It's hockey playoff season

tous

8 hours ago, tous said:

ARP, the Penguins just never seemed to find their play-off hockey gear.

They were sleep walking through most of the games.

And Murry didn't rise to the occasion.

Next year, eh?

I suspect a major house cleaning/retooling is coming. It will be more in the model of the NYI. PGH has a lot of great upcoming talent in the minors, would not surprise me if a Mulkin or Letang are traded.

The East teams seem to be scoring 3+ goals per team per game.

The West 2 or less.

So, does this mean that the East has better scorers or the West has better goalies?

It just occurred to me that if the finals feature the Blues and the Leafs, one team will end a 50+ year drought.

Game on, eh!

• Like 1

Apparently, NBC has peruaded the NHL to change the rules of the game.

Whenever there is a stop in play, the game must be postponed so NBC can air the same three commercials.  :miff:

NBC hockey analysts don't seem to realize that there is a western conference.

And this year NBC will cover the Indianapolis 500.

I wonder if they'll stop the race every ten minutes for commercials.

I hate NBC sports coverage.

I almost cried when they traded Oshie from the Blues to the Capitals.

In last night's game, Vegas outplayed San Jose nearly every second of the game and still lost in over time.

It was really Vegas against Jones; Jones was phenomenal -- that night.

• Like 1

Oveckin is the big NHL name on the caps, in my opinion TJ Oshie makes that team go, great puck handler sometimes it looks like he's got it on a string, 25 goals don't remember how many assists he's going to be sorely missed. He got checked into the boards at a weird angle and busted the collar bone ..

• Like 1

I've got a Red Wings ball-cap,  but no Penguins stuff.  (I do have some sweaters from the 90's)  (and even a raggy blue/white one from the 70's)

I rooted for Vegas last year.  (I have their cap, too)

I like Washington.  Ovechkin is the real-deal.  Like, from the 70's.

People here hate me.

• Like 1

I agree that Oshie is a great puck handler, but I have to give the prize to Jason Spezza.

When he was in his prime with Ottawa he was just a joy to watch.

I expect that he will retire after this season.  Another player that never won a Cup, but deseerved to.

For passing, I nominate the Sedin brothers.  They were also just a joy to watch play the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

I've got a Red Wings ball-cap,  but no Penguins stuff.  (I do have some sweaters from the 90's)  (and even a raggy blue/white one from the 70's)

I rooted for Vegas last year.  (I have their cap, too)

I like Washington.  Ovechkin is the real-deal.  Like, from the 70's.

People here hate me.

I got to watch Brett Hull in his prime for many years, but didn't really care much for him.

He stood off and waited to get fed.  I prefer forwards that can park in front of the net and dig pucks off the boards.

I agree that Overchkin is the real deal is all aspects of the game: checking, skating, passing, shooting.

<--- has a rare St. Louis Blues #99 Gretzky sweater.

• Like 1

I got to see Gretzky play against Lemieux (in NC, of all places).

Gretzky was small.  His legs moved so fast all the time,  like the roadrunner.

Mario always looked like he was moving in slow motion.  His legs shut went, swish, swish, swish.  Then you noticed that he was going twice as fast as everyone else.

• Like 2

Once, Gretzky and some other guy broke in...  Gretzky had the puck....  and at the last second he passed to the other guy.  The guy took a shot.

And they did it again.  The other guy shot.

And they did it again.  The other guy shot.

And they did it again.  This time the goalie threw his whole body to the other side of the net.

Gretzky didn't even shoot,  he just let it slide into the open goal.

• Like 1

I worked for a very large Canadian company, in NC.  We had, like, five adult-league teams

We thought our team was pretty good,  so we picked up some ringers from the colleges,  and signed up for the State Games (charity).

The first game, we had almost two lines.  Some guys had numbers drawn on their backs with magic-markers.  We thought we were pretty good.

The other team skated out with three full lines,  all their equipment matched,  and they had two goalies.

Uh-oh.

We lost 10 - 1.

• Haha 2

Upstairs at this place (Greensboro),  the new Hurricanes were having a big party,  trying to sell boxes and sponsorships to bankers and corporations.  The Cup was up there;  we saw the truck.

We were in the locker room, after the game, and Ronnie Francis walked in and said, "Wow!  Guys!  Some of those moves, I've never seen before!  You killed them!  Some of you should think about moving up!  Call me!"

Then someone informed him that we were the ones that lost.

Without missing a beat, he said, "Wow!  Guys!  Way to never give up!  You fought to the end!  What guts!  You're heros!"

Then we asked him to get us into the party upstairs, but he just said, "Yeah. No."

We lost 10 -1 and I got the only goal, but never touched the puck.

I was a forward,  deep in their end,  they got the puck and everyone started to skate out.

One man in.  I rushed the guy as hard as I could.  He spun to throw it around the boards, behind the net. 

And flung it right into his own goal.

I was the closest guy, so I got the credit.

• Haha 1

Bye, bye, Predies.

What a great series.

I am almost sad to see it end.

Now, I face a conundrum.

Dallas versus St. Louis.

I want both teams to win.

:sigh:

As long as San Jose is playing golf after this week, I'll be happy either way.

16 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

The first game, we had almost two lines.  Some guys had numbers drawn on their backs with magic-markers.  We thought we were pretty good.

The other team skated out with three full lines,  all their equipment matched,  and they had two goalies.

Uh-oh.

Been there, played in those games.

I was a left defenseman.

This was back in the days when there were more than two right-handed players per team like there is today.

Where did all of those silly-eiders come from?

My signature move was to fall down in front of the rushing forward and make him go around me.

The very first pee-wee game I played in,  the kid kid got a breakaway!!!!.................

So I threw my stick at him.

You can't do that.

Coach never fully explained that one to us.

Playing in the street,  we did that all day, every day.

Then we learned aboot the "penalty shot".

We didn't know that part, either.

I played backup-backup goalie.

That means,  when the goalie doesn't show up (blizzard) and the backup doesn't show up,  then it's on.

You get to wear "rink" equipment.  Which is smelly and moldy and in no way fits you.

But, I'm "In the zone!"

Once, they were warming me up, and the buzzer went off, game on!.

The guy on my team took one more tame slapper.

Hit me in the shoulder,  right over the armpit,  right where there is a 1" space with no padding.

My glove-hand-arm went numb and dead.

Then the horn went, "HOOOOONNKK!"   Game on!

But my arm was dead.  So I couldn't wave to anybody to say my arm was dead.  No one would have cared anyway.

I'm not a good goalie.