Iraqi F14s?

SC Tiger

I know we have some real aviation nerds here so I figured this would be the place to ask a question:

Did Iraq ever operate the F14?  I know the US and Iran did and as far as I know they are the only two countries to buy the thing.  Did Iraq steal some from Iran or have some from defectors or something?

Had someone on another board tell me that Iraq had some they hid in Iran, but I'm not buying that.

Iran was an ally, when they used and bought US systems. One of the ‘outrages’ from the Iranian revolution was the sale of f-16s that were already paid for that weren’t sent after the revolution.

Iraq was an ally, then they weren’t. Saddam Hussein had a lot of US equipment and there were reports of him sending aircraft to Iran during the buildup to Desert Storm.

I would think if they have anything of the like, it would not be serviceable. The maintenance and parts needed to keep,them in shape have not been available to them for years

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Iran was an ally, when they used and bought US systems. One of the ‘outrages’ from the Iranian revolution was the sale of f-16s that were already paid for that weren’t sent after the revolution.

Iraq was an ally, then they weren’t. Saddam Hussein had a lot of US equipment and there were reports of him sending aircraft to Iran during the buildup to Desert Storm.

I would think if they have anything of the like, it would not be serviceable. The maintenance and parts needed to keep,them in shape have not been available to them for years

Eventually they could probably make the parts they need.  The parts they make might suck, and not work, and make the plane go boom, but they could probably make something that would fit out of silly putty or something.

Actually most machine shops can reverse-engineer parts.  Electronics might be a different animal.

• Like 1