Richmond police plan weapons ban at pro-Confederate protest Saturday on Monument Avenue

RussP

Richmond police plan weapons ban at pro-Confederate protest Saturday on Monument Avenue

Authorities are planning to cordon off a “weapons-free assembly zone” around the statue of Robert E. Lee on Monument Avenue in an effort to head off any potential violence at a rally to support preserving Confederate monuments planned for Saturday.

“We do not want what happened in Charlottesville to happen in Richmond,” said Richmond Police Chief Alfred Durham in a letter distributed to residents this week.

Durham described plans to ban items such as sticks, bats and knives at a community meeting held by Councilwoman Kim Gray last week, according to several people who were there. It’s unclear whether the ban would extend to guns – a potentially thorny legal issue in a state that allows the open carry of firearms.

Let's see if they go for firearms, too...

• Like 1

Later in the article...

Gun ban would present legal issue

City officials have not addressed whether the weapon ban would extend to guns.

“I can’t say what types of weapons because the law is unclear,” said Gray, whose council district includes much of the Fan, “but it has been a topic of discussion – what particular items can and can’t be banned from these types of rallies.”

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I warned some time ago that this idiocy over the Confederate flag removals would not end there; and would not only lead to more insanity on the left (and more caving to their abject foolery and their calls for anarchy), it would almost certainly cost lives and millions of dollars. For nothing.

This as I advised then, should have NEVER been tolerated at the beginning. The lies about our flag and now the monuments honoring our valorous dead have gone off the deep end. Again as I warned it would.

You cannot reason with the left. You cannot get them to accept documented historical facts. Above all you CANNOT cave to them. They will come back demanding ever more concessions and are never satisfied. 

Exactly like the anti gun movement. We cave. They advance. They never give an inch in return, and demand more concessions. We get nothing, and they call this "reasonable" and "sensible", while it is neither. 

Gray_Rider

Unapologetic 

Old Secessh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is nearly two years old...I can assure you that there were lots of pro-statue folks from the Southern and Eastern parts of the city that showed up armed, regardless of a ban  

It ebbs and flows here regarding the CS monuments- the majority of the statues are unable to be removed legally w/o a vote in the Gen Assembly as they aren't owned by the City of Richmond. When local dems feel the need to grandstand they simply bring up the CS statues on Monument Ave. 

Regarding history, Richmond has always grappled with how to interpret its unique history, particularly when it comes to public space.

Edited by Valmet
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 5:00 PM, janice6 said:

I'm afraid those ******* will be met by some "Richards".

Tell me again, where your eyes' are.

Would just love to hit this brainless wretch in the face with a pie...SPLATTT!

Just beyond disgusting, and yes that is EXACTLY what she is!

Gray_Rider

Old Secessh

Edited by Gray_Rider
  • Thanks 1