New pistol Stoeger STR-9

DWARREN123

Picked up a new Stoeger STR-9 (9mm) from local Rural King in Clarksville, Tn. Paid $338.42 OTD.

Comes with 3 backstraps and 3 15 round magazines, magazine loader. Comes in a cardboard box with slip on cover.

Have so far put 500 rounds thru it. Had 2 failures to completely eject fired cases in first mag (strong RSA) and 3 times slide locked back with rounds in magazine, I was hitting the slide lock with off hand thumb.

Feels somewhat like a Glock 19, gen 3/4 and the internals look like Glock. Parts are supposedly not interchangeable but does fit Glock 19 holsters.

Has been as accurate as any Glock I have owned.  The grip feels better than a Glock to me and trigger is around #7 but crisp and clean for a striker fired pistol so, to me, doesn't seem that heavy.

Also has standard 3 dot steel sights.

Low Bore Axis Image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Picked up a new Stoeger STR-9 (9mm) from local Rural King in Clarksville, Tn. Paid $338.42 OTD.

Comes with 3 backstraps and 3 15 round magazines, magazine loader. Comes in a cardboard box with slip on cover.

Have so far put 500 rounds thru it. Had 2 failures to completely eject fired cases in first mag (strong RSA) and 3 times slide locked back with rounds in magazine, I was hitting the slide lock with off hand thumb.

Feels somewhat like a Glock 19, gen 3/4 and the internals look like Glock. Parts are supposedly not interchangeable but does fit Glock 19 holsters.

Has been as accurate as any Glock I have owned.  The grip feels better than a Glock to me and trigger is around #7 but crisp and clean for a striker fired pistol so, to me, doesn't seem that heavy.

Also has standard 3 dot steel sights.

Low Bore Axis Image

All my years at Ft. Campbell, I’ve never visited any gun shop in either Clarksville or Hopkinsville. 

most of my guns were purchased in Nashville gun shows or gun shop. One pistol was purchased in Owensboro gun show , a couple of pieces picked up from a shop that was near Gate 2. That shop was ran by an ex-5th Group Captain, Alas it didn’t last long. 

I love Academy Sports.  It's nice to see them expanding eastward.  Too bad they aren't doing the same westward.

Back in the mid-1980s, there was a dude I know who owned a bunch of Valmets (this was when Valmets of all types were sold for $300-350 a pop, factor in the time period, they weren't dirt cheap but plenty cheap), one of them was chambered in 7.62x39 (I think that was the M62) and mine was the 5.56mm M76.  This was just before the influx of AKs and ammo from China, so 7.62x39 was rarer than hen's teeth and there was a weird Army surplus shop in Hopskinville that actually stocked the ammo.  That shop also had South Korean made jungle boots that can take a mean spit shine too.  

Man, I missed Ft. Campbell.  I did two years at Ft. Bragg and it was OK, but I had a lot more connection with Ft. Campbell.  

BTW, I have a feeling that the Turks will take over the economy gun segment pretty soon and their prices will probably start to rise.  Hell, I'd buy a Turk pistol over a Taurus or Ruger pistol any days.  I do have a Stoeger Cougar.  The finish isn't as slick as the Beretta Cougar but otherwise they look identical and work the same.

• 1 month later...