Help with Choosing a Semi Auto .308

c10bonanza

I've got the itch for a semi auto .308.  I have an AR-15 (Colt LE6920) and a bolt action 30.06 for hunting (Browning X-Bolt).  I'd like to have a versatile semi-auto .308 to the mix.  My realistic uses are an alternate hunting rifle when I don't want to use my bolt 30.06, a target/fun rifle, and something that can throw .30 cal pills down range accurately and quickly when the zombie hordes arrive.  I've always had a desire for a semi-auto rifle that is more powerful than 5.56 (I have no desire for an AK).  That said, I don't want to drop $2k+ on something.  I have $1400ish set aside right now, which could be supplemented in the coming months.  My main requirements are reliability, accuracy, and retain value (in that order).  Right now I'm looking at the following rifles:

Springfield M1A Scout Squad.  18" barrel, but does not include any National Match parts.  Supposedly reliable, decently accurate out of the box, and mags are cheap.  No clue on resale value.  Older design, and heavy (9lbs +!)  I can pick up either a synthetic stock or walnut stock for $1370 to $1480.  Springfield is running a promo for an additional two mags and a scope mount if purchased in the next couple of months.  Open sights are primary, although scope mount is possible.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/50220

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/50219

Browning BAR MK3 Detachable Box Mag.  18" barrel, unknown accuracy and unknown resale value.  Very light (sub 7lbs!).  Proprietary mags that are $50-$60 each.  Pretty much a slimmed down version of the FN FNAR rifle.  It's hard to find many reviews of these rifles online.  Going price seems to be $1200-$1400.  Available in synthetic or walnut stock.  No integrated sights, so a scope is required.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bar/current-production/bar-mk3-stalker-detachable-magazine.html

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bar/current-production/bar-mk3-DBM-wood.html

Aero Precision M5E1.  Available in 16" or 18" barrel configurations.  Currently sold out online, but it looks like I could piece one together in the $1600-1800 range.  Unknown weight, cheap mags galore, and online reviews seem to show 1.5-2.5 MOA accuracy is expected with quality ammunition.  AR style platform, so available modifications are plentiful. 

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5e1-complete-rifle-18in-ss-rifle-length

So, TBS brain trust, thoughts, opinions, recommendations?  What am I overlooking? 

And yes, spending the money on a better scope for my 30.06, or stacking 10mm ammo deep for my Glock 20, etc. are all acceptable responses.  

Only .308 I owned is a Wilson Combat Super Sniper, and that thing is outstanding, while being on the heavy side. From your list I would go with the Aero, simply because I love their quality and price point. Got a few lowers and the scope mounts are very light, hold zero even after being bumped around, and they are affordable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Only .308 I owned is a Wilson Combat Super Sniper, and that thing is outstanding, while being on the heavy side. From your list I would go with the Aero, simply because I love their quality and price point. Got a few lowers and the scope mounts are very light, hold zero even after being bumped around, and they are affordable.

"Owned"

Why did you get rid of it?  Do you have some other caliber rifle that fits in that .308 semi auto "do all" type rifle category?

5 minutes ago, c10bonanza said:

I'm open to any other suggestions that fit the criteria/use/needs factors.  I'm all ears!

.308 is enough to take down a white tail.  It is a common round.  It has been tested and tried in combat until the advent of the M-16.

4 minutes ago, Moshe said:

.308 is enough to take down a white tail.  It is a common round.  It has been tested and tried in combat until the advent of the M-16.

I think we are talking past each other.  You said "if those are your only three considerations . . . ."  I'm asking if you have any other suggestions in .308 that I should consider.

3 hours ago, c10bonanza said:

Aero Precision M5E1.  Available in 16" or 18" barrel configurations.  Currently sold out online, but it looks like I could piece one together in the $1600-1800 range.  Unknown weight, cheap mags galore, and online reviews seem to show 1.5-2.5 MOA accuracy is expected with quality ammunition.  AR style platform, so available modifications are plentiful. 

I was in a local gun store last week talking to the guys behind the counter.  They had an Aero M5E1 set up in 7mm-08 that they had test fired a can on, they had the price right at $1500 with carbon fiber barrel and light weight stock.  

I just bought an Aero M5 lower, cost was under $100 on sale.  I'll eventually get the M5E1 upper for it, just haven't decided on caliber I'm going to do, any of the cartridges based on 308 have advantages and disadvantages.

I really like the way my Aero M4E1 ended up (300BO pistol), 

Looking around, a complete upper with BCG and charging handle can be had for under $600, 

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/fall-sale/ar-10-complete-upper-recievers-993/m5e1-complete-upper-18-308-cmv-rifle-barrel-15-m-lok-handguard-anodized-black-w-bcg-charging-handle-gamma-762-1545137

a lower parts kit for $75

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-308-lower-parts-kit

Stripped lower for $100

https://www.cheapassammo.com/products/accessories-aero-precision-apar308003c-815421020410-2413

Carbine stock and buffer kit $40

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/fall-sale/ar-10-lower-partsaccessories-993/m5-308-carbine-buffer-kit-no-stock-9933089

Then whatever stock you want, here's a magpul at $30

https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-moe-carbine-stock-mil-spec-black-mag400-blk

Unless I missed something, that's a complete Aero M5E1 rifle, with all the parts that come together as the ones on their website (except different pistol grip and stock, and no magazine), for under $900 (not including taxes, shipping, and transfer fees)

The magpul PRS can be found for under $200, which is the stock that comes with the 18" cmv barrel Aero M5E1, but for your purposes it's not necessary, but keeps the rifle around $1100, which is $500 less than Aero's MSRP.

