Shoe Goo questions

gwalchmai

My wife and I have a difference of opinion. She thinks (?) that if you wear through the first SG repair of a pair of sneakers they are ready to be discarded. I believe that as long as the uppers do what they're designed to do you can rebuild the soles with SG indefinitely.

Do y'all agree with me or with the spendthrift?

Also, is Shoe Goo the same as E6000? They're made by the same company. http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000/

Did the tube (toob?) Of Shoe Goo cost more than the shoes cost new?

I remember buying new school shoes out of a bin at the grocery store cash register as a wee lad... by June they were usually held together by a half roll of Arkansas chrome.

I'm wearing a pair of Justin workbooks right this minute that have the soles held on via Shoe Goo. Good stuff.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ARP said:

What are you gluing in place for soles? That is, shoe goo is for bonding agent for something piece A to piece B.

If you layer it properly it can become a substrate unto itself.

Of course if one is truly resourceful alternating layers of Shoe Goo and duct tape can be used to create something really special.

• Like 1

And now for a slightly different Shoe Goo story.

A friend of mine was on a motorcycle trip with a group. Most of the riders were also pulling trailers behind their bikes. One of them had a tire throw a large piece of tread. This trailer used a proprietary wheel/tire that is not readily available.

The tire was still holding air, so, Shoe Goo to the rescue. They filled in the void and let it set up overnight. I really don't think I would have treated it but 800 miles later they arrived back home and the 'temporary' repair had held.

Pretty amazing stuff, but I still would have had replacement tire shipped to me.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, DrB said:

Ok.. Let's hear your stories about Flex-Seal..  Another miracle in a can/tube.....

Flex seal, my roof was leaking where water would run down the side of the chimney and on to my basement floor. Turns out some of the mortar cracked and the flashing had lifted away from the brick allowing the water to leak in. So I flex sealed the crap out of the cracks in the mortar and then the flashing and the leaks have stopped.

Also sprayed the crap out out of a spot on my roof that was leaking, leak stopped.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

If you layer it properly it can become a substrate unto itself.

Of course if one is truly resourceful alternating layers of Shoe Goo and duct tape can be used to create something really special.

I have never used Shoe Goo to fix a pair of shoes, but I did use it yesterday to fix a plastic mount for an old back up GPS that I have. It was sort of the ball that had a mount snap into a socket and held the GPS. I filled the socket that a piece of plastic had broken off of and inserted the ball and let it set up, works for it's intended purpose.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DrB said:

Good Thread...   Hahaaa... I was looking for Shoe Goo the other day but all they had was Goop.  Gonna give that a try. We shale if it works...

Dave..

I always have a fresh tube of Goop in the drawer.  I am a fan of all kinds of adhesive and epoxies, but Goop is my choice for an all purpose adhesive.  It does have filler properties due to it's "body".

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ARP said:

Flex seal, my roof was leaking where water would run down the side of the chimney and on to my basement floor. Turns out some of the mortar cracked and the flashing had lifted away from the brick allowing the water to leak in. So I flex sealed the crap out of the cracks in the mortar and then the flashing and the leaks have stopped.

Also sprayed the crap out out of a spot on my roof that was leaking, leak stopped.

Same problem here, only the water ran down into the living room.  Chimney is about 8 foot wide, down through the center of the house.  I used the clear flex seal spray and put several layers at the junction of chimney and the roof. I just left the ladder up there and every other day I would go up and spray another layer till I was satisfied.  Been almost a year and not problem yet.

• Like 2

Ok.. Saw some Shoe Goo at the store.  Because of this place I bought a tube to try on a pair of shoes. Peer Pressure here is a powerful thing?..........  The smell took me back in time to model airplanes and Testers Model cement bought at Ben Franklin's..........

Dave

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DrB said:

The smell took me back in time to model airplanes and Testers Model cement bought at Ben Franklin's..........

When we built the balsa wood airplanes, we'd get cans of dope to coat the tissue paper.

I'm pretty sure that's where the term originated.  Hoo-eee!!

I'm willing to bet that it doesn't do that anymore.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

For casual shoes/boots....I say keep repairing until the footwear is no longer functional or falls below your standards for appearance.(assuming you do not do much strenuous activity in them)

For performance footwear. (Athletic/duty/adventure...). There is a very real lifespan to the performance capabilities of the footwear.  If you really want the footwear to perform as designed, you need to replace them a lot more often than one would think nessesary.   We usually do not notice the degradation of performance because it is so slow....but putting on a new shoe of similar design will usually point this out.

This can be somewhat critical if you are trying to mitigate any impact on joins.  

• Like 3

I have weird feet and my favorite shoes these past few years are a type of Sketchers that are generally $70 and pair and last less than a year. So if I can fix them with hot glue, hi-temp silicone or whatever, and they still look good, I will fix them.

I recently found a slip-on pair of sneakers from Sam's club  for $32 and they fit and feel great.  But they are much lighter weight and I worry about them lasting.

1 hour ago, Rabbi said:

For casual shoes/boots....I say keep repairing until the footwear is no longer functional or falls below your standards for appearance.(assuming you do not do much strenuous activity in them)

LOL. I'm retired. I have no standards for appearance. :kiltsmilie:

For performance footwear. (Athletic/duty/adventure...). There is a very real lifespan to the performance capabilities of the footwear.  If you really want the footwear to perform as designed, you need to replace them a lot more often than one would think nessesary.   We usually do not notice the degradation of performance because it is so slow....but putting on a new shoe of similar design will usually point this out.

Yes, this is true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1