Ithaca 37

Glocks4Freedom

I purchased an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight in November, 2016, from Bud's Gun Shop, and it's beautiful; much nicer than one I purchased in 1999. In the past, I had an Ithaca Model 37T (Trap Gun) that was manufactured in 1951, which I inherited; wish I had kept it and had it professionally restored.

Couple of things to consider. These are probably the best quality shotguns available on the market today (I used to own two). Excellent fit and finish (which is very durable) and very smooth machining and operation. Made in the USA. Older models (from the current owner) had the fixed barrels. Newer ones you can actually remove. On the older, 5 shot models, the magazine tube was not connected with the barrel and some people reported bending issues, but I can not verify that. On the newer ones it's locking up to the barrel - just like it used to do. I think it's OK shotgun though. Just ok. Why? Not as light or quick as the older models. This receiver is 3", so the pump travels a bit farther and slower than on the older Ithacas. One action bar does not appear to have any effect on the reliability. As much as I like the bottom eject and open loading port...I hate loading without the capacity of throwing a shell directly into the chamber. For me IT'S HUGE downside on a defense model pump shotgun. Disassembly is quite complicated while comparing to 870, but one can get use to it I guess. Wood is just beautiful...and smells great :)