CBGB's in the 70's What You Got?

DrB

2 minutes ago, Moeman said:

On the other coast we had Wiskey a Go Go.... 

We had the Agora here on the North Coast, Cleveland and WMMS radio back in the day...  I'll post some of that sometime.  Just was curious if any of you followed what was happening atCBGB's back then.  Never was there, I missed it.

Dave..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrB said:

We had the Agora here on the North Coast, Cleveland and WMMS radio back in the day...  I'll post some of that sometime.  Just was curious if any of you followed what was happening atCBGB's back then.  Never was there, I missed it.

Dave..

Allen Freed king of the moondogers? Cleveveland rocks? 

Edited by Moeman

I never got there; too busy with grad school and working.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1786751

Alan Rickman was good as Hilly Kristal running his failing Bowery club.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2kP0vKyCJ7P_brea8m79

"CBGB follows the story of Hilly Kristal's New York club from its concept as a venue for Country, Bluegrass and Blues (CBGB) to what it ultimately became: the birthplace of underground rock 'n roll and punk. When Kristal had difficulty booking country bands in his club on the Bowery he opened his doors to other kinds of rock music. Kristal had one demand of the acts he booked; they could only play original music.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, johnbt said:

When Kristal had difficulty booking country bands in his club on the Bowery he opened his doors to other kinds of rock music. Kristal had one demand of the acts he booked; they could only play original music.

Yes that's what this thread is about.  Some good talent came from there........:599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup: If you have any early videos from CBGB's put them up.

Dave..

9 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Isn’t that the Runaways

Yep... Loved them till they kinda self destructed with their tour in Japan. Joan Jett  the survivor of the pack and she is in the Rock Hall of Fame. Lita Ford I followed also. 

In my youth I worked a lot of small gigs and a few large.  Sad I get older...... but I still love those sets I worked on.  At the end of the night "Strike" was the word... Show done..  Yep the groupies trying to get around and up to the performers was an experience.

Dave..

Edited by DrB

Ok I'll keep it Going The Ramones 1977  

Their first gig at the club started off with a fight amongst the band because they couldn’t start the first song in time, they dropped their instruments went backstage had their dust up.

when they came out De De counted them off and that’s how they did all their songs after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

the smell of that place never goes away,it overtook the street out front when the doors were opened.

but i digress,here`s the Dead boys.

Same with the original Agora club in Cleveland.  The smell and your feet stuck to the floor by the bar.  God only knows what was growing down there.

Dave..

• Like 1

Same with the original Agora club in Cleveland.  The smell and your feet stuck to the floor by the bar.  God only knows what was growing down there.
Dave..

The only time I was in there was WMMS 10th anniversary show, B Springsteen and E st band. The floor could have been covered in glass and still would have walked in[emoji16]

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PeterG7 said:

The only time I was in there was WMMS 10th anniversary show, B Springsteen and E st band. The floor could have been covered in glass and still would have walked inemoji16.png

WMMS and the Agora broke a lot of bands into the light back then..  Good times...

Dave