Polar Vortex is about to drop

TBO

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

I spent many a night at -10 or colder, ice skating for hours.  I would bang up my knees and elbows, they would swell up like baseballs, freeze my fingers and toes till you couldn't feel them and they seemed like dead blocks of wood.  

Go home and thaw out.  The worst part of freezing appendages is the thawing out.  Really painful as the  appendages find out all about warm blood again.

Then, the next night grab the ice skates and run the 8 blocks to the small lake in town that the city maintained for skating.  Freeze thaw cycles were common place for the young.

On the rare day that school would be cancelled (below -15) and the car wouldn't start in the morning, in the evening back to the lake ice skating again.  But it's too cold to go to school...…………  Great times!!! 

Damn! Coldest place I lived for any time was Utah and I hated when it hit single digits. 

• Like 1

We had a plant in Cloquet, MN. I called the plant manager one day in the middle of a blizzard they were having, cold and windy.  He said there was close to a 200 degree temperature differential on either side of the office door; 80 inside and close to -100 outside with the wind chill.

I only visited him in the Summer.

• Like 1

How fun was my weekend? My band gigged Saturday night. I got home about 1:30. Was still chilled from hauling gear in below freezing temps, sleet and wind. House seemed cold. I went to bed and just shivered until finally getting up about 4 hours later to find the thermostat had quit. House was 55. I couldn't walk on hard floors without socks and slippers. 

Reading the fine print on the thermostat (programmable) and noticed a tiny little readout saying replace batteries. HUH? I didn't know there were any. So I figured out how to get the main unit off the wall bracket and sure enough two AA batteries. I replaced them, the display lit back up, popped it back on the wall mount and Poof on goes the heat. It ran non-stop until late Sunday night when it finally stabilized. Everything in the house was cold. Grab a plate to make some breakfast and it is freezing. 

I feel better today. LOL

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TBO said:

Touched base with a friend up north, when they got up this morning, wind chill of -70 F.

I guess that makes them my coolest friend of the new year.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

That's crazy cold.  Been close to that in Iowa years ago.  Things can get deadly rather quickly in those conditions.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 10:58 PM, janice6 said:

I spent many a night at -10 or colder, ice skating for hours.  I would bang up my knees and elbows, they would swell up like baseballs, freeze my fingers and toes till you couldn't feel them and they seemed like dead blocks of wood.  

Go home and thaw out.  The worst part of freezing appendages is the thawing out.  Really painful as the  appendages find out all about warm blood again.

I distinctly remember the first time I almost really froze my feet off. 

We were playing hockey a few hills over.  Because it was a spring-fed pond,  the one end was thin ice.  Right where a spring fed in was a hole about big enough for a puck to go in.  So the puck went in.  One guy went over and used his stick to chip ice (of course we only had one puck. hockey players are smart like that) and was trying to scoop the puck to the edge with his stick.  Of course,  the next guy thought he could do better.  And the next guy.  And the next.

So,  all of us were at the thin end when we all broke through.  Up to our waists.  Teeny-tiny 'gnads!  But we got the puck!  Game on!

Of course, we kept playing until sundown.  As long as we were skating, it wasn't even cold.  Walking back for an hour through the woods after dark in snow was a different story.

I was crying by the time I got home.  My feet were swollen and a very dark purple and agonizingly painful.  Even cool water burned like lava.  It took an hour for them to turn bright red.  And hurt even more.  By the time I went to bed,  I could put them in warm water and the swelling was going down.  They had a dull white color and felt numb for the next several days.

I don't think we ever skated on that pond again.

• Like 1

From my story of winter camping, I don't know if I got frost bite as the skin did not turn black and fall off, but for weeks after that the joints of my feet hurt to walk or stand on them, like the cartlidge was frozen and damaged. I think I have nerve damage on my fingers from cold, they get cold real easy and get numb when it's cold out.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ARP said:

I think I have nerve damage on my fingers from cold, they get cold real easy and get numb when it's cold out.

I didn't even know it had a name until a while ago, but yes,  my fingers and toes have severe Raynaud's Disease, ever since I was young.

Probably from winter-pond-swimming and riding motorcycles throughout northeast winters (hey, they're all i had for several years).

It doesn't even have to get very cold.  Low 50's and 40's will make segments of my fingers a creepy dead white.  It doesn't hurt at all, but they feel numb and don't really work right.  It doesn't seem to happen when it's cold-cold.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ARP said:

From my story of winter camping, I don't know if I got frost bite as the skin did not turn black and fall off, but for weeks after that the joints of my feet hurt to walk or stand on them, like the cartlidge was frozen and damaged. I think I have nerve damage on my fingers from cold, they get cold real easy and get numb when it's cold out.

It is claimed that a bad case of frost bite, or repeated frost bites, will cause you to be more sensitive to the cold in the affected appendage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bish1309 said:

When you have a small dog, they have difficulties with this type of weather. I have to shovel the yard to give her a bathroom. This picture was last Saturday before we received the newest 6" additional Sunday night.

20190127_115023.jpg

I have a Yorkie and my patio is covered.  I clean it every snow and he has the Owner's blessing to do his business anywhere he chooses outside.  I'm so happy to have him that I don't mind cleaning the slab after he's done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2