Veteran Houston cop shot third time on the job 'had to go in' to gunfight

TBO

23 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

Nope I’m assuming nothing. 

But we know for a fact the cop cop lied to get his warrant. And we know for a fact that it was an undercover raid. And we know for a fact that they did not recover any quantity of heroin which was the claimed drug they were pedaling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/houston-cops-scrapping-no-knock-warrants-for-undercover-raids.amp

They did find an “unidentified white powder” and some marijuana but I haven’t seen anything that has said it has been proven to be cocaine, or any quantity. Again I’m not assuming it was or wasn’t  but I suspect if they had found a sizable amount of either, they probably would have lead with that.  

Instead we see the city implementing dramatic changes to policy, suspending the officer and telling the media that he lied, and the FBI moving in to investigate. Those are not things that make it seem like everything that happened was on the up and up.  

Per TBO's post earlier the powder has been identified as cocaine.

As to the rest - hopefully more facts will come out.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:02 PM, TBO said:

Police identify powder recovered in deadly drug raid as cocaine

Three days after the botched drug raid that left two residents dead and five officers wounded, authorities identified the unknown powder they found at the scene of the bloody bust.

The Thursday news conference revealed that the powder was cocaine, perhaps answering one of the nagging questions raised after the Pecan Park raid targeting a pair of alleged heroin dealers.

"Our number one goal," said police Chief Art Acevedo, "is always to find out the good, the bad, the ugly and to be transparent."

He went on to push back against the union chief's fiery comments on TV, offer more details about the reasons for the raid, and condemn lingering "conspiracy theories."

"There are people who believe in Flat Earth," he said. "I can't control what people think."

It started Jan. 8, he said, when an anonymous caller phoned police to complain that her daughter was "doing drugs" inside the Harding Street home. The woman was standing outside, looking in the windows, she told police, adding a warning that the couple had "a lot of guns."

When officers showed up, they didn't see anything amiss, though they spotted a passerby talking on the phone. When asked, the woman said she hadn't called 911, then turned back to her call and allegedly said, "Hey the police are at the dope house."

Stymied, police called back the woman who first complained, but she refused to give up any more info, saying she feared for her life. So the officers started an investigation.

A few weeks later, police sent in a confidential informant, who allegedly purchased some black tar heroin inside the home. The next day, undercovers in tactical gear showed up with a warrant.

They burst in the door, and shot the couple's dog, kicking off a gun battle that ended in the deaths of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas. Police said that Tuttle — a Navy veteran — snuck around the back of the house and opened fire on officers, while Nicholas reached for a wounded officer's gun.

Five officers were hurt, including one who blew out his knee. Four others were shot, and are all recovering. Police seized marijuana, some weapons and an initially unidentified powder now deemed to be cocaine.

Afterward, family and friends of the slain couple repeatedly stressed that they weren't drug users or sellers, instead describing them as quiet animal-lovers who kept to the themselves.

But union chief Joe Gamaldi sparked controversy with heated comments in a Monday press conference, where he told anyone "spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy" that "we've got your number."

"We're sick and tired of having targets on our backs," he continued. "We are sick and tired of having dirtbags trying to take our lives when all we're trying to do is protect this community and our families."

Two days later, he doubled down in a Fox & Friends interview, blaming activists and "talking heads" for "harmful narratives" ever since Michael Brown's killing in Ferguson in 2014.
Gamaldi's comments, Acevedo said, were unhelpful and only added to the "brouhaha" around the shoot-out.

"He went a little over the top," Acevedo added. "A lot over the top, if you ask me."

Acevedo repeatedly stressed that he — not Gamaldi — ran the Houston Police Department and that Gamaldi's words had had a "damaging impact." He said some other officers had barely been able to hide their displeasure at the news conference Monday — joking that one officer in particular "shouldn't play poker."

Activist Ashton Woods, who attended Thursday's press conference, demanded an apology and resignation from the outspoken union head, adding that he'd hope Acevedo would go further with his criticism of the firebrand.

"I wish he had said unabashedly that he needs to be looking for a new (police union) president," Woods said. Gamaldi, he said, "should go back to New York."

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Powder-found-in-police-raid-identified-13578839.php

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Who picks the police union president?  I am going to go out on a limb and say it's not the Chief of Police.  It is very possible Mr. Woods is a moron.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:00 AM, steve4102 said:

They raided the wrong house.

And precisely who the hell is this guy?

On 2/3/2019 at 8:18 AM, EdTracker said:

Sometimes things go wrong. It is the way of the universe.

How we address mistakes and defeats defines our character and integrity.

Wisdom in this post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AK_Stick said:

Nope I’m assuming nothing. 

