Big snow storm this late week/weekend?

ARP

19 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm thinking this "storm" is going to be a dud.  Sensationalized.  It's all they do anymore.

Did TWC give it a name yet??

"Tomorrow,  rainstorm George will move through,  followed by sunny day Julie..."

I am tired to rain, it messes up my range time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I can attest to the insanity which is Iowa's extreme weather changes.  Coldest I've ever been in my life was there.  -20 degrees in the mid 1990's with 30mph winds meant around -50 degrees.  Later that summer I did roofing and saw temps in the upper 90's and 90% humidity.  Lost a couple of guys with hangovers to heat stroke.  Just absolutely horrible weather.

I have lived this every year since the early '60's. There really are only a few days of that sub zero weather each winter. Much easier to tolerate than the summers. A week of 100+ and 100% humidity gets old quickly. But those mid 80 degree days and 0 humidity are the reward. They outweigh the extremes.

I have switched over to Weather Nation on my PSVue channel, going to go take a look see here in a few minutes before heading off for a long afternoon nap. Gotta drive all night to DC, hunting for a yellow Mustang to side swipe while I'm in VA  ?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

I have lived this every year since the early '60's. There really are only a few days of that sub zero weather each winter. 

I remember one year I was there, it didn't get above 0 for a month.  Set some records with that miserable existence...

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:45 AM, Dog Soldier said:

It is winter in the Northern Rockies.  Snows are predicted for the next 5 days. We will be going to Casper, Wy of Friday. The annual Sons Of the American Revolution will meet their this weekend.  The trip is 350 miles from our home in SW W Wyo. We go prepared sleeping bags food etc just in case we get shut down along the way.  

Dress warm and stay safe.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I can attest to the insanity which is Iowa's extreme weather changes.  Coldest I've ever been in my life was there.  -20 degrees in the mid 1990's with 30mph winds meant around -50 degrees.  Later that summer I did roofing and saw temps in the upper 90's and 90% humidity.  Lost a couple of guys with hangovers to heat stroke.  Just absolutely horrible weather.

Cheyenne, Wyoming can match that and more for freezing temps. Cold as can be but guys still used to put iridescent paint on their golf balls and play in powder snow 3' deep. 

16 minutes ago, Citra47 said:

Cold as can be but guys still used to put iridescent paint on their golf balls and play in powder snow 3' deep. 

We do that all the time at camp.

Pick a tree,  off in the distance, and it's the hole.  For each shot,  you find the snow-hole that your ball made and place it on top of the snow.  You have to hit the tree.

Copious alcohol is mandatory.

When all the balls are lost, the game is over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, jame said:

After the last catastrophic failure a year ago, I had a talk with the owners, and they agreed to at least make an attempt, as feeble as it may be.

We added 9 inch round ducts, with 3/4 hp in line fans that are thermostatically switched on at 40 degrees.  They pull air from the assumed warmer air from the center of the attic, and blow it directly to the affected area.  Heat tape, as you suggested, is also in place, and also switched at 40 degrees.  It had also been blown plumb full of insulation, not allowing the flow of warmer air to cooler areas.

The owners would not allow me to install any supplemental heating, which is terribly frustrating.  I was hopeful that I could install a gas fired 100,000 btu furnace at ground level, and provide forced heated air via air handlers to the attic space, but either cost or paranoia wouldn't allow it.

I'm in central Iowa, and owners are in the more tropical southern climes of the country.  Go figure.

For those reading along, if you're along the Gulf coast or souther CA, you really have no idea what cold really is.  -15 with 30 mph winds can introduce you to a whole new reality.  

(And don't tell me I don't know heat, either.  In 4 to 5 months we'll see 97 degrees with 80% humidity.  I live in climatological hell.)

It sounds like you made the best with the resources available to you. The blown in insulation you said is plumb full, is it possible to use petty cash to hire a rent a bum to go up there and rearrange the insulation to allow the warmer air to where you think it is needed? Take out some in garbage bags if it needed?

We have been fortunate in MI so far this year with weather, fingers crossed it stays like this.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

It sounds like you made the best with the resources available to you. The blown in insulation you said is plumb full, is it possible to use petty cash to hire a rent a bum to go up there and rearrange the insulation to allow the warmer air to where you think it is needed? Take out some in garbage bags if it needed?

We have been fortunate in MI so far this year with weather, fingers crossed it stays like this.

I'm sorry, I meant to follow up on the insulation.  

Yes, we opened up some bigger pockets to air flow from warmer areas.  Our first real test begins tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, jame said:

I'm sorry, I meant to follow up on the insulation.  

Yes, we opened up some bigger pockets to air flow from warmer areas.  Our first real test begins tomorrow.

Its all good, just trying to offer suggestions from experiences I have had over the years, let us know how it works.

The storm-of-the-decade (!) is now predicted to not cover the tops of my boots.

(but, I've got vodka, so I will survive.  but, it's ohio-walmart vodka and is only half-proof. I didn't realize that.  I would have bought twice as much. at $4/bottle, I should have just filled up the cart.  nothing but the cheapest for me!)

When we were kids,  many winters you couldn't even find the mailbox.

We once could only use the back basement door because the drift covered the front of the house up to the roof.  That same year, we made snow-tunnel-bobsled tracks and ran our sleds through them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

I'm sure hoping it was research and not personal experience that brought you to that conclusion. 

On 2nd thought, no need to answer. :shoot-me:

Well,  the cheese and tomatoes definitely don't work.  hoo boy!

The lettuce works if you're careful.

With the mayonnaise,  the bread is like a wet-wipe.

• Confused 1