Foldable phones are real

TBO

Picture this; it's 1981 and you are awed by the scene in the movie Bladerunner where he uses a video payphone.   Okay, you're never awed, but the future looks very different from what people would have predicted just a few decades ago.  So, I ask, "Where are the flying cars?"  I can have a frickin' Dick Tracey wrist radio if I want one, but where's my flying car?

Edited by minervadoe
brainfart

8 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

I can have a frickin' Dick Tracey wrist radio if I want one, but where's my flying car?

I want the flying garbage cans!

My brother had a phone around then (understudy on a high-dollar play).  The handset was bigger than a lunchbox and was carried in a case with all the cables.  The batteries were in another suitcase that weigh a ton.

It was the coolest thing anyone had ever seen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

I want the flying garbage cans!

My brother had a phone around then (understudy on a high-dollar play).  The handset was bigger than a lunchbox and was carried in a case with all the cables.  The batteries were in another suitcase that weigh a ton.

It was the coolest thing anyone had ever seen.

A friend did tech support during that era and he was on call a lot.  He had a modem that he would literally stick a standard sized phone of that era into (receiver in one hole and mouthpiece in the other).  Real leading edge stuff.  In the middle of a party, he'd get a fancy text message on his pager, set up the modem, dial in and fix the problem and then it was, "Party on Garth." 

Instead, we've got robot brothels and Facebook. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

A friend did tech support during that era and he was on call a lot.  He had a modem that he would literally stick a standard sized phone of that era into (receiver in one hole and mouthpiece in the other).  Real leading edge stuff.  In the middle of a party, he'd get a fancy text message on his pager, set up the modem, dial in and fix the problem and then it was, "Party on Garth." 

Instead, we've got robot brothels and Facebook. 

All of 300 baud.  If someone showed me a picture of that, I’d have nightmares for a week.  Had to do my homework on it.  

Hawk

So Apple has a filed patents a couple of times in the past, and a more recent one for a foldable phone.

How long until they try to sue everyone else out of existance claiming patent infringement because other people came out with folding phones of roughly the same size as Apple's?