On 6/30/2018 at 9:59 AM, Rev. said:

Morning everyone, I have a question for the panel. 

Which red dot sight is best for around  $250? Thanks. 

From my experience, optics are one of those things where you nearly always get what you pay for and unless you have flip op sights or are cowitnessed, the optic could fail at an unfortunate time and leave you with no way to aim accurately. I have the one linked below and it can be had for sub $400 if you do some searching. I know its above your price point, but it is well worth it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/514855/aimpoint-pro-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-2-moa-dot-with-picatinny-style-mount-matte

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the prism type sights. 

I have three Vortex Spitifires on my SBRs, and find them to be the best for me. They have an etched glass reticle that shows up black with the sight turned off, but with the power on, they have both red and green illumination as well.

Edited by 9x19
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, crockett said:

Here is a great red dot for about $299.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/vortex-strike-eagle-scope-1-6x24-ar-bdc-reticle.html

Illuminated, 1 - 6, will still have crosshairs when battery dies unlike a red dot, much better field of view, better eye box, more details and all around better vision!

opplanet-vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-ar-b

I've got the 1-4X24 on an AR and love it.  The etched reticle and near 1x magnification really does make it a red dot killer if you don't mind the weight and bulk.

BMSnakeSkin.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

I've got the 1-4X24 on an AR and love it.  The etched reticle and near 1x magnification really does make it a red dot killer if you don't mind the weight and bulk.

BMSnakeSkin.jpg

I got a true 1 Kahles 1 - 6. It is hard to accept anything else after experiences.

A lightweight and cheap option is the Vortex 1x24 Muzzleloader scope at only 8 ounces for just $125.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've had really good luck with the Bushnell TRS-25.  There is a newer version coming out with auto on/off, and better battery life, I believe.  But the old model works great for me.  You can get them all day long for <$50.

That said, I've been very tempted by the Vortex 1x4 or 1x6 that was posted earlier.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Collim1 said:

I’ve had back luck with expensive optics, no way I would go as cheap as $250. 

I have all but one of my rifles setup with iron sights at the moment. A Trijicon MRO rides on my Patrol Rifle. That’s as cheap an optic as I’d go. 

For a patrol rifle that’s with you everyday,  no doubt.  

The TRS-25 has never let me down on my plinkers.  

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 12:05 PM, syntaxerrorsix said:

For $100 less you can enjoy this one.  I've got nothing but great things to say about it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BJ3ZXD0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of those on my EVO also, really like it there. But I put it on the tall riser mount. I tried it with the co-witness, with the EVO stock sights, IMO, there was just too much to look thru so I put it up high. Someone recently pointed out what if, for some reason, your red dot gets caked with mud? Now you don't have either irons or glass to use. So I have it set up tall, seems to be less cranking on my neck. Was also considering the Holosun that had a ACOG style reticle, but just too expensive for my purposes.

The one I bought is for a Windham SRC.

I was watching a bunch of youtube videos, I had a knockoff Magpul type AFG2 in my parts bin. It is built to attach to a rail, Magpul makes an adaptor that makes it mount flat to the low side of my EVO( the brace and faux suppressor version) It is mlok, ordered one of those too. That AFG really transforms my front grip, it is beefy, comfortable. I had some kind of fancy shmancy metal finger hook grip that I never found to be comfortable.

Edited by ARP
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 11:45 PM, ARP said:

I have one of those on my EVO also, really like it there. But I put it on the tall riser mount. I tried it with the co-witness, with the EVO stock sights, IMO, there was just too much to look thru so I put it up high. Someone recently pointed out what if, for some reason, your red dot gets caked with mud? Now you don't have either irons or glass to use. So I have it set up tall, seems to be less cranking on my neck. Was also considering the Holosun that had a ACOG style reticle, but just too expensive for my purposes.

The one I bought is for a Windham SRC.

I was watching a bunch of youtube videos, I had a knockoff Magpul type AFG2 in my parts bin. It is built to attach to a rail, Magpul makes an adaptor that makes it mount flat to the low side of my EVO( the brace and faux suppressor version) It is mlok, ordered one of those too. That AFG really transforms my front grip, it is beefy, comfortable. I had some kind of fancy shmancy metal finger hook grip that I never found to be comfortable.

I have zero issue with an absolute co-witness.  Using the red dot I don't need to use the exact cheek weld I need for the iron sights so I don't even see them.  Risers are usually seen on ARs so that you can see over a fixed front sight.  No such issue with the Scorpion.  As to mud?  Mud can get on iron sights and needs to be cleared off as well.  I've not ever had that issue in a decade of military service so I feel it's unlikely to be a great concern in my civilian life but to each their own.  

I find the grip a little blocky with AFG so I adjusted the hand stop so that my finger fell naturally on the TLR-1 switch.

Unfortunately I had the occasion to use the weapon to run off a couple of thieves that were breaking into our vehicles a few nights back.  Everything felt as natural as I could hope for in a stressful situation.  I'm pretty confident in my setup and thankful I didn't have to blast anyone that night.  Something I never considered was how important foot wear is.  I'm not a tender foot in the least but I earned two good size blood blisters and two regular ones on my feet after the altercation.  Now a pair of boots lives next to the bed that I can jump in to :D

Edited by syntaxerrorsix
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2018 at 7:04 AM, Roger1079 said:

From my experience, optics are one of those things where you nearly always get what you pay for and unless you have flip op sights or are cowitnessed, the optic could fail at an unfortunate time and leave you with no way to aim accurately. I have the one linked below and it can be had for sub $400 if you do some searching. I know its above your price point, but it is well worth it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/514855/aimpoint-pro-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-2-moa-dot-with-picatinny-style-mount-matte

If you can wait on the Aimpoint Pro, like till Black Friday, SKD and PSA usually blow them out for $370 or less. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...