Ok, contrast these two stories

Dric902

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/11/kat-ainsworth/fisher-dont-be-a-hero-in-an-active-shooter-situation/

An expert, who teaches civilians what to do in active shooter situations, said this is a situation that could happen anywhere. The first thing he recommends to gun owners is to try to run away and to not pull out your gun unless you are in direct contact with the shooter. That is because of what could happen when police arrive.

“You will be considered a threat if you have a firearm in your hands,” said Noell Bishop. He served over 20 years in the military and was a Drug Enforcement Administration agent for 20 years

I've taken heat for stating that in a mall/mass shooting my first priority is to get the wife and daughter out to safety. If I must shoot my way out being confronted or blocked by the shooter then I will. Not running to the guns.

Financially and legally my responsibility is to my family, not strangers.

never happen you say?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/11/daniel-zimmerman/after-wrong-man-is-shot-and-killed-alabama-mall-shooter-still-on-the-loose/

Police do not know how the confrontation began but don’t believe the 18-year-old who was hurt was armed, they said. A gunman opened fire, shooting the teenager twice in the torso, according to police.

A Hoover police officer who was working security at the mall confronted an armed man running away from the scene and fatally shot him, authorities said.

wrong guy, shooter got away.

I’m not a cop, not a high speed/low drag ninja Delta operator, not a Tac-Team member. My superhero days are far behind me.

You have to decide for yourself.

Edited by Dric902

But, I'm white, so...  :dunno:

OK, I admit, that was in poor taste.  Seriously, though; I think every active shooter situation is different and while I think waving your gun around in such a situation is a very bad idea, I don't think I could just run away knowing innocent people are being shot.  Especially if first responders are not on scene.  If you confront an active shooter and manage to shoot them and incapacitate them, then you better damn well have the common sense to holster your weapon and put your hands on your head and get down.

If you are taking cover when the police arrive, then you also better have the common sense to holster your weapon and assume the position while letting them know who and where the threat is.

But yeah, I get the point that officers arriving on scene usually have little to no information, or the wrong information, about what is going on and who the bad guy is.  If they're lucky, dispatch will have a color and clothing description.  Seems much of the time, that is incorrect anyway.

So, cops roll up and run into an area and all they know is shots have been fired, multiple people wounded, and they see a fat white gun holding a gun, I don't imagine they will give much warning before opening fire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/11/kat-ainsworth/fisher-dont-be-a-hero-in-an-active-shooter-situation/

An expert, who teaches civilians what to do in active shooter situations, said this is a situation that could happen anywhere. The first thing he recommends to gun owners is to try to run away and to not pull out your gun unless you are in direct contact with the shooter. That is because of what could happen when police arrive.

“You will be considered a threat if you have a firearm in your hands,” said Noell Bishop. He served over 20 years in the military and was a Drug Enforcement Administration agent for 20 years

I've taken heat for stating that in a mall/mass shooting my first priority is to get the wife and daughter out to safety. If I must shoot my way out being confronted or blocked by the shooter then I will. Not running to the guns.

Financially and legally my responsibility is to my family, not strangers.

never happen you say?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/11/daniel-zimmerman/after-wrong-man-is-shot-and-killed-alabama-mall-shooter-still-on-the-loose/

Police do not know how the confrontation began but don’t believe the 18-year-old who was hurt was armed, they said. A gunman opened fire, shooting the teenager twice in the torso, according to police.

A Hoover police officer who was working security at the mall confronted an armed man running away from the scene and fatally shot him, authorities said.

wrong guy, shooter got away.

I’m not a cop, not a high speed/low drag ninja Delta operator, not a Tac-Team member. My superhero days are far behind me.

You have to decide for yourself.

Fine point.

I would add that once you are clear of the danger, put your firearm away or - if law enforcement is near - just drop it altogether.

• Like 1