Own My Own Home/Taxes Are Paid-Confused

Moshe

A few months ago some spray paint and little flags appeared in my front yard, but they were much closer to the road.  I hadn't requested any change in utilities, but a few days later when I was at my roadside mailbox, my across-the-street neighbor told me she was going to start getting county water and they had to run their water line.  The main water line runs down my side of the street, and the flags marked points at which the workers could tap into the line.  Fortunately they tapped into it near the corner of my property so my front yard wasn't affected.  They left the ground smooth and covered with some kind of hay or mulch.  Not sure if they replanted any grass.  

I can't imagine why they'd mark so far into your yard, though.  I hope you solve the mystery and they don't do too much damage.

• Thanks 1

MY city decided to add another lane to each side of a major through street and add a median.  So they took up to 35 feet of the front yards from all the houses along the right of way.  They did a great job of replacing driveways, aprons and fences, and even put in retaining walls for some, but the fact remains that some of the houses had their front yards reduced to around 25 feet of depth.  Sidewalks also went in and assessments followed for them.  To take advantage of the torn up street, the city increased and replaced the sewer lines in addition to moving all utilities to the new right of way.  Progress respects no man.

Edited by janice6

13 hours ago, pipedreams said:

As I said earlier there is a big push to bring broadband to rural America.  Expanding rural access to broadband has long been a challenge in the U.S., since internet providers worry they’ll never recoup the investment they make in building those networks. Roughly 34 million Americans lack a broadband connection and the vast majority – 23.4 million – live in rural areas.  Many of the old copper lines can't handle all the broadband services provided to city dwellers.

Their hoping access to broadband will help rural communities improve their quality of life in different sectors, like health care, education and agriculture. For example, farmers can sell more goods online, and patients in distant areas can receive care remotely.

There is only one game in town, and they intend to keep it that way.  The only franchises around here are fast food, and on the populous it definitely shows.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

MY city decided to add another lane to each side of a major through street and add a median.  So they took up to 35 feet of the front yards from all the houses along the right of way.  They did a great job of replacing driveways, aprons and fences, and even put in retaining walls for some, but the fact remains that some of the houses had their front yards reduced to around 25 feet of depth.  Sidewalks also went in and assessments followed for them.  To take advantage of the torn up street, the city increased and replaced the sewer lines in addition to moving all utilities to the new right of way.  Progress respects no man.

I am not necessarily opposed to eminent domain, as long their is payment involved, and a reduction in taxes based on land usage.  However, this is rural.  The blacktop is minimal, there are no sidewalks out here.  There is the occasional person that lets their dogs wander freely like they were oversized cats.  I keep my dogs secured with a fence, as the busy FM have taken as many dogs as it has deer.  People that drive through the FM, don't have respect for the sides of the roads, throwing trash out of their vehicles and if a dog is loose, they try and take it out for entertainment.  Some of the people around here aren't that intelligent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n2g said:

A few months ago some spray paint and little flags appeared in my front yard, but they were much closer to the road.  I hadn't requested any change in utilities, but a few days later when I was at my roadside mailbox, my across-the-street neighbor told me she was going to start getting county water and they had to run their water line.  The main water line runs down my side of the street, and the flags marked points at which the workers could tap into the line.  Fortunately they tapped into it near the corner of my property so my front yard wasn't affected.  They left the ground smooth and covered with some kind of hay or mulch.  Not sure if they replanted any grass.  

I can't imagine why they'd mark so far into your yard, though.  I hope you solve the mystery and they don't do too much damage.

There already is a water line that people can tap into.  I use a well, as half the time, we are told to boil the water that is available to pipe into. 

20 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Nobody really owns their own land; they are simply renting the privilege from the government...  Don't think so?  Try not paying taxes on it or damming a creek.

I haven't paid taxes on my property for two years, and have no intention of doing so as long as I live there.  And there is nothing the government can do about it.  Read the Texas Tax Code.

Also, utilities are often marked some distance from where the actual work is being done.

Working in property maintenance, I’ve had to deal with too many of those damn things.

Probably nothing to get excited about unless they start ripping things up where they’re not authorized.

18 hours ago, UHLAWPUP said:

I haven't paid taxes on my property for two years, and have no intention of doing so as long as I live there.  And there is nothing the government can do about it.  Read the Texas Tax Code.

Yeah, here is the thing.  You can do that until you decide to sell your house/move.  Then you get hit with a title wave of tax.  I just pay my taxes knowing I owe the State nothing, and I have no mortgage with a bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

Yeah, here is the thing.  You can do that until you decide to sell your house/move.  Then you get hit with a title wave of tax.  I just pay my taxes knowing I owe the State nothing, and I have no mortgage with a bank.

I have no intention of moving.  But here’s the trick.  I take the money due for taxes each year and put it into a special savings account. That way, if I sell, I can choose to pay up or just let them take it out of the proceeds and keep the savings.  The big plus is that if I’m in my 90’s and the air conditioner goes out, I can “borrow from myself” to replace it.  It’s a win-win for me.  And, since I have no offspring (that I know of), I really don’t care what happens to the place when I’m gone.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I’m very grateful for the law that allows me this measure of security.

4 minutes ago, UHLAWPUP said:

I have no intention of moving.  But here’s the trick.  I take the money due for taxes each year and put it into a special savings account. That way, if I sell, I can choose to pay up or just let them take it out of the proceeds and keep the savings.  The big plus is that if I’m in my 90’s and the air conditioner goes out, I can “borrow from myself” to replace it.  It’s a win-win for me.  And, since I have no offspring (that I know of), I really don’t care what happens to the place when I’m gone.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I’m very grateful for the law that allows me this measure of security.

I find in life I make temporary plans, and find out life has a different course.  I am not exactly the luckiest man in the world, so I do my best not to tempt fate.  Because, sometimes, fate is a bitch.  In my case, often.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, Moshe said:

I find in life I make temporary plans, and find out life has a different course.  I am not exactly the luckiest man in the world, so I do my best not to tempt fate.  Because, sometimes, fate is a bitch.  In my case, often.

I will pray that your fortunes improve.