Shooting timer.....I'm thinking about getting one

ARP

Thinking about getting one as a change up to just going to the range and shooting targets. I have not seen any FUDD rules at the range I use banning them, just says no rapid fire or full auto. I think what they are alluding to is mag dumps, not controlled pairs. 

I try to go when I know I will be there alone so I don't have to interrupt what I am doing or be distracted by having other shooters. I seem to waste a lot of time when others are present and breaks the schedule I have planned for myself.

I'm in the educational phase of the idea, there does not seem a wide selection of makes and models, I see which ones seem to be most popular, I have a good idea which one I'll buy. Also seeing how they can be used for dry firing with them while I am at home, just need to be sure to not get caught up in the minutia of stats vs using the device to improve mechanics and become smoother with draw, presentation, shot.

Mainly using youtube vids as my source of education.

I have some further questions.....I will probably buy from Brownells, because they lifetime warranty everything and I am reading some of these electronic gizmos can be fragile or faulty. So I am thinking how do I use these away from a range, say dry firing in my house at spots of tape on my wall? They work on sound, would you have to use say a whistle to trip the timer?  I guess in general how do or do any of you shooters use them away from the range.

My thoughts for getting one was from watching the video from T Rex Arms, he uses the timer to get a better idea of how quick he can draw or put the sight on target and shoot an accurate shot.  He is incredibly quick with the draw point shoot, but his point to continually stress safety while drawing and being smooth in presentation and consistent while doing it. I am not going to use the timer as a preparation for competition, just sharpen skills.

Using a time is very humbling. It will improve your shooting and consistency. I use this one. Nothing fancy, but it’s affordabke and reliable.  It’s also easy to use, with minimal learning curve.

Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II Timer Blue CEI-4700 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KMOSAI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MSbNCb1NY1311

Edited by Collim1

We use a CED7000 at the range. I have never used one for dry fire.        https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015065989/ced-7000-shot-timer

I look at it as a $120.00 tool to help me improve my skills, if it dies I'll buy another one. Think about how much money people waste yearly on coffee, cigarettes, pop/soda and many other useless things. If it helps you improve your skills better it is money well spent.

I also bought a Metronome a few years ago to teach myself shot cadence (consistent splits) that was a very good thing to buy for that purpose, a musician friend suggested it. I bought one that can plug into my ear pro so I can see and or hear it.

I use either a Pocket Pro or PACT timer in competition pretty much every weekend. They’re both great timers though I slightly prefer the PACT. Both are very durable. I’ve rarely seen one break, though leaving a PACT in direct sunlight on a very hot day can cause screen malfunctioning which will go away when it cools down.

Neither is likely to work for dry firing BUT there is a free Iphone app that is sensitive enough to pick up hammer falls when dry firing.