Own My Own Home/Taxes Are Paid-Confused

Moshe

Okay, so I went on my great adventure of paying my property tax for the year.  I own my home and property outright.  My utilities are electric from the power lines.  I have multiple septic tanks and a well.  Now, I find a chunk of my front yard with orange paint and flags.  No one can answer why this is.  I asked the Tax Assessor's Office.  They had no idea.  I asked the Tax Office, they didn't know.  I asked Emergency Management, they didn't know.  I went through the County Commissioner's public record-nothing.  So, now I am at a loss as to whom thinks they are going come onto my property and apparently dig?  They might not like who greets them, especially if they have taken it upon themselves to do so.  It seems with few exceptions every home down my dead end has had the same done to them, with the audacity of spraying orange paint on their driveways.

Edited by Moshe

2 hours ago, Moshe said:

Okay, so I went on my great adventure of paying my property tax for the year.  I own my home and property outright.  My utilities are electric from the power lines.  I have multiple septic tanks and a well.  Now, I find a chunk of my front yard with orange paint and flags.  No one can answer why this is.  I asked the Tax Assessor's Office.  They had no idea.  I asked the Tax Office, they didn't know.  I asked Emergency Management, they didn't know.  I went through the County Commissioner's public record-nothing.  So, now I am at a loss as to whom thinks they are going come onto my property and apparently dig?  They might not like who greets them, especially if they have taken it upon themselves to do so.  It seems with few exceptions every home down my dead end has had the same done to them, with the audacity of spraying orange paint on their driveways.

Depending on your take on life ………………………… orange paint might be better than hot pink.  Then again, maybe not. ///  Did you try the phone company? 

21 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Not last I checked.  I have owned the property for 10 years.

That's awhile. Go back and check your survey. It would actually be unusual for there not to be a utility easement of some sort when the parcel was partitioned off. Just because you aren't getting any services there other than electric doesn't mean that some future owner might not want it (and no, unfortunately, you won't live forever so someone else will eventually own it. ?)

Edited by Geko45
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Geko45 said:

That's awhile. Go back and check your survey. It would actually be unusual for there not to be a utility easement of some sort when the parcel was partitioned off. Just because you aren't getting any services there other than electric doesn't mean that some future owner might not want it (and no, unfortunately, you won't live forever so someone else will eventually own it. ?)

Usually the county or city own or have rights so many feet in from road surface.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Usually the county or city own or have rights so many feet in.

Exactly, Right of Way has been around forever. If everyone had absolute property rights to every square inch of land they owned then there would be no public utilities at all as most parcels would be unable to be reached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Usually the county or city own or have rights so many feet in from road surface.

In this case, a solid 10 yards?  Then they seemed rather selective, messing up one side but not completely another.

10 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Rural.

Then they are probably correct. But you aren't completely without rights, if they tear up your driveway they will need to provide some sort of temporary access while they work and then rebuild what you had after their done. perhaps even better than before.

• Like 2

Just now, gwalchmai said:

It means they found oil. The drills will be there in a week or so.

If that was the case, as long as I got the same dividends as Alaskans, I say put a pipeline through, and lower the price of oil even more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Geko45 said:

Then they are probably correct. But you aren't completely without rights, if they tear up your driveway they will need to provide some sort of temporary access while they work and then rebuild what you had after their done. perhaps even better than before.

If it is fiber cable for communications they will most likely put it underground and will only dig where they have to make connections, usually a rather small hole.  When they did mine they used a horizontal directional boring machine which is pretty standard for electrical and communication cable.  They pull a bright orange protective tubing through the hole and then the actual cable is inside that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

If it is fiber cable for communications they will most likely put it underground and will only dig where they have to make connections, usually a rather small hole.  When they did mine they used a horizontal directional boring machine which is pretty standard for electrical and communication cable.  They pull a bright orange protective tubing through the hole and then the actual cable is inside that.

I already have cable internet.  I called the telephone co-op and was transferred to an "I don't care" voice mail.  So, that JELLO  I have not yet nailed to the wall.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I already have cable internet.  I called the telephone co-op and was transferred to an "I don't care" voice mail.  So, that JELLO  I have not yet nailed to the wall.

As I said earlier there is a big push to bring broadband to rural America.  Expanding rural access to broadband has long been a challenge in the U.S., since internet providers worry they’ll never recoup the investment they make in building those networks. Roughly 34 million Americans lack a broadband connection and the vast majority – 23.4 million – live in rural areas.  Many of the old copper lines can't handle all the broadband services provided to city dwellers.

Their hoping access to broadband will help rural communities improve their quality of life in different sectors, like health care, education and agriculture. For example, farmers can sell more goods online, and patients in distant areas can receive care remotely.

• Like 1

Gophers can use survey equipment, and they like orange flags.  Most people don't know this but it's true.

I got fired from my last job as a greens keeper on a local golf course because a gopher made me blow it up.  

I once Caddied for the Dalai Lama though, so I got that going for me.

-Carl

• Like 4
  • Haha 1