Big snow storm this late week/weekend?

ARP

Predictions are that it might be substantial, about time, have only had dustings so far this year.

I broke out the skis and made my way off to the closest ski area to get in an afternoon of fun. I have not been out in almost 2 seasons. I started off kinda slow and then got acquainted again with my gear and my form came back and by the end of the day I was doing waaaay better than I thought I might be.

The last time I was out that I recall was Bristol Mountain NY. I have been there as a spectator many times, and every time I look at that mountain it looks to me like a steep sheet of ice with little snow on top of the ice. So the one time I bought a ticket and gave it a shot, that was exactly what it was. My knees were screaming after 5 minutes trying to hold my speed from run away, turns on ice are no fun at all, the snow boarders had pushed most of the snow off of the ice base so it was all piled up on the sides, so you would go from trying to control speed to trying to keep balance after hitting a big pile of snow. I recall doing a few head over skis falls and had enough of that crap and called it a day before I got hurt. Forget form, it was survival mode.

Possibility I might be driving in it on a charter to DC on friday.

• Like 4

I'm pretty concerned about what's to come, not so much from concern over snow, but the extreme cold.

I'm the executive director of an assisted living facility that has a "wet" sprinkler system.  That's to say that the sprinkler pipes are filled with untreated, fresh water, that's exposed to the elements.  You can only imagine the hellish results when one of those pipes freezes and breaks....

• Sad 2

It is winter in the Northern Rockies.  Snows are predicted for the next 5 days. We will be going to Casper, Wy of Friday. The annual Sons Of the American Revolution will meet their this weekend.  The trip is 350 miles from our home in SW W Wyo. We go prepared sleeping bags food etc just in case we get shut down along the way.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jame said:

I'm pretty concerned about what's to come, not so much from concern over snow, but the extreme cold.

I'm the executive director of an assisted living facility that has a "wet" sprinkler system.  That's to say that the sprinkler pipes are filled with untreated, fresh water, that's exposed to the elements.  You can only imagine the hellish results when one of those pipes freezes and breaks....

Ummm....so fix that situation. Is that not in somebody’s job description?

1 hour ago, deputy tom said:

I hate shoveling snow. Last Sunday we got around four inches and the snow blower couldn't move it. I had to shovel it. tom. :shakefist:

Why? I had DUQ track back from Marshall,  it went from rain to freezing rain to ice to snow as I drove north. Doing the Right to Life march on Friday to DC, got a group from Aspinwall and Glenshaw. I think it could be dicey driving. Im packing food for a week. Got stuck on the PATP for 24 hours a few years ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Airmotive said:

Ummm....so fix that situation. Is that not in somebody’s job description?

Tell it to corporate, brother.  We're owned by an investment company, and dropping 100 large just doesn't seem to appeal to them.

41 minutes ago, jame said:

Tell it to corporate, brother.  We're owned by an investment company, and dropping 100 large just doesn't seem to appeal to them.

Where is your facility located? It sounds a lot like one I worked for in NYS.

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm thinking this "storm" is going to be a dud.  Sensationalized.  It's all they do anymore.

Did TWC give it a name yet??

"Tomorrow,  rainstorm George will move through,  followed by sunny day Julie..."

And if it's not? The Euro model is showing it to be substantial. For me substantial is anything over a foot of snow. And actually it looks like Pittsburgh to say Meadville are going to get blasted.

It gets old watching the news media freak out over weather and disasters on the coasts, but have worse weather and disasters out here and it rarely makes the news.

Two summers ago, we had millions of acres burn and the air quality was so bad that officials were recommending no one go outside without breathing protection.  Lasted months.  Businesses had to shut down since the air was so bad.  Hundreds of homes were lost.  It was truly a major disaster.

Didn't recall ever seeing the major networks cover it.

• Thanks 1

Just watched more local weather news.....I'm thinking they are hedging their bets on the magnitude of this one. Looks like it might be further north of the "viewing area". We'll still get something, but really a WAG.

When I worked at a grocery store we dreaded the word “snow”.  There wouldn’t be a loaf of bread or gallon of milk left.  People make jokes about but it was real.  People bought enough grub to last a month.  And this was long enough ago that the customer pulled up to the curb and I loaded the groceries in the car.  Even got a tip sometimes.   50 cents was a lot of money then.  LOL

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jame said:

Can you add heat tape to the areas where the pipes are exposed? Is there a way to open a drain/sprinkler head/anything to allow movement of water in the pipe enough to cause the water to move so it can't freeze?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can you add heat tape to the areas where the pipes are exposed? Is there a way to open a drain/sprinkler head/anything to allow movement of water in the pipe enough to cause the water to move so it can't freeze?

After the last catastrophic failure a year ago, I had a talk with the owners, and they agreed to at least make an attempt, as feeble as it may be.

We added 9 inch round ducts, with 3/4 hp in line fans that are thermostatically switched on at 40 degrees.  They pull air from the assumed warmer air from the center of the attic, and blow it directly to the affected area.  Heat tape, as you suggested, is also in place, and also switched at 40 degrees.  It had also been blown plumb full of insulation, not allowing the flow of warmer air to cooler areas.

The owners would not allow me to install any supplemental heating, which is terribly frustrating.  I was hopeful that I could install a gas fired 100,000 btu furnace at ground level, and provide forced heated air via air handlers to the attic space, but either cost or paranoia wouldn't allow it.

I'm in central Iowa, and owners are in the more tropical southern climes of the country.  Go figure.

For those reading along, if you're along the Gulf coast or souther CA, you really have no idea what cold really is.  -15 with 30 mph winds can introduce you to a whole new reality.  

(And don't tell me I don't know heat, either.  In 4 to 5 months we'll see 97 degrees with 80% humidity.  I live in climatological hell.)

• Sad 1

I can attest to the insanity which is Iowa's extreme weather changes.  Coldest I've ever been in my life was there.  -20 degrees in the mid 1990's with 30mph winds meant around -50 degrees.  Later that summer I did roofing and saw temps in the upper 90's and 90% humidity.  Lost a couple of guys with hangovers to heat stroke.  Just absolutely horrible weather.

• Like 1