Sluuuuugs

ROB

50yrds rested with Brenneke. These have some recoil, 500+gr hardcast going 1400fps IIRC. Pretty happy with accuracy.

Very nice. I am getting similar groups from my Vepr 12 with Federal Truball LE slugs at 1600 FPS. Recoil is stout!

• Like 3

Generally brennekes are great in my 870. Last time out I used two types and the light "home defense" stuff was terrible, while their 'magnum' loaded standard length shell with the heavier slug did great.

...Can't really get my head around marketing slugs for HD, though, even the 'light' load would shoot through my whole neighborhood.

How's that KSG working? I have read that some are experiencing feeding issues? They look very interesting nonetheless.

Pretty good. The early ones had issues but they have most worked out. You have to rack this thing with authority and shoot it until you break it in. There is something to be said for 15 rounds of 2 3/4 ammo though but a reload under stress would suck.

I bought a Mossberg Shockwave and that thing is a tremendous amount of fun. It holds 6 rounds but is much quicker and easier to reload. Shoots pretty accurate too plus half the cost of a KSG.

Edited by Sniffler
  • Like 4

Pretty good. The early ones had issues but they have most worked out. You have to rack this thing with authority and shoot it until you break it in. There is something to be said for 15 rounds of 2 3/4 ammo though but a reload under stress would suck.

I bought a Mossberg Shockwave and that thing is a tremendous amount of fun. It holds 6 rounds but is much quicker and easier to reload. Shoots pretty accurate too plus half the cost of a KSG.

Cool, glad to hear that yours works good. 15 rounds of 12 ga. is pretty damn awesome. Reloading that thing would definitely be a bitch like you said, but one would hope that 15 rounds would be plenty in most situations. :supergrin:

I have 12 round mags for my Vepr but I have to say they are quite huge and stick out from the mag well a little too far. I prefer to use the 8 and 10 rounders as they are a bit more practical.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

About a decade ago, I contemplated spending some time on a boat in the Florida-to-Caribbean region. I don't know why I got the thought in my head, but it took root and I started making plans. Being just a little paranoid by nature, I thought it would be nice to have a firearm on board that would not only deter would-be criminals, but would be capable of disabling their boats, if need be. So I built myself a go-fast boat stopper. I never did end up on a boat, pretending to be Jimmy Buffet, but I still have the shotgun.

I started out with a Mossberg 930 SPX semi-auto 12-gauge shotgun. The SPX version of the 930 has a pistol grip rear stock, ghost-ring sites and extended mag tube. Next, I bought a 24" Mossberg compensated, rifled slug barrel. This wasn't so much a choice, as a lack of options. I wanted a rifled slug gun, but slug guns are out of vogue, these days. The 24" rifled barrel was the only thing I could find for the 930. I thought I would make a virtue of a necessity and get an extended mag tube as long as that barrel. I ended up with a 12-gauge rifle that could hold 12 rounds of 2-3/4" slug rounds in the tube, plus one in the pipe. I that long-ass mag tube, I loaded a dozen Brenneke Penetrator slugs. Those things are a 1-3/8oz slug, moving at over 1,600fps and the lead of the slugs is about as hard as anything on the market. You guys were just discussing the Brenneke slugs though, so I guess y'all already know this.

I figured that this gun, loaded with those rounds, with a long mag tube and a Side-Saddle shell holder and shell-holder sling to boot, would be a wicked weapon to use against a speed boat. It would have a decent rate of fire and good accuracy out to at least 200 meters. I left the iron rifle sights mounted, that came on the slug barrel. Those slugs, especially when launched out of a long barrel, would have the power to penetrate the hull and do serious damage to fuel tanks, batteries, engines, stern drive units, etc, or tear apart outboard engines. If someone came after me on the water, I firmly believe that thing would have left them where they found me.

Here is the slug gun I built. I still have the original cylinder bore barrel, mag tube, picatinny receiver rail and ghost-ring sites as well. The mag tube I ended up using with the slug barrel ended up being longer than the one pictured. I had some feed problems with that tube and bought another one that was the same length as the barrel, when mounted. It fed great and gave me an extra round of capacity.

930Slug-2.thumb.jpg.a6e9369d0c95b5b6d94c799f328fa2f4.jpg

This is what the shotgun looked like originally.

930spx-mossberg.thumb.jpg.be36490b4cf93bc569ae0dff85aa81ad.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...