Low carbs and fat is good for you!

AerynSun2

From the article:

"The new research is unlikely to end the decades-long debate over the best diet for weight loss. But it provides strong new evidence that all calories are not metabolically alike to the body. And it suggests that the popular advice on weight loss promoted by health authorities — count calories, reduce portion sizes and lower your fat intake — might be outdated.

Dr. Mozaffarian called the findings “profound” and said they contradicted the conventional wisdom on calorie counting. “It’s time to shift guidelines, government policy and industry priorities away from calories and low-fat and toward better diet quality.”

• Like 1

I know that I feel better on a low-carb diet when mixed with more greens and less meat.  While I can technically eat all the bacon and sausage and cheese I want, it doesn't make me feel nearly as good as eating at least one salad a day more lean meat.

I took a carb vacation while down at the cabin the last couple of days and felt like crap.  Back on track today and feeling better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

I know that I feel better on a low-carb diet when mixed with more greens and less meat.  While I can technically eat all the bacon and sausage and cheese I want, it doesn't make me feel nearly as good as eating at least one salad a day more lean meat.

I took a carb vacation while down at the cabin the last couple of days and felt like crap.  Back on track today and feeling better.

You do look a little constipated. 

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

Same here. I let it slide and bought into the Christmas candy and some other high carb items about a week ago. Way too much sugar. Feel like crap and some symptoms I used to deal with are coming back.

Eating my last package of these right now... and won't buy any again...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI-60dG5khWIauIRV5N 

• Like 1

I am on a charter this week in Richmond, VA. The group I am with, we went out to a foo foo Italian place tonight. I had lasagna, it tasted terrible. Too much starch, weak tasting like Stouffers out of the frozen food section. Should have gotten chicken parm.

I may need to get new work pants soon, need a slimmer cut, same size.

It is funny how people want to believe the latest food diet bullshit that comes out from the same people that were wrong about it the last 9 million times.  That said, I tend to agree with this, carbs always make me feel like ****, especially if they are fast burning carbs.

My dad was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1950, given 5-10 years to live, died in 97, not from complications of diabetes.  When I was diagnosed with type 2, I went on the recommended diet and started taking the recommended pills.  

Took a look at what kept dad going, started Adkins, which is low carb, Keto or whatever, but the same diet as dad was given in 50, got off the pills, and never have been back on them.  I avoid all low fat stuff, as well as the usual carbs.  Still a Type 2, so I have to see eye, heart, foot, and regular doctor for monitoring.  

All my doctors tell me that I am disgustingly healthy.  Healthy for me, disgusting for their bank accounts ? 

Hawk

• Like 3

Years ago, my wife and I went on the Atkins diet. We both lost 30 pounds in fairly short order. We backslid and gained it all back - and more. About a year ago I had reached 222 pounds and was decidedly porky. I started cutting down on carbs and the weight started coming off. Six months ago I learned that I have mild type 2 diabetes and got serious about cutting down on carbs. I'm now down to 180 and still losing. I eat anything I want and as much of it as I want - just not carbs. My doctor looked at my blood panel and could not believe that I am not taking a cholesterol lowering drug. My bad cholesterol is very, very low.

I'll go back in a few months and have another panel done. I'm hoping my A1C will be in the normal range. Of course, "Hope springs eternal."

• Like 1

I always find these discussions interesting.  No matter which diet or lifestyle you investigate, there are experts, scientists, doctors, & studies that claim any given diet is the best.

And, everybody's experiences seem to be different.

On the similar thread over at TOS, I wrote this regarding my fairly high carb diet:

My how to stay the same size for decades diet: Portion control. A good proportion of fruits & veggies. A small proportion of nuts & seeds. Lots of water. Don't drink any calories. Little to no snacking. A good night's sleep. Some basic exercise.
     As long as I do the above, I can eat all kinds of carbs in moderation. Bread, pastas, rice, popcorn, tortilla chips. In fact, they are the staples of my diet. I don't do much meat or dairy.

I know some people have great success with low carb or high protein or high fat or some combination of them all; however, I'm not sure it's the best for long term health.

Heart disease, cancer, & stroke are 3 of the top 5 killers in modern America.  A low fat, low animal protein, plant based diet lowers risks in all three categories.  (If you are willing to go vegan, the statistics of surviving those killers are even better, but I'm not willing to go there!)  Countless other illnesses & problems are associated with obesity, which can also be reduced on a low fat/protein, plant centered diet.

I've spent the last 30 years or so, eating either a nearly vegetarian diet (maybe 10-12 servings of meat in a year's time) or, more recently, a low meat diet (10-12 servings per month).  My blood pressure is great.  My bloodwork is great.  I feel good. 

I deal with people all week long.  Many of them are in terrible shape.  Quite a few are suffering or dying from Western culture's big killers.  They tend to eat an animal product centered diet with refined foods and fatty foods (and lots of each).  And they love to say, "You're so skinny. You need to eat more."  No thanks.  I'm not interested in stents, bypass surgeries, increased cancer risks, and all the rest.  I think I'll have a piece a fruit, a handful of nuts, and some popcorn popped in olive oil instead.  Actually, tonight's menu is red potatoes.  Served with onions & zucchini and some fresh fruit.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

I always find these discussions interesting.  No matter which diet or lifestyle you investigate, there are experts, scientists, doctors, & studies that claim any given diet is the best.

