Polar Vortex is about to drop

TBO

3 hours ago, TBO said:

Polar vortex plunge to bring 'brutally cold' air to Midwest with 'life threatening wind chills'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/polar-vortex-plunge-to-bring-brutally-cold-air-to-midwest-with-life-threatening-wind-chills

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Yep.  We in Minnesota call this phenomenon Winter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

In 1976 in Korea we had a artic blast come thru. Cold does not describe what it was!

Had to change engine oil to 10 weight and start vehicles every 1/2 hour. Vehicle tires froze to the ground and the retreads peeled off when people tried to move them. Lasted about 12 to 14 days.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, TBO said:

Polar vortex plunge to bring 'brutally cold' air to Midwest with 'life threatening wind chills'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/polar-vortex-plunge-to-bring-brutally-cold-air-to-midwest-with-life-threatening-wind-chills

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Waving to y'all northerners in shorts and flip flops.  ?

37 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

In 1976 in Korea we had a artic blast come thru. Cold does not describe what it was!

Had to change engine oil to 10 weight and start vehicles every 1/2 hour. Vehicle tires froze to the ground and the retreads peeled off when people tried to move them. Lasted about 12 to 14 days.

My only visits to Korea have been in the winter, and it was friggin cold.

• Like 4

My sister that works in Kazakhstan, it routinely gets that cold and stays that way for weeks. Was -35*F one day with -60*F wind chill, she took her glove off to see what it felt like. She could feel her fingers freezing up in seconds.

When I am home I go out to breakfast in the morning. There is a guy that comes in, I have never seen him wear anything except shorts and a t-shirt socks and work boots. No coat, no hat. I don't ask... W PA.

Edited by ARP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ARP said:

Was -35*F one day with -60*F wind chill, she took her glove off to see what it felt like. She could feel her fingers freezing up in seconds.

I was once working (outside, up in the air) and had one of our engineers on the phone. He was in the control room.   I had my phone stuffed in my mask and it was hard to hear and he couldn't hear me.  He asked why and I told him.  He told me to hold my phone properly.  I told him to come hold it up his.....

He'd tell me numbers to punch in and hit enter.  "What's it say?"  "I don't know."  "What's it say?"  "I don't know."  "What's it say?"  "I don't know."

"Why don't you know?" 

"Because my hands are still in my pockets." 

"You're wasting my time."

"Eat me."

"I can't hear you."

"Yes you can, lardass.  You come show me how.

"I can't.  I have a medical exemption."

"Yeah.  Your butt is lard."

Some people at work don't like me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump
FollowFollow @realDonaldTrump
More

Be careful and try staying in your house. Large parts of the Country are suffering from tremendous amounts of snow and near record setting cold. Amazing how big this system is. Wouldn’t be bad to have a little of that good old fashioned Global Warming right now!

4:59 AM - 20 Jan 2019
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just got back from Red Lake.

Fishing out of an Ice Castle. Cold fronts never produce good fishing, so it was slow.  Three guys, kept 5 Walleyes. Not good at all for a walleye factory like Red.

Woke up this morning to -32 with 10 MPH winds. Don't know what that was calculated as wind chill, but it was cold. Truck wouldn't start, pulled the battery and warmed it in in the Castle for a few beers time and she fired up, but it was not happy.  

Taking the Castle down and packing up was a pain in the ass for these old bones.  Back in the day, wouldn't have thought to much about, now that I am old, it sucked.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Just think, if it wasn't for global warming, we'd really be screwed. I think we all need to deflate our tires. drive bigger cars, and go back to incandescent light bulbs and Freon in our refrigeration units. 

...and cut those catalytic converters off out exhaust systems. 

• Like 2

I spent many a night at -10 or colder, ice skating for hours.  I would bang up my knees and elbows, they would swell up like baseballs, freeze my fingers and toes till you couldn't feel them and they seemed like dead blocks of wood.  

Go home and thaw out.  The worst part of freezing appendages is the thawing out.  Really painful as the  appendages find out all about warm blood again.

Then, the next night grab the ice skates and run the 8 blocks to the small lake in town that the city maintained for skating.  Freeze thaw cycles were common place for the young.

On the rare day that school would be cancelled (below -15) and the car wouldn't start in the morning, in the evening back to the lake ice skating again.  But it's too cold to go to school...…………  Great times!!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I spent many a night at -10 or colder, ice skating for hours.  I would bang up my knees and elbows, they would swell up like baseballs, freeze my fingers and toes till you couldn't feel them and they seemed like dead blocks of wood.  

Go home and thaw out.  The worst part of freezing appendages is the thawing out.  Really painful as the  appendages find out all about warm blood again.

Then, the next night grab the ice skates and run the 8 blocks to the small lake in town that the city maintained for skating.  Freeze thaw cycles were common place for the young.

On the rare day that school would be cancelled (below -15) and the car wouldn't start in the morning, in the evening back to the lake ice skating again.  But it's too cold to go to school...…………  Great times!!! 

The rule is -25 air temp or -35 wind chill (real feel).

And I remember when school would get cancelled and we'd spend the day outside sledding. 

• Thanks 1