An absolute warrior: Duluth MN police K-9 Haas honored for ‘ultimate sacrifice’

TBO

The 3-year-old Belgian Malinois, who joined officer Haller's family two years ago, had a seemingly unlimited level of drive and enthusiasm for the job, his.

"He was an absolute warrior of a dog who died a hero's death, giving his life so that his partners had a significantly better chance of making it out of there alive. "I'll forever be grateful to him for that and never forget the second chance he gave my partners and me."

K-9 Haas

K-9 Haas

Haas was shot by a suspect in a felony domestic assault incident as officers attempted to make an arrest following an hour-plus standoff on Jan. 13. Haller also was struck by gunfire, though his injuries were minor thanks to a protective vest.

"When the investigation closes and more details are released, I think it'll be pretty obvious to everyone that had Haas not done what he did that night, we'd likely be at a human police officer's funeral, or multiple human police officers' funerals," Haller said. "I sent my partner into what ended up being his death. And he did it enthusiastically and without hesitation."

RIP K-9 Haas.  You're a tribute to your lineage.  Condolences to your human and your pedigree families.  

You're better than most humans.