Considering a G26...Pros & Cons?

Redhat

1 minute ago, Oneshotonepill said:

From the website:

The GeePlate finger extension improves;

• Draw
  • Retention
  • Control of follow up shots

I'm not talking about the sales pitch...let's go a bit into detail.  Does your little finger tuck under that ledge?  It doesn't appear it would fit on top of it.  How does it help you maintain a better grip?  I'm more interested in your opinion than what they say on their web site.

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Redhat said:

I'm not talking about the sales pitch...let's go a bit into detail.  Does your little finger tuck under that ledge?  It doesn't appear it would fit on top of it.  How does it help you maintain a better grip?  I'm more interested in your opinion than what they say on their web site.

Thanks

My little finger hangs off so I end up with a two finger grip.  However, that hump on the back of the G26/27 grip presses right in to the hollow of my shooting hand to really give me a solid grip on the gun.  The other thing I do, and this goes for every polymer frame handgun I own, is install Talon rubber grips on the gun.  Even if my hand was covered with blood or something else slick, I would have a solid grip and NO, I do not work for Talon Grips and never have. I simply believe they are that good - same as the Glock. The only other thing I usually add is a good set of sights and I'm good to go. I don't change anything on the inside of the Glock preferring to keep them stock and have never experienced a failure of any kind other than some bad ammunition.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redhat said:

Thanks

My middle and ring fingers barely fit between the trigger guard and the geeplate.  It locks my hand in place for extra stability.  The gun barely moves when I shoot with the geeplates.  I can shoot without it, just not as fast.  You can probably figure out how it works just by looking at a picture of it.  When you buy your g26 (or g27, because, as previously stated by a "man," the g26 is for women) you can get some and try them out. They are not at all expensive.  

9 hours ago, Pistolay said:

Just put 160 rounds through my G26 gen5 today. Never get over what a sweet pistol it is. It will be my EDC for as long as I can handle it (I'm 65).

Glad to hear your good news!  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

My schedule may allow me a minute here to post or a few minutes there to catch up on threads, but I don't have the block of time I need to get to range (and I'm not sure when I will), so I don't yet know if mine is running right after its trip to Smyrna.  :dunno:

I hope it proves as reliable as my gen 3, my G43, and G30S.  I really prefer the combo of features of the Gen 5 over the earlier generations.  But, reliability is top on the list.

Edited by Maccabeus

2 hours ago, Redhat said:

How would you guys compare it's IWB concealibility compared to the S&W Shield?

Funny you should ask. I had 2 Shields, and they were great pistols. I bought the second one after I got to the point where I no longer wanted a manual safety and got rid of my Ruger SR9c (another wonderful pistol). So I had 2 Shields that I rotated, and I loved them but after a while I started missing having a double stack. I had some great experience with the G26, so I traded in one of my Shields for a gen 4 thinking that I would rotate between the 26 and my remaining Shield. After a few months I realized the Shield had turned into a safe queen because the G26 was so fine (and a double stack), and the difference in concealability was a wash; the Glock is thicker, but the Shield was 1/3" taller (the most important dimension for concealability).  I was carrying the 26 all the time, so I ended up getting rid of the Shield and replacing it with a G42 for the max concealability role. Nothing against the Shield, but I'll take the 26 any day.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Redhat said:

How would you guys compare it's IWB concealibility compared to the S&W Shield?

I agree with Pistolay.

I choose the G26 over the Shield due to grip length.

For full disclosure, most of the time I don't carry the G26 either, because my build and typical attire can't conceal it as well as I'd like, even though it's the best of those particular two choices for me.

My usual carry is a G43.

2 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

I agree with Pistolay.

I choose the G26 over the Shield due to grip length.

For full disclosure, most of the time I don't carry the G26 either, because my build and typical attire can't conceal it as well as I'd like, even though it's the best of those particular two choices for me.

My usual carry is a G43.

I've had a Shield for about 4 years or so and it has been very reliable...but...with my larger size hands, it's main selling point (being thin) doesn't work that well for me.  I think the G26 would work better in that area plus I like the added slide length and weight...I think it might improve shoot-ability for me at least.

• Like 1

If I could only own one firearm, it would be my gen 3 G26. I can carry it in my pocket although the draw is a tad slow. It will accept mags from the G19 and 17. Ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced compared to other calibers. I don't know if it's the gun or me but I'm dead on accurate with the 26. The 17 and 19 not quite there. Rock solid reliable right out of the box. If it gets wet, clean it, dry it out and lube. Resistant to corrosion as it's hotter than the hinges of hell and I sweat a lot and it's my deep sea fishing carry. After shooting 60 rounds of 158g .357magnum through my LCR yesterday and then 150 rounds through the G26, I realized just how nice a shooter the G26 is all over again. That and it's so damned ugly it's cute. If that matters.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Redhat said:

I've had a Shield for about 4 years or so and it has been very reliable...but...with my larger size hands, it's main selling point (being thin) doesn't work that well for me.  I think the G26 would work better in that area plus I like the added slide length and weight...I think it might improve shoot-ability for me at least.