But we know for a fact the cop cop lied to get his warrant. And we know for a fact that it was an undercover raid. And we know for a fact that they did not recover any quantity of heroin which was the claimed drug they were pedaling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/houston-cops-scrapping-no-knock-warrants-for-undercover-raids.amp

They did find an “unidentified white powder” and some marijuana but I haven’t seen anything that has said it has been proven to be cocaine, or any quantity. Again I’m not assuming it was or wasn’t  but I suspect if they had found a sizable amount of either, they probably would have lead with that.  

Instead we see the city implementing dramatic changes to policy, suspending the officer and telling the media that he lied, and the FBI moving in to investigate. Those are not things that make it seem like everything that happened was on the up and up.  

What is an undercover raid?  

The occupants of the house didn't know the police were at the wrong house.  The occupants knew they had drugs in the house, knew the police were at their house and likely believed the police were there for them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATCHMAN said:

What is an undercover raid?  

The occupants of the house didn't know the police were at the wrong house.  The occupants knew they had drugs in the house, knew the police were at their house and likely believed the police were there for them.  

I would bet good money you could find minor amounts of dugs in a large number of houses in America. 

I would like to see your proof of proof of any of the things you just posted. But we both know you’re making **** up. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Per TBO's post earlier the powder has been identified as cocaine.

As to the rest - hopefully more facts will come out.

Still being reported as unidentified by a good number of places. 

I wouldnt be surprised if you could find small small amounts of recreational use coke or weed in many houses in America. 

I would be more surprised if you couldn’t find something illegal in most homes. 

2 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

I would bet good money you could find minor amounts of dugs in a large number of houses in America. 

I would like to see your proof of proof of any of the things you just posted. But we both know you’re making **** up. 

As far I know, cocaine is still illegal in Texas.  It was found in their home.  Are you arguing they didn't know they had illegal drugs in their home?  

They knew they had illegal drugs in their house.  They knew the police were entering their house.  And they believed the police were there for them.   

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Will Beararms said:

Houston is an hot mess.  Texas needs to form its own Border Patrol. Sad story. Glad I don’t work in Houston anymore. 

Houston is Texas's version of Chicago.  You want to watch the weather in the morning, and find out how many people murdered each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far I know, cocaine is still illegal in Texas.  It was found in their home.  Are you arguing they didn't know they had illegal drugs in their home?  

They knew they had illegal drugs in their house.  They knew the police were entering their house.  And they believed the police were there for them.   

No I'm saying that I doubt they shot it out with the police over what was from all accounts a recreational amount of drugs. 

Especially given the way the police and city have reacted. Banning undercover raids from using no-knock raids without case by case approval from the commissioner  

Im asking you to prove your assumption that they knew it was the police. Which you know you can’t. 

No I'm saying that I doubt they shot it out with the police over what was from all accounts a recreational amount of drugs. 

Especially given the way the police and city have reacted. Banning undercover raids from using no-knock raids without case by case approval from the commissioner  

Im asking you to prove your assumption that they knew it was the police. Which you know you can’t. 

Why don't you show how they didn't know it was the police?  That's your assertion, right?  

Edited by PATCHMAN

What facts do you have that cast doubts they shot it out for only "recreational" amounts? 

Did you know them enough to know their mindset?    

They knew they had drugs in the house. The knew the police was there.  The believed the police was there for them.  

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 2

What facts do you have that cast doubts they shot it out for only "recreational" amounts? 

Did you know them enough to know their mindset?    

They knew they had drugs in the house. The knew the police was there.  The believed the police was there for them.  

If it’s so simple, prove it. 

The way the city and PD is reacting, does not lend credit to your assertion. If it had been legit, they wouldn’t be eating one of their own.  

Edited by AK_Stick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

If it’s so simple, prove it. 

The way the city and PD is reacting, does not lend credit to your assertion. If it had been legit, they wouldn’t be eating one of their own.  

Show me what you got that proves I'm wrong about they had drugs in their house, that drugs are still illegal in TX, that they knew the it was police at their house, and they believed the police were after them.   

Edited by PATCHMAN

3 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

Show me what you got that proves I'm wrong about they had drugs in their house, that drugs are still illegal in TX, that they knew the it was police at their house, and they believed the police were after them.   

I already have, repeatedly. 

Why can’t you man up on your side? 

7 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

Like I said, show me.  

Guess you need to re-read what I’ve posted several times... 

We’re still waiting for you to prove your statements. But I think we all know you’re gonna keep deflecting. 

Integrity check patchman. 

On 2/22/2019 at 11:01 PM, AK_Stick said:

Guess you need to re-read what I’ve posted several times... 

We’re still waiting for you to prove your statements. But I think we all know you’re gonna keep deflecting. 

Integrity check patchman. 

Integrity check, AK.  

7 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

Integrity check, AK.  

The ball is squarely in your court here.   

I have already posted the facts you want. But you continue to deflect and dodge. You going to actually put up? Or will you admit that you can’t? 

