Not your average JBT story...

TBO

[IMG] 

WYOMING, Minn.—When Wyoming, Minn., police officers responded to a 911 call on Tuesday, Oct. 9, of a mother in labor, they found the front door locked.

Officer Matt Paavola kicked in the door and discovered that Nichole Mickelson, 38, had just given birth to a baby girl. Mickelson, who is a nurse, was performing CPR on the baby, named Anna, who wasn't breathing.

However, Mickelson was pregnant with twin girls, and the second baby was on the way.

"I was doing some rescue breaths on Anna, but I knew I would have to stop because I could feel the baby coming," she said.

Paavola took over CPR on Anna, clearing her airway, giving her mouth-to-mouth breathing and chest compressions until she revived and began to cry.

As Paavola performed CPR on Anna, officer Scott Boecker arrived on the scene.

Mickelson shouted to Boecker that her second baby was coming.

"Yes, that's right, a second newborn," Wyoming Police Chief Paul Hoppe wrote on the department's Facebook page in describing the response to the 911 call. "Unannounced to the two officers, the mother was pregnant with twins. With the first newborn baby breathing on her own, the officers switched gears and delivered the second newborn baby girl Ashley."

Anna Ruth weighed 5 pounds, 15 ounces and was born at 7:28 am. Ashley Nichole weighed 5 pounds, 9 ounces and was born at 7:34 a.m.

The girls join older siblings Olivia, 14; Landon, 13; Ethan, 11; and Benjamin, 2.

Nichole Mickelson's husband, Jeremy, is a carpenter and was at work at the time of her sudden labor.

The couple said they were grateful for the response of the police officers and paramedics.

"They treated us like family," said Nichole, who works at Fairview Lakes Medical Center in Wyoming. Nichole, who is trained in neonatal resuscitation, said she had never had to use those skills at work.

"My first time using it was on my own baby twin," she said, noting that her previous labors had been relatively quick and easy — "but never this quick."

The babies were initially brought to Fairview Lakes but then transferred to the neonatal intensive care unit at Masonic Children's Hospital at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

Nichole said the twins were doing well and expected to go home sometime this weekend.

Hoppe praised the work of his officers.

"As a chief, you want to make sure you give your staff the necessary training to do their job, and you hope they recall that training when the need arises," he wrote in his Facebook post. "On this day, these two officers performed flawlessly, professionally, without hesitation, with care and compassion to the family. ... The Mickelson family will have one heck of a story they will probably carry with them for a lifetime."

• Like 4