On the similar thread over at TOS, I wrote this regarding my fairly high carb diet:

My how to stay the same size for decades diet: Portion control. A good proportion of fruits & veggies. A small proportion of nuts & seeds. Lots of water. Don't drink any calories. Little to no snacking. A good night's sleep. Some basic exercise.
     As long as I do the above, I can eat all kinds of carbs in moderation. Bread, pastas, rice, popcorn, tortilla chips. In fact, they are the staples of my diet. I don't do much meat or dairy.

I know some people have great success with low carb or high protein or high fat or some combination of them all; however, I'm not sure it's the best for long term health.

Heart disease, cancer, & stroke are 3 of the top 5 killers in modern America.  A low fat, low animal protein, plant based diet lowers risks in all three categories.  (If you are willing to go vegan, the statistics of surviving those killers are even better, but I'm not willing to go there!)  Countless other illnesses & problems are associated with obesity, which can also be reduced on a low fat/protein, plant centered diet.

I've spent the last 30 years or so, eating either a nearly vegetarian diet (maybe 10-12 servings of meat in a year's time) or, more recently, a low meat diet (10-12 servings per month).  My blood pressure is great.  My bloodwork is great.  I feel good. 

I deal with people all week long.  Many of them are in terrible shape.  Quite a few are suffering or dying from Western culture's big killers.  They tend to eat an animal product centered diet with refined foods and fatty foods (and lots of each).  And they love to say, "You're so skinny. You need to eat more."  No thanks.  I'm not interested in stents, bypass surgeries, increased cancer risks, and all the rest.  I think I'll have a piece a fruit, a handful of nuts, and some popcorn popped in olive oil instead.  Actually, tonight's menu is red potatoes.  Served with onions & zucchini and some fresh fruit.  

A lot of words without a position. 

As Michael Pollan says of the perfect diet, “Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.” I lost 85 pounds (230 to 145) five years ago and have kept it off easily by severely limiting bread, sugar, white rice, and white potatoes.

Everything else I eat in moderation, concentrating on nutrient-dense foods, listening to my body, only eating when I’m hungry, and recognizing that what I feel as hunger may actually be thirst. I eat for my weight and exercise for my health.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AerynSun2 said:

A lot of words without a position. 

Sorry, sometimes I get wordy.

My position is actually repeated about 3 times in the post.  It's basically the same one quoted by Taipei in the post following mine:

1 hour ago, Taipei Personality said:

“Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.”

Position #2:  Position #1 has worked for me for 3 decades. (Therefore, I recommend it to others).

Position #3:  I can only speak definitively to my experience.  YMMV.

bene valetudo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

On point and where I arrived recently. No processed food, no dairy, almost all organic and none GMO, lots of greens, avocados, nuts, eggs, but no seeds or grains (too many different proteins like gluten that cause allergic reactions. No refined sugars, major cancer threat.

Steam distilled water and tea based on distilled water. You won't believe the stinky crap that is left behind from tap and bottled water. Full with toxins, fertilizer, chemicals and bacteria.

Not my video, but I used the same distiller. I have the same crap left behind with every half gallon of water:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crockett said:

On point and where I arrived recently. No processed food, no dairy, almost all organic and none GMO, lots of greens, avocados, nuts, eggs, but no seeds or grains (too many different proteins like gluten that cause allergic reactions. No refined sugars, major cancer threat.

That's a good mix and better than what I eat.  I still eat a moderate amount of grains, but dairy is my tripping point.

A moderate lactose intolerance that I finally recognized in adulthood led me to research different diets and led me away from many animal products, but I cut out most other forms of dairy so I could still eat ice cream without hitting my intolerance threshold. Not the best choice, but it is tasty!

8 hours ago, crockett said:

... Steam distilled water and tea based on distilled water. You won't believe the stinky crap that is left behind from tap and bottled water. Full with toxins, fertilizer, chemicals and bacteria...

I've used a Big Berkey filter for years for my drinking water, in hopes of removing some of the junk but not losing the important minerals like distilling causes.

So, you distill your own vs. buying? 

Any uses besides streaming and tea?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

That's a good mix and better than what I eat.  I still eat a moderate amount of grains, but dairy is my tripping point.

A moderate lactose intolerance that I finally recognized in adulthood led me to research different diets and led me away from many animal products, but I cut out most other forms of dairy so I could still eat ice cream without hitting my intolerance threshold. Not the best choice, but it is tasty!

I've used a Big Berkey filter for years for my drinking water, in hopes of removing some of the junk but not losing the important minerals like distilling causes.

So, you distill your own vs. buying? 

Any uses besides streaming and tea?  

I can eat my beloved caprese salad once a week without too many consequences, but fresh milk or cream gets me down for several days. Aged cheese is ok, but I don't push it. Since I can't eat any grains, bread, pasta and pizza is completely removed from my diet. And that parts really sucks.

Store bought distilled water is remineralized, and I don't trust that. We access some 90 plus percent of all needed minerals through the items we eat, which is why I have skipped on mineral-intake through water. Been doing this for many years without any issues. I use it only for drinking purposes, for cooking I use water coming out of my 5 station reverse osmosis filter system.

• Like 1