G19 replacement?

Spats McGee

12 hours ago, Spats McGee said:

Nah, not boredom, but the idea has been temporarily shelved.  The P239 looks nice.  I'm not terribly comfortable with decockers, but that might cause me less heartburn in a carry gun than the paddle mag release that HK uses.

It’s not for everyone. I cut my teeth when the alloy frame DA autos were at the height of their popularity. There are a lot more options nowadays. 

On 11/22/2018 at 6:08 AM, Spats McGee said:

4. CZ P10C -- Again, almost identical to the G19, but I don't know that my local range will have any for me to shoot.  How's this one doing out in the real world?

Just wanted to mention that I just had a range session with a CZ P10c and was able to shoot it side by side with a G19.

My BIL just bought one and hadn't shot it yet, so we took it along with my new G19 Gen 5 out for a quick range session.

The trigger definitely was not as good as the Glock's; longer pull and a bit mushy and heavier, but not bad.  Probably equal to the average Glock Gen 4 trigger.

Ergonomics were excellent; fit both of our hands perfectly and pointed very naturally.  Fit and finish was very good and it is a good looking pistol.  Steel sights were nice and they were aligned perfectly out of the box; unlike my new Glock's.

My BIL liked the grip angle of the CZ better than the Glock's.  He kept hitting about an inch or so low with the Glock and was right on with the CZ.  I was right on with both.

The CZ is just a tad bigger than the G19 and it seems like a full-size pistol in comparison.  You hold them next to each other and there is little difference, but when shooting the CZ, it just felt like a full-sized pistol compared to the Glock.  Weird.

Also, the grip texture was super aggressive.  It actually irritated both of our hands after just a couple of magazines.  And he's a farmer, so no sissy city boy hands.

But, he was able to buy his for $386 and I paid nearly $200 more for my MOS G19.  I think the proven track record and billions of aftermarket options are worth it, IMHO.

The good thing about a Glock is that if you don't like it, you can modify it into something that you do like.

Another option for you is to buy one of those Polymer 80 frames for around $100.  It totally changes the grip angle and a lot of guys love them.  It would be a lot cheaper than buying another pistol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a HKC Stainless .45 for myself, cocked and locked in a holster.  I also have the stainless .40  USP cocked and locked in a holster.  I a fan of the cocked and locked feature from my Springfield MC Operator .45, and FNX-45 Tactical with a light and Red dot cocked and locked on my hip at them moment.  I like having pistols with more than one option.  Also, you can tell, I love the 230 grain .45 ACP.  My 9mm's are Glocks.

• Like 2

I came of pistol age in the 1990’s when the .40 was emerging.  The P30 is an S version in .40 S&W loaded with 180 grain JHP. 

I carry. Gen. 3 Glock 23 most of the time. I live on a lake and spend a lot of time on a boat so I recently ordered something smaller that dovetails into this thread—-a Wather PPQ SC. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:14 AM, Moshe said:

I have a HKC Stainless .45 for myself, cocked and locked in a holster.  I also have the stainless .40  USP cocked and locked in a holster.  I a fan of the cocked and locked feature from my Springfield MC Operator .45, and FNX-45 Tactical with a light and Red dot cocked and locked on my hip at them moment.  I like having pistols with more than one option.  Also, you can tell, I love the 230 grain .45 ACP.  My 9mm's are Glocks.

I carry 9mm, but I sure do enjoy shooting .45.  From time to time, I toy with the idea of switching back to it for carry, but I never seem to get around to it.

20 hours ago, Will Beararms said:

I came of pistol age in the 1990’s when the .40 was emerging.  The P30 is an S version in .40 S&W loaded with 180 grain JHP. 

I carry. Gen. 3 Glock 23 most of the time. I live on a lake and spend a lot of time on a boat so I recently ordered something smaller that dovetails into this thread—-a Wather PPQ SC. 

I've been eyeballing an HK VP9 or VP9SK as a range gun, and recently got to handle a P30.  Or maybe it was a P30L?  Not sure.  I can't see CC-ing any of those, but they sure do feel good in the hand. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:38 AM, Will Beararms said:

Yes, I owned a full size Glock .40 for years.  I remember the arguments in high school about .40 versus 10mm.  You think there were some heated arguments about calibers now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Will Beararms said:

At this point in life, I am not going to get rid of the .40’s. It would be a waste to do so. 

I own one now.  It is the HK USP, with a stainless slide.  Carefully cocked and locked in it's holster.  Occasionally, I pull it out to insure there is no rusting going on from the leather.  Most pistols I prefer kydex.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, Will Beararms said:

Spats, 

Did you get another pistol?

No, I did not.  I still think about replacing her from time to time, but I haven't yet done it.  The truth of the matter is: 

(1) I can't afford to buy another pistol unless I sell something. 

(2) My G19 runs very reliably.

(3) I have a hard time letting go of a reliable gun.  Any reliable gun.

(4) I really don't carry my G19 any more.  My Shield has pretty much made it a bench-warmer. 

