Shadow 2 thumb rest slide stop

jmohme

A while back I picked up a new CZ Shadow 2.

This has been the best shooting and most accurate semi auto handgun that I have ever owned and I have had zero reason to fiddle with it. Great trigger. Sights are great, and shoots well enough that it even makes me look like I might know what I am doing, so leave well enough alone.

That is easier said than done!

I was looking around on the internot, and came across in cool little item. A slide stop with a thumb rest. I have seen add on thumb rests, but they all required drilling and tapping the frame and I really had no interest in doing that. But a thumb rest that is just part of an easily changed existing part is worth a go so I ordered one.

It came in the mail yesterday.

IMG_1344.JPG

New and old.

IMG_1345.JPG

Here it is installed.

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

I have not taken it to the range yet, but I will be doing so sometime this week.

I have read some peoples concerns about this design effecting the function of the slide stop, but I doubt that is a problem since the rest is right on top of the pivot. I do not see how thumb pressure would have an effect, but a few hundred rounds should tell the story.

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not hip yet on these types of thumb rests. 

on the Berettas, they are emplaced on the takedown lever but essentially does the same thing.  It feels awkward to me, and maybe I’m a wuss but the recoil irritated my supporting thumb. EB8CB435-E27A-422D-90EA-CBEE312C4820.thumb.jpeg.fb6695d3b7f917feed642b33f8820f52.jpeg

• Like 1

This one is placed well for me. It is where my supporting hands thumb naturally comes to rest anyway.

The texture of it is pretty aggressive, so it may prove to be irritating, but if too much so, it is easy to change back.

I hope to get some range time sometime this week. 2 or 3 hundred rounds should tell the tale.

• 3 weeks later...

So after several trips to the range, I have found that the serrations on this rest are far to aggressive and after about the 3rd or 4th magazine my thumb is so irritated that it makes it very unpleasant to shoot. I gave it one more try and decided to try something different.

I considered adding something to the face. Maybe a small piece of leather, but I think more thickness would be a negative, so instead, I took it out in the shop, secured it in my machinist vise, filed the serration smooth  and reblued it.

IMG_1393s.JPG

I will give this a try and now if I feel that I need to had something for traction or padding, I have a little more room to work with.

Edited by jmohme

1 hour ago, jmohme said:

So after several trips to the range, I have found that the serrations on this rest are far to aggressive and after about the 3rd or 4th magazine my thumb is so irritated that it makes it very unpleasant to shoot. I gave it one more try and decided to try something different.

I considered adding something to the face. Maybe a small piece of leather, but I think more thickness would be a negative, so instead, I took it out in the shop, secured it in my machinist vise, filed the serration smooth  and reblued it.

IMG_1393s.JPG

I will give this a try and now if I feel that I need to had something for traction or padding, I have a little more room to work with.

Have you tried shooting the gun with gloves on?

i haven’t either so I don’t know if the 92X Performance supports thumb rest wold be more amenable.  I’m just not chic enough to shoot guns while wearing gloves. 

I find it very difficult to do anything with gloves on.

I do wear fingerless gloves when photographing horse shows for 8-12 hours straight, but fingerless gloves would not help for this. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Shadow 2 out to the range a few days ago with the smoothed out thumb rest installed and 10 17 round magazines loaded with practice ammo.

Removing the serrations made a world of difference. My thumb did not feel like it had been through a meat grinder after 170 rounds, and the smooth surface did not seem to slick. It did  also assist in faster and more accurate follow up shots. I think this is going to be a good accessory for my CZ.