Stranger in Jeep shoots at fleeing car during traffic stop

fiveoboy01

Not sure how I feel about these types of things.  

In this situation, he was shooting at a car that was moving away and clearly not a threat. 

On the other hand, had the perp died, I wouldn't cry.  

I'm all for helping police but sometimes I wonder if they always want help in some situations.. Cop could have shot the guy...

https://fox8.com/2019/01/17/i-team-exclusive-video-bystander-fires-shots-at-traffic-stop/?fbclid=IwAR3AC8tMfFAB5iBOo8FoDVVzHDoa4EE6ZhcPPFd2OiEtEQMO8JYLnf05a50

Circumstances matter.  I was plain clothes and helped an APD subdue a fleeing criminal.  We got the guy handcuffed, exchanged LEO/FLEO information.  He thanked me.  He took his BG, I got into my car and went to work.  I Laredo, we backed up the PD and SO, when they had a stop, because there were more of us than them.  I was rolling back from the hood with a trainee (that is what they were called then-not interns), and a short little band new PD guy was wresting with a sow woman twice his size.  We stopped, put on our lights, and I stood with my arms crossed on the front of my vehicle with a look of hate.  The sow woman looked up as if to say, "Oh ****!" and allowed the little man to cuff her and stuff her.  If I see an Officer in distress, I am going to let him know I have a badge and intervene.  I have always done so, and always well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, windowasher said:

Shooting at anyone fleeing means you or others are not in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury

Depends entirely on the circumstances.  I could very easy articulate reasonable fear.  More easily so if they are in a vehicle.

The last 30 seconds or so of this clip provide a similar example.

A guy that works at the gun shop with me used to live in Florida. He's one of our permit instructors. He told me about 2 LEO buddies of his down there years ago that were chasing after an armed perp. He said as impossible as it sounds, this guy just threw his pistol up by his left ear and fired twice without even looking, and caught one officer in the head and the other in the neck, killing them both.

So running away from you might still be a threat, even though the odds are astronomical.

14 hours ago, windowasher said:

Shooting at anyone fleeing means you or others are not in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury

That is backwards.  The reason to shoot  at a fleeing BG IS they are an immediate danger to the public to cause death or grave bodily harm.

Random Scenario:  Armed Subject flees from law enforcement yelling, "I'm gonna' kill the first bitch I see!"  Yes, you should shoot him.

• Like 1