The 26/27 slide weighs 11.6 ounces, just a smidge heavier than a CZ75 slide and that is a good part of its reliability IMO. For reference my MK9 has an 8.4 ounce slide, the Beretta Nano a 9.6 ounce slide.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, G26S239 said:

The 26/27 slide weighs 11.6 ounces, just a smidge heavier than a CZ75 slide and that is a good part of its reliability IMO. For reference my MK9 has an 8.4 ounce slide, the Beretta Nano a 9.6 ounce slide.

Interesting data points.  You don't happen to know the numbers on a G43 slide for comparison, do you? 

(Someday, I'll actually buy my own scale.  I did finally buy some calipers after years without).

Edited by Maccabeus
spelling

4 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

Interesting data points.  You don't happen to know the numbers on a G43 slide for comparison, do you? 

(Someday, I'll actually buy my own scale.  I did finally buys some calipers after years without).

My scale agrees with the quoted 11.6 ounces for the 26 slide. Be aware, that is minus the barrel and RSA. With those in place, I get 15.3 ounces.

I just measured my 43 as well. It is 10.1 naked and 13.1 with barrel and RSA.

Both of my guns have steel, fixed night sights.

Edited by TeaDub
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

So I had the opportunity to fire a G26 today at the range. It was quite accurate for a short pistol and recoil was soft. Had no problem keeping all shots in the circle of an IDPA target at 5-20 yards with Fed 115 gr ball. I compared it to my S&W Shield 9mm and though the Shield had a better trigger, due to the the width of the G26 grip, recoil control was better as well as my ability to maintain a good firing grip during extended strings of fire.

While I was there, I also installed a grip force adapter on the old G19. Not sure what I think about it yet though.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Redhat said:

Thanks

little finger goes below the plate.

glo00_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/5/2018 at 11:40 PM, Redhat said:

Thanks

It all depends on your hand size and preferred grip as to what will work best.

What I like about the Gen 5 is that I can get all three fingers on the front strap (well,  @2.4 fingers, but that's enough for some grip).  The finger grooves on my gen 3 prevent me from getting all three on there.  The grooveless G26.5 and G43 give me closer to a full grip, which I prefer. So the GeePlate doesn't appeal to me personally.

IMG_20180920_224223531.thumb.jpg.b5f0dbd315ea01f03a85bca37912cba1.jpg

(And, in answer to the "who likes the bump" questions asked elsewhere, it fits my hand just fine.)

Edited by Maccabeus
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a G26 for about 2 years, just as accurate as my G19. carried it today, with pmag 12rnd mags how I usually carry it. If my shirt is a little tight I use it with 10rnd mag and a 12 spare. Awesome pistol with truglo night sights. Yes get one.

I forgot to add I’ve not fired the shield in a while and found it to be very uncomfortable fire compared to the Glock. Looking at a G43 for deep carry. The G26 can fill that role and do the job of the G19. Mine has truglo sights neg connector and use Magpul mags as primary. Takes care of that pinkie problem. I thought it would be but it isn’t. Most of the time I pull my pinkie up against my other fingers. Carrying it you could almost forget it’s there. I like it to be my minimum I would leave the house with. The capacity is comforting 12+12 or 10+12 doesn’t matter to me. It’s nice to have a belt pistol this small that can be used like a compact. If I had my way I’d carry my G19 or G30sf out side the belt. God bless Texas. But In this mid sized city I live in discretion is valuable for defense. Iwb alien Gear the leather and plastic one is the best for me and price not to bad. Get one you’ll like it and but one of the Glock 12 rounder but the Magpul 12 carries better. I’ve had 2 loaded for about a year and a half and they feed just fine. Also there about $15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm about to take mine on a long, multi-state trip today.  It will ride IWB, with two spare 15-round magazines on my hip.  I trust it with my life.  I normally carry a 12-round GLOCK magazine in the pistol, but today I'm carrying a Magpul 12-rounder.  It's slightly smaller, and has a grippier shape on the sides if it has to be pulled out quickly.  The OEM magazine is smooth-sided.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Feel is an individual thing on the grip of a gun. I have come to like the G17s very much and recently tried out both a G43 and G26. When I pointed the G43 down range, the sight picture took a little longer for me to see each time. My eyesight isn't the best, but this was not an issue when using the G26. I also found the 43 to be a little too small in my hand which did not compute because I also shoot a P-64 regularly and do not experience this with it.

The decision was easily made,... for me it will be a G26. I like the idea of 4 additional rounds, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 7:03 PM, Redhat said:

Hi All,

I'm not a Glock fan but I've had a G19 for about 10 years.  I keep it around because it has been stone cold reliable, the slide is easy to manipulate, it has good capacity and is decently accurate.  Now I'm looking for something a bit more compact for CC purposes and so I find myself seriously considering a G26.  The only thing that makes me hesitate is the short grip and maybe the width.  So with that, I'd like to hear the pros and cons from some Baby Glock owners.

Thanks

I would look at a G43 with a +2 or +3 mag extension. Makes it much more comfy PLUS not nearly as 'fat'..easier to shoot and easier to CCW...And capacity the same as standard G26(10+1)...

• Like 1