Words That Get Overused. A Lot.

Eric

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

The first word that came to mind before opening this thread was "literally"

Guilty. Throw in actually, especially and a bunch of other exaggerations.

:couch:

PS: Being called dude or bro by some low IQ tool doesn't fly well.

Edited by crockett

1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

Selfie.  I couldn't believe people were saying it seriously when I first heard it.  I was even more shocked that it stuck and became commonly used. A truly moronic and narcissistic word.

"Bee Tee Dubs". Just plain dumb.

Cuss words inserted into every sentence as if the speaker never learned English vocabulary or just really loved watching the Smurfs as a child and wants to emulate them in adulthood.

"Smurf!*. Did you smurfin'* see the way that guy smurfed* with those smurfs*?"

*Insert cuss word of your choice and repeat as often as possible until people are thoroughly convinced of your ignorance.

****, that's fuckin' fucked, ******.

• Like 2

Wrote this about twenty years ago:

The following are examples of how Dude is spoken. I learned these from my apprentice. 

Statement: "Good morning, Apprentice." 

Answer: "Hey, dude." 

Translation: "Good morning, sir. I hope you had a pleasant evening. I, myself, slept well, and as soon as I set my lunch down, I'll make you some coffee. I should inform you that I seem to have misplaced my hardhat again, and I am seriously reconsidering your generous offer to duct tape it to my silly little ass." 

Statement: "Apprentice, dig me a ditch. Start here, and go to that wall. Make it three feet deep and two feet wide." 

Answer: "Oh, dude, dude, dude..." 

Translation: "Sir, at first glance, I would guess that a cost-benefit analysis would show that it would be more economical to rent a back-hoe to dig this ditch, for a number of reasons. First, of course, is the fact that my ass is small and light of weight, and I am weak. It may, therefore, take me several days to dig this ditch to your satisfaction. Furthermore, because of my vast experience, if you leave me unsupervised, when you come back, I may be up to my neck, going straight down." 

Question: "Apprentice, why did you bring me a wrench when I asked for a coil of rope?" 

Answer: "uh, dude..." 

Translation: "Because the wrench was shinier than the rope." 

Statement: "DUUUUUUUUUUUDDE!...." 

Translation: "Sir, during the safety meeting this morning, I became fascinated with my flashlight. A light goes on in one end of it when the switch is thrown, and it goes off when it's thrown back! So, rather like a cat, I sat there and watched the light go on and off, and I regret that I missed the discussion. As a result, I've now shot myself in the leg with the nail gun, in exactly the manner discussed at the safety meeting, and I require immediate evacuation by ambulance to an emergency room. When I get out of the hospital and complete my rehab, I would appreciate another discussion about safety and nail guns, and this time I won't turn my flashlight on at all. I will now wait for the ambulance by laying down and whimpering miserably until I pass out." 

Statement: "Apprentice! Apprentice! I'm talking to you!" 

Answer: "Dude?" 

Translation: "I'm sorry, sir, I was daydreaming again. Here's the thing. Since you pay me $12 an hour, and that works out to like two thousand dollars a week, why was my paycheck only about $240? I realize that I missed last Tuesday, and I was late on Wednesday, but that should only total about a dollar and a half. So why was my pay so short?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1