CAS Florida State match

Wyzz Kydd

I thought I would try something new here on TBS.

Friday was the first day of the SASS Florida State Championship. I’ve been working on speeding up my pistols and went to the match with the goal of making the top 16 shoot off. There are 200 shooters and multiple past and present SASS world champions including Matt Black who has won the overall WC many times. My wife and two younger sons shot the match with me.

I was the ‘Posse Marshal’ for posse 5 and we started on Stage 5. 

The scene was the jail from Silverado when Mal’s Sister was stabbed. My videographer (my wife) failed to record me. Her pay ($0) was cut in half.

Stage called for 4 pistols on the first target and 6 on the second as well as 4 rifles on the first target then the six knock downs. Finish with four shotguns ( always unloaded and misses can be made up)

I will substitute my middle son’s video (due to the videographer’s egregious error) in a moment

We then moved to Stage 1, from 3:10 to Yuma. The stage called for 10 rifle, one on a knockdown target, two on each of the stationary targets one on a knockdown then two on each stationary. Pistols were split 1 knockdown two on each stationary, repeat, then two shotguns. I did ok at 16 seconds clean.

Stage 2 was from The Good the Bad and the Ugly where the one armed man ambushes Tuco in the bath. I love the line, ‘when it’s time to shoot, shoot. The stage called for alternating two pistols on each target for six rounds then one on each for four rounds. Rifle was the same, then six shotgun.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

Stage 3 was from True Grit, where John Wayne charges Robert Duvall with his reins in his teeth and rifle in hand. The Stage called for 10 rifle, 1 each on diagonal targets, three each on the other diagonal targets, the 1 each on the  first two diagonal targets. Pistols were the same then four shotgun targets.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

Stage 4 was from Quigley Down Under, another great starting line: “This ain’t Dodge City and you ain’t Bill Hickock”

The stage was what we call a round count stage, order didn’t matter but the targets called for 3 each, the inner called for 2 each and the middle for 5 each, then 2 shotgun from one location and 2 more from another. I chose to shoot the outer and inner targets with my rifle and the bigger middle targets with my pistols.

Day 2 started with the final bar scene from Unforgiven where Clint shoot’s Gene with a shotgun. Stage 10. The stage called for 4 shotgun, one a flyer, then 10 rifle in  a diagonal ‘Nevada Sweep’ followed by 5 on the center target. Pistols were the same. A Nevada Sweep is 3 targets once each in a row then the center target then the first target, so 1,2,3,2,1. I shot 1,2,3,2, saw the center target and instead of shooting 1 again then the 5 round dump, dumped 6 on target 2. This earned me a 10 second penalty for being boneheaded.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

Stage 6 was from Tombstone where Doc Holiday stabs Ed over a card game. The stage called for starting back to targets knife in Ed. 4 shotgun, then 10 rifle on four targets in a ‘Lawrence Welk’ sweep. Pistols were the same. 

A Lawrence Welk sweep is 1 on one, 2 on two, 3 on three, and 4 on four. Still thinking of the 10 second penalty I pulled the rifle double tap on target two which earned me a 5 second penalty.

Stage 7 was the Missouri boat ride from The Outlaw Josey Wales. The stage was six shotgun (split 2-4) shooters choice pistol/rifle, rifle/pistol, round count each target must get at least 6 rounds. I chose 3-4-3 s,r/p,s. It was a good run for that type stage and got me back in the groove.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

Stage 8 was great. It was from Once Upon a Time in the West. Harmonica is at the train station facing three men sent to ‘pick him up’. They only have their three horses. The leader says they didn’t bring enough horses, Harmonica says ‘You brought two too many’. 

The stage called for 10 rifle, 3 in the middle, sweep the three targets, then 4 in the middle, finish with 4 shotgun.

Stage 9 final stage. The shoot out in Open Range. The stage called for 10 rifle alternating 5 on the left two targets then 5 on the right two targets. Pistols. The same, then finish with 4 shotgun. This was the only stage where I disagreed with a call, though I kept my mouth shut. The spotter best situated to see the pistol shot called an edger, the other two called a miss. That cost me 5 seconds.

So, 20 seconds in penalties later I ended up at 18 out of 200 instead of 12 out of 200, but......I made it into the Top 16 shootout as an alternate when two shooters couldn’t continue.

The shootout called for 10 pistol knockdowns, 10 rifle knockdowns, then 3 shotgun and the winning knockdown. I drew Fast Eddie, who finished 4th overall and who I’ve beaten, but rarely. As you’ll see I had the edge up to the shotgun reload, but muffed it. 

This is what a SASS State match looks like. You should give it a try!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.