14 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

The ball is squarely in your court here.   

I have already posted the facts you want. But you continue to deflect and dodge. You going to actually put up? Or will you admit that you can’t? 

I know you don't like what I've posted because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

But... news articles reported that in the course of the post-investigation, cocaine was found in the house.  It was also reported that at least one third-party 9-1-1 call (by a female caller) described the house to 9-1-1 as a drug house.  And the LEO who responded to that call allegedly overheard a woman say on her phone "Hey the police are at the dope house."

Fast forward to the raid... The police enters the house and makes themselves known they're there.  The man and woman know they have cocaine in their house.  Presumably they also know cocaine is still illegal in Texas.  They likely did not know the police were at the wrong house because they never asked the police.  Instead, they immediately started firing on the police because they believed they police were there for them.          

9 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

I know you don't like what I've posted because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

But... news articles reported that in the course of the post-investigation, cocaine was found in the house.  It was also reported that at least one third-party 9-1-1 call (by a female caller) described the house to 9-1-1 as a drug house.  And the LEO who responded to that call allegedly overheard a woman say on her phone "Hey the police are at the dope house."

Fast forward to the raid... The police enters the house and makes themselves known they're there.  The man and woman know they have cocaine in their house.  Presumably they also know cocaine is still illegal in Texas.  They likely did not know the police were at the wrong house because they never asked the police.  Instead, they immediately started firing on the police because they believed they police were there for them.          

Except that you’re assuming quite a bit to try and justify your narrative. 

Assumptions that are not supported by the facts of the case, or the reaction of the police department. 

And now you’ve been caught lying about so badly that you can’t back down, even though it’s become apparent that even the police think this was a bad raid. 

Sad really when even KA has seen the writing on the wall and bailed on his argument and you’re still trying. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

Except that you’re assuming quite a bit to try and justify your narrative. 

Assumptions that are not supported by the facts of the case, or the reaction of the police department. 

And now you’ve been caught lying about so badly that you can’t back down, even though it’s become apparent that even the police think this was a bad raid. 

Sad really when even KA has seen the writing on the wall and bailed on his argument and you’re still trying. 

It's been reported there are issues surrounding the procedural aspects of how the warrant was obtained and whether they hit the wrong house.  I've not addressed that.  I offered a scenario as to why the man and his wife in the raid house reacted so quickly to shoot it out with the cops.  The scenario goes like this: 

The police enters the house and makes themselves known they're there.  The man and woman know they have cocaine in their house.  Presumably they also know cocaine is still illegal in Texas.  They likely did not know the police were at the wrong house because they never asked the police.  Instead, they immediately started firing on the police because they believed they police were there for them.          

I know you don't like  reading what I'm posting...    :dunno:    

No, I don’t like the assumptions you’re attempting to pass of as fact, which was what started the whole **** show. 

That you’ve constructed a scenario to justify the end result you want to see portrayed doesn’t really mean anything  especially when it’s not factually supported. Which your case isn’t. 

But it’s clear that you’ll never admit it  

3 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

No, I don’t like the assumptions you’re attempting to pass of as fact, which was what started the whole **** show. 

That you’ve constructed a scenario to justify the end result you want to see portrayed doesn’t really mean anything  especially when it’s not factually supported. Which your case isn’t. 

But it’s clear that you’ll never admit it  

What has been reported so far:

-At least one third party called 9-1-1 to report that the house was a drug house.

-The officer responding to the 9-1-1 call overheard a woman (not sure if same as the caller) say on her phone that "the police are at the dope house."

-During the post investigation, a substance later tested to be cocaine was found in the home.

-The man and woman began firing on the LEOs almost immediately, if not immediately, after the police entered the home. 

-In the course of the shootout, both the man and woman were in positions to realize LEOs were involved. 

-The man and woman continued to fight until they were stopped.  

Filling in the blanks:  Cocaine is illegal in Texas.  The man and woman knew (or should have known- "it's not my house" defense???) they had cocaine in the house.  They didn't know the police weren't suppose to be at their house.  They likely believed the cops were there for them.    

:dunno:

Edited by PATCHMAN

Ok dude

Your argument is they knew the cops were there and shot it out over 1.5 grams of cocaine. 

In response the police who call it an undercover no-knock raid banned such practices. 

Does not support your scenario. 

Edited by AK_Stick

18 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Ok dude

Your argument is they knew the cops were there and shot it out over 1.5 grams of cocaine. 

In response the police who call it an undercover no-knock raid banned such practices. 

Does not support your scenario. 

You are unable to separate what happened during the raid and the policy changes made by the PD.  Did the raid directly influence the PD to change their no-knock policy?  Or was the PD already thinking about ending no-knocks and this raid was what spurred them to do it?   

So not having no-knock policy, you guaranteeing BGs won't shoot it out with LEOs during search warrants?  Silly you...