will never have a theme. The fact that at the moment it has more gun-related posts than anything else is a pure coincidence. I plan on posting about whatever the heck interests me at the moment, whether it be fishing, cooking, vaping, bushcraft, latest conspiracy theories, 3d printing, politics, religion, etc. I don't consider it a business website, I've got plenty of these. And of course it's doing the affiliate marketing all wrong – it's not an affiliate marketing website. I just wanted a quasi-anonymous personal blog, after a 20-year long hiatus.

PS: There's a very good chance that we know each other, perhaps even in person. 'Twas a small world back then. 

A blog is a great platform for "ramblings" and if that's your main objective, all power to you. In my perfect world there would be no (left wing biased) FaceBook, Twitter and Google, and we would all resort back to individual sites, but in reality social media long killed the concept of blogs and even forums for the most part. Maybe one day there will be some decentralization if enough people wake up and smell the political manipulation, away from those semi monopolies, but I won't hold my breath. Most people are lazy, and only needing a couple URLs and logins for those fat social media platforms makes it that much easier to share their life, all for the hunt of addictive likes and emojis.

Edited by crockett

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

In my perfect world there would be no (left wing biased) FaceBook, Twitter and Google, and we would all resort back to individual sites, but in reality social media long killed the concept of blogs and even forums for the most part. Maybe one day there will be some decentralization if enough people wake up and small the political manipulation, away from those semi monopolies, but I won't hold my breath. Most people are lazy, and only needing a couple URLs and logins for those fat social media platforms makes it that much easier to share their life, all for the hunt of addictive likes and emojis.

We're utterly off topic, but no one seems to care, so why not :crylikeender:

Most people are happy with Facebook/Twitter/Google/Amazon etc. It shouldn't be a problem, it's their choice to make. However, it's a huge problem for content publishers, since the "smart" timelines no longer show posts in chronological order. Oftentimes your posts won't even reach anyone's timeline without a paid "boost". Then there's an issue of shadow- and not-so-shadow banning. Yes, it's their (so called) platform, and they're (arguably) free to do so. It's actually scary how easily someone could be cancelled online. 

I think there are 2 root causes of this problem: lawyers and technology. Both obstacles could be sidelined, if not completely eliminated, by moving to decentralized, distributed model… Not necessarily blockchain, but something similar. Could FB, Google and Amazon still operate and cater to their audiences on a blockchain? Sure. Will they have the same godlike power? Nope. And with blockchain technology being adopted by European banks (while the US still does ACH), I don't see an easy way for the lobbyists to ban or impede it. 

22 minutes ago, trenton.world said:

We're utterly off topic, but no one seems to care, so why not :crylikeender:

Most people are happy with Facebook/Twitter/Google/Amazon etc. It shouldn't be a problem, it's their choice to make. However, it's a huge problem for content publishers, since the "smart" timelines no longer show posts in chronological order. Oftentimes your posts won't even reach anyone's timeline without a paid "boost". Then there's an issue of shadow- and not-so-shadow banning. Yes, it's their (so called) platform, and they're (arguably) free to do so. It's actually scary how easily someone could be cancelled online. 

I think there are 2 root causes of this problem: lawyers and technology. Both obstacles could be sidelined, if not completely eliminated, by moving to decentralized, distributed model… Not necessarily blockchain, but something similar. Could FB, Google and Amazon still operate and cater to their audiences on a blockchain? Sure. Will they have the same godlike power? Nope. And with blockchain technology being adopted by European banks (while the US still does ACH), I don't see an easy way for the lobbyists to ban or impede it. 

The shadow banning and cancel culture is VERY left wing biased and I see the root cause in political infiltration. I did my own testing, especially on YouTube comments. The algos filter mainly content out that would question liberal polices and the Biden administration, while conservative content gets de-ranked, de-listed, deleted or (shadow) banned.

The only bigger platform that was not left wing driven, was deleted by Amazon when they kicked it off their cloud. That alone tells the story.

The only way this can be rectified is by voting with our wallet. As long as we keep buying on Amazon, watching videos on YouTube, searching on Google, and posting our crap on FaceBook / Twitter, they will keep making AD revenue, and they will keep undermining any conservative / bilaterian movement.

If the Dems keep holding office, I bet 100 bucks that they will outlaw any crypto currency in the next term. Once taxes go up, and they will, people will use crypto currencies to evade sales / business / income taxes. Taxes are the bloodstream for the Dems and their outrageous spending to come.

Edited by crockett

12 minutes ago, crockett said:

The shadow banning and cancel culture is VERY left wing biased and I see the root cause in political infiltration.

…and political infiltration is an HR issue. Any Conservative, Libertarian or nonpartisan HR will hire based on merit. But once a single Liberal is hired into HR position, the whole organization will metastasize into a liberal cesspool in a matter of years if not months. 

• Like 2