Where do lower priced AR's cut corners to make the price point?

Boogieman

Even though I own 3 , all pre-Clinton Colt's, I must confess that I know nothing about AR's.  What in involved in the $3K+ price difference between manufacturers?  I'm in the mood for a 16" flat top with a mid length gas system.  No need for 1/8 minute accuracy but I do want something that will hold up to week long shooting classes without breaking a bolt carrier.  How do I pick out a good one without breaking the bank?

BTW   After shooting one I'm considering a Colt Combat Unit Carbine.  But even though I own 3 that have been fantastic I'm leary of Colt.  They only do things right about once every decade and who knows if right now is their sweet spot.

I don’t know the answer to your question but I have a colt and put 2,000 rounds through it over a long weekend and didn’t have a single hiccup.  Just oiled it after the first case of ammo and kept going.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R*E said:

I don’t know the answer to your question but I have a colt and put 2,000 rounds through it over a long weekend and didn’t have a single hiccup.  Just oiled it after the first case of ammo and kept going.

How old is your Colt?

Time to build your own IMO. I put one together a year ago that I call my workhorse. It came out to $1,180 without sights / scope. High quality for the best price I could find. This build might be at $950 today. Lightweight, adjustable and very accurate!

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, crockett said:

Time to build your own IMO. I put one together a year ago that I call my workhorse. It came out to $1,180 without sights / scope. High quality for the best price I could find. This build might be at $950 today. Lightweight, adjustable and very accurate!

22.png.3f0950de0a7efccad5a017124e7a6536.png

What specialty tools did you need?

11 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

What specialty tools did you need?

• a brass and steel punch set
  • brass punch hammer
  • AR-15 vise block
  • lower receiver vise block
  • barrel nut wrench,
  • barrel dimple drilling kit
  • high temp shell aeroshell grease 64

Depending on quality, I'd say this is a one time $200 to $400 investment.

• Like 1

Most of the major components are the same. There are not many forgers out there forging AR uppers and lowers, and fewer still that actually machine them. I have noted the exact same parts in low end guns, as well as the same parts in higher end guns. By exact same, I mean actually the same damn parts with the same markings on them. I have a trigger group from PSA that is marked the same as ones from DD, Rock River, and Windham. That kind of confirms that there are really not many part makers either.

The real difference in cost comes from single stage, versus two stage trigger groups, forend choices, barrel specs, and your rollmark. All your lower priced AR's will be pretty equal as long as you stick with known names.  It really adds up when you start adding on extras. A good match barrel for instance can run 500 bucks. 

• Like 1

Can't answer your question on bolts cracking other than to say  - buy from a reputable  company. Mostly, the difference in cost depends on what kind of goodies you want added to a basic AR and if you need a rifle for a specific purpose such as long distance target work.  The most accurate are usually the basic AR's with direct impingement gas system. Since there is virtually no vibration with that system they tend to be very accurate. 

If someone just wanted an entry level AR the easy answer would be the basic Ruger or S&W Sport 1 or 2. What you are looking for is obviously more. Buying all needed tools to build one rifle is pretty expensive but you can get hooked on builds and the tools will be necessary. If you are looking for something specific one of the better companies may be making the exact rifle you need.

• Like 1

Lower priced AR's from reputable companies don't cut corners - they are just basic AR's.  Even the older S&W Sport 1 didn't really cut corners. It's true it did not have a dust cover, but then, the AR files  first purchased by the Air Force did not have dust covers either. It's simple to push the bolt home with a nudge from your finger if needed. Dust covers were added later on as the Army started using the heavily. 

If you compare the original M16 to the current AR you can easily see most of the changes it has gone through. From the basic gun, you can add as much fluff as desired. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Boogieman said:

My biggest concern is the bolt and carrier.  How do you know if you are getting one that isn't prone to cracking?

I have no proof, but I do believe that a good chunk of them are made by Toolcraft. I bought a few PSA items as a hedge against the last election. One of the BCG's that came in a Freedom upper was marked as tested, and marked with an F. People had claimed that those were made by FN, but I have no proof of that either.

While I am sure that there are suspect parts out there,  people should be cautious on what they spend their money on. . 

• Like 1