Edited by Cougar_ml
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, c10bonanza said:

"Owned"

Why did you get rid of it?  Do you have some other caliber rifle that fits in that .308 semi auto "do all" type rifle category?

I didn't, still own it. That was most likely a typo and auto correction turning it into past tense. Not wearing my glasses doesn't help. It's my current "long-range" setup with a nice Kahles scope. All others are .223, but I'll be looking at .338 Lapuas at Shot show in a few days.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Unless I missed something, that's a complete Aero M3E1 rifle, with all the parts that come together as the ones on their website (except different pistol grip and stock, and no magazine), for under $900 (not including taxes, shipping, and transfer fees)

Thanks, Cougar_ml!  Awesome stuff.  

• Like 1

PSA-10 AR10. 

You can put it together for less than 900 and if all you’re doing is shooting at the range the only thing you give up is the flashy brand name. 

Ive shot KAC, LMT, Larue, Noveske, and LWRC. I will put my PSA against any of them for general use rifles any day of the week. Only thing I can’t compete with is pure accuracy. But my rifle was built as a GP rifle and 7.62 class rig. Not a sniper/DM gun. 

• Like 1

FAL?  Or Cetme/HK91 clone?

mags are dirt cheap. Accuracy and reliability better than any factory stock M1A I’ve ever shot.

In fact I don’t care for the M1A at all. I’d choose a FAL or Cetme over an M1A any day of the week.  Especially the Scout Or any of the other 16 inch and 18 inch models.

Or, if I just had to have an American gun, I’d seriously consider a 308 m1 Garand

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, c10bonanza said:

Thank you, my friend.  How much accuracy are you getting?

I would guess inch and a half to just over an inch range. I don’t know if I’ve ever shot it with good ammo for group sizes. Typically shoot 147 grain surplus or 180 grain hunting ammo.

It was built to go to a 7.62 GP/ patrol rifle class because I couldn’t stomach the SCAR 17 and 13 inch barrel price tag. 

• Like 1

Okay.  Full disclosure.

I wanted an M1A for thirty-five years, and I finally was able to own one.  A wood stocked Springfield Scout Squad (couldn't afford a Fulton Armory or LRB M14).

I wouldn't give it up for anything.  Reliable, maintenance free (almost), 1.5~2-MOA with irons and hand loaded ammo.  And a very cool factor at the range that always draws a crowd.  I had it in my patrol vehicle trunk for a while and it felt awesome to know it was there.

As much as a fanboy that I should be for that rifle I am going to recommend for you something different.

A S&W M&P AR10

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-10-optic-ready

But you will still have to deal with an optic or irons on top of what it would cost you.

• Like 2

If you have not fired a 16" or 18" barrel .308/762x51 I suggest you find a friend and shoot one. Muzzle  blast is not pleasant.  You may also look at the standard length Springfield Armory M1A.  The M1A is one tough rifle and can be supremely accurate.  If you decide you really like the short barrel it should get down handling each one and deciding what feels best to you within your pocketbook range.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Citra47 said:

You may also look at the standard length Springfield Armory M1A

That's what I have or a least did until it went overboard in a canoe accident.  Mine was a 70's version built with a lot of milsurp parts.  Had Lockbar rear sights. Nice rifle.  Don't know how they are today though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moshe said:

If those are your only three considerations, I vote for the tried and true Springfield .308

I prefer the MIA scout with the 18 inch barrel over either the standard 22 inch barrel or the socom with the stubby 16 inch barrel.  The 18 inch barrel has the nicest balance of the 3 and to my eye is the best looking especially with a walnut stock.

The standard M1a is nice looking but the 18 inch barreled model has a better feel to it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

It was built to go to a 7.62 GP/ patrol rifle class because I couldn’t stomach the SCAR 17 and 13 inch barrel price tag

Exactly.  I shot a buddy’s suppressed SCAR 17 with NightForce scope.  It was incredible.  I personally could never justify the $5k he has in it.  (But I’m glad he does!)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nitesite said:

Okay.  Full disclosure.

I wanted an M1A for thirty-five years, and I finally was able to own one.  A wood stocked Springfield Scout Squad (couldn't afford a Fulton Armory or LRB M14).

I wouldn't give it up for anything.  Reliable, maintenance free (almost), 1.5~2-MOA with irons and hand loaded ammo.  And a very cool factor at the range that always draws a crowd.  I had it in my patrol vehicle trunk for a while and it felt awesome to know it was there.

As much as a fanboy that I should be for that rifle I am going to recommend for you something different.

A S&W M&P AR10

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-10-optic-ready

But you will still have to deal with an optic or irons on top of what it would cost you.

I was learning toward the Aero build, then started reading your response and was beginning to sway back toward an M1A, and then your recommendation left me all the more confused and undecided.  :anim_rofl2:

I bought a PSA10 Gen 2 lower last year and am still trying to decide what upper to put on it.  Likely a .308 and 18" barrel if I go the hunting rifle route since even though the 6.5 Creedmoor is entirely adequate for deer and elk and whatever else I need to hunt in Idaho, I prefer the .30 cal bullet for performance on big game under 500yds.  Plus, You can find .308 hunting cartridges at any WalMart around here, and bullet choices are endless.

This was $150 at PSA on sale...

aDsWKxhWkMpEVOMjFkagMpAp5tX2iDi1UApencoPB6cpX92IB.jpg.4f1b9f4e347e2a26a658fc3038f489de.jpg

With a $500 upper, I will be into a .308 chambered AR for what I spent on a Ruger AR556 three years ago.  Crazy good times to build an AR.

Edited by PNWguy