With all of that said, I still consider selling off my G19 to fund something else from time to time.  All of the pistols in my OP are still on the list, and I've added the G48 and a couple of others, like the VP9SK.  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 12/14/2018 at 11:46 AM, Moshe said:

Interesting.  I thought I was one of the few people who still like .40 these days.  Most people are 9mm everything, with a few .45 ACP dedicated people.

I am a Bargainist. Prior to the Defeat Trump Panic, new HK P30 S .40’s could be had for $550.00 or less. No one liked .40’s or manual safeties. 

This thing felt like a brick and the trigger, albeit smoother than the USP’s I have shot had a l-o-n-g DA pull. Funny thing is this thing is highly accurate and very soft shooting. It’s one of the best sleepers I have ever purchased——-right up there with that $350.00 Norinco 1911 I bought in 1992. 

107E3117-D702-4036-AB81-EE6BEA73B776.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^^^Nice!

I never did replace my G19.  It has, however, been mostly relegated to range duty.  My Shield 1.0 serves as CC, but its big brother, the 4" PC Shield 45 2.0 will soon move into that role.  I still want, well, all kinds of other guns.  I'm just not sure I can bring myself to let go of a perfectly good gun.  Just gotta save up for the others, I guess.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 4:09 PM, Spats McGee said:

^^^Nice!

I never did replace my G19.  It has, however, been mostly relegated to range duty.  My Shield 1.0 serves as CC, but its big brother, the 4" PC Shield 45 2.0 will soon move into that role.  I still want, well, all kinds of other guns.  I'm just not sure I can bring myself to let go of a perfectly good gun.  Just gotta save up for the others, I guess.

Interesting choices you had in the OP. I've seen this thread, but didn't bother since it was so old. All three of your choices were really more of the same as your 19. I bought LostWife a XD-M 3.8 in .40 a couple of years ago, and the only gripe I have is I didn't get two at the price. I've carried a G23 since 96, and she would try to steal it at every opportunity.

If you insist on making a move, that is a good choice, if you find one these days. I've been toying with a Security9 the past few months. I promptly broke the thing when I got it. Ruger was good on service, and even with the COVID mess, got it back in a month, closer to three weeks since it was 5 days until Academy could ship. Got it back with a laundry list of repairs and adjustment that I had mentioned to the rep when I called Ruger. The counter manager at Academy said she wasn't used to seeing repairs, and really couldn't figure how I got them to address some of the things. Not that they shouldn't have, but they didn't normally list it, if they did take a peek. On Run Like A Rented Mule From A Man I Hate Part 2. it held up fine. I wish I had a couple hundred more rounds to run through, but didn't as wasn't going to find any at the time. I ordered 2 17 round mags. If I'm going to pack 9MM, I'm getting all I can in it. Nice for the price, and very fun to shoot.

Cheers

Edited by LostinTexas

One of the things that made the choice so difficult was the fact that they really are very similar. A big part of this was about ergos.  I think all of my original choices are solid guns.  Mind you, I'm not complaining about my G19.  It's had a couple of minor hiccups, but has run well on the whole.  That said, I guess I wasn't (and still am not) convinced that it's really any more reliable than any of the ones on my list.  They might fit my hand better, though.   The G19 is OK in that regard, but ust OK.  The ergos on my Shields are notably better, and that definitely has my attention.  I've shot some of the XD line, and I like them just fine, too.

As far as .40s go, I don't really want to get into another caliber.  That said, if I could find the right .40 at the right price, I might grab one just for the sake of having a variety of ammo choices during lean times.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  And yes, I need to get my reloading bench set up.

And there's always a Ruger on my list it seems.  In this case, though, I'd be more inclined to grab an SR9 or SR9c.  I think I've handled the Security 9, but it just didn't fit my hand the way the SR series pistols do. 

Yes, and I was mentioning a 40 because that is the caliber of our home. Wasn't trying to sway on caliber. 

I like the fit of the XD and the Ruger (if Ruger would have made this in 40, I'd have jumped on it a couple of years ago when it was introduced). I have a FN that I love the feel of as well. I just don't like the DA/SA. One or the other is fine, just not mixed.

I've mentioned many times that I carry a Glock every day, even with a variety of choices that I do like. I do so because it does the exact same thing, the exact same way, every single time, with reliability of dirt.

A lot of love can come from that list.

Stay cool out there, it was a Buck-O-Five here today with a heat index near 120.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

....I've mentioned many times that I carry a Glock every day, even with a variety of choices that I do like. I do so because it does the exact same thing, the exact same way, every single time, with reliability of dirt....

I can't disagree with that.  There's something to be said for consistency.  Or, as my sig line on another site used to say, "A gunfight is not the time to learn new skills."

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 3:50 AM, Spats McGee said:

I likely will not.  I've been debating trading it in for something else for years and haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of it yet.

Sorta off the subject but I am working in Little Rock today so I carried the Glock 22 today. A 19 is so much easier to hide! Yep that’s a Dog whistle. ‘Took the Duck Dog out for one last “ tinkle “ before I left the Home 20.  

F21BDBB6-AED0-4A50-82FB-8C2C4986C329.jpeg