Taurus judge .45/.410

SilverRidge01

Anyone else own one of these hand cannons, mine is a fun handgun ..just purchased what are called Barrel inserts, in .17 HMR, .22 Mag, .22 LR,  many other calibers available in rifled inserts,  a lot more stability than smooth bore ...but a versatile fun weapon to own and shoot ... Comments from owners would be of interest ...

• Like 2

For a revolver they must not be barrel inserts, but rather chamber inserts. That would mean that the actual barrel length would be pretty short. Some of the Judges have 3 inch chambers, others are only 2  1/2 inches. It would be interesting to chronograph the results. The 17 HMR would probably retain the most velocity.

I think the Taurus Judge is probably the best gun to be used against poisonous snakes, The 410 is superior to any shot load from a pistol. They are also fun guns for shooting at aerial targets.

• Like 1

Yup they should have called them chamber inserts but since the fired round never comes in contact with the barrel of the firearm they’ve called em barrel inserts, gets confusing after awhile, 17 HMR is fairly accurate out to 20 yards so is 22 magnum, the new .410 ammo offered is nothing like the 410 our fathers had, the new defensive Pdx1’ Civil defense and buck shot are devestating rounds at 5-7-10 yards no snake or human stands a chance with this ammunition, check out YouTube vids on performance you’ll be amazing and also we tend to forget the 45 colt it’s super accurate coming out of the judge .... 

wHad one for snakes.  The .410 shotgun shells (and yes I used full load shotgun shells) made too large of a pattern.  Now a good 12 gauge and a pistol with a red dot, do a better job for all the poisonous snakes that call this part of the country home.

Edited by Moshe

I don't have a Judge but I do have a set of 3.5" barrels for my Bond Arms Texas Defender. When using 410 I like the 2.5" Federal 000 Buck load with four pellets of 000 Buck. They string vertical from my derringer. Usually I keep the 3" 45 ACP barrels on it. I am enclosing a link to Gil Horman's website in case you haven't seen it so you can maybe get some ideas about loads that might interest you.

http://www.410handguns.com

Edited by G26S239
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

Great web site for the .410 platform thanks again G26S239 I bookmarked it for future reference, bottom line after reading the results of the 3" magnum which I have, it shows as advertised, the Judge is an upclose and personal defensive weapon ....

You're welcome Silver. Horman put a lot of work into it. I like the slow motion gelatin block videos and pellet penetration lists, we can do our own pattern tests but seeing the varying levels of penetration provides good information that I hadn't considered prior to watching the videos. And I agree with you about the Judge, my derringer and other 410 handguns. They are niche guns rather than general purpose but that's okay because I like my Texas Defender. ?

Edited by G26S239
  • Like 1