357 magnum powder

Wally720

• 2 weeks later...

I've used CFE Pistol in the past with non magnum primers.  I use CFE Pistol 6.6 grains 158g XTP 1.580 OAL. I don't get anywhere near Buffalo Bore with this load. I don't have a chrono, but it seems like a fairly mid range load.

I am thinking you need to go to H110 or W296 with Magnum primers to get the results you want. Others shoud chime in soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Hogdon lists Lil' Gun as a powder that will propel a 180 grain .357 Magnum bullet faster than Win 296 or H110

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

H4227 gets close.

Me?  I just use AA #7 with 158 grain bullets.  Not relevant to what you're doing.

I kinda forgot about Lil Gun. Some more detail may make my mission more clear. After a trigger job on my GP100, I want to get away from CCI primers for this gun, due to primer ignition failures. This load is strictly for hunting, not something I shoot routinely. I use Unique for plinking, target loads. I know an option is to change the hammer spring back out to factory and keep my H110 - CCI  magnum primer combination. I was really looking for a magnum powder with non mag primer combination ( preferably Federal) to produce a good hunting load.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would be looking in the direction of Lil Gun too. Not sure about using non-magnum primers though. Generally, slow burning powders that take up most of the case volume need a magnum primer for uniform and consistent ignition. In 4 to 6" barrels, H110 and a magnum primer is my go-to.

Edited by Highspeedlane

• 2 months later...

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.