Rick Scott violated Brenda Snipes' constitutional rights with suspension, federal judge rules

pipedreams

Mark Walker, a Federal Judge appointed by Barack Obama, ruled Wednesday night that former Florida Governor and current Senator, Rick Scott violated Brenda Snipes’ Constitutional rights when he suspended her.

"U.S. District Judge Mark Walker said newly inaugurated Gov. Ron DeSantis must grant former Broward County elections supervisor Brenda Snipes a “meaningful opportunity to be heard” regarding her suspension by March 31."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/9/judge-mark-walker-rules-rick-scott-violated-brenda/

• Sad 1

Scott suspended Snipes for misfeasance, incompetence and neglect of duty, and appointed his former general counsel to take her place. In his executive order, Scott cited problems during the recount, including reports of more than 2,000 ballots being misplaced. Norris-Weeks contended that some of the problems cited by Scott were not caused by Snipes.

Her job, as I understand it, was to oversee the election and ensure the results were tallied properly and accurately in a reasonable amount of time.  

The results of the election were NOT tallied accurately and properly, along with other issues.  As with any other job, if it doesn't happen how it's supposed to, the person in charge of it is the one held accountable (well, any job not involving the government that is).  

So what if "some" of the problems that happened were not "caused" by her?  it was her job to make sure that the problems didn't happen in the first place.  She failed that job, so getting booted to the curb is the least she should expect for her ineptitude. 

• Thanks 1

Mark E. Walker

Notable rulings
In February 2018, Walker ruled against Florida and ordered Governor Rick Scott to restore the voting rights of felons after their release from prison. In September 2018, Walker decided another significant voting rights case, in which he granted a preliminary injunction against Florida's Secretary of State, directing him to ensure that Spanish speaking voters have access to ballots in the Spanish language for the November 2018 elections. This decision, made on the basis of Section 4(e) of the Voting Rights Act, is especially critical, as Florida is grappling with a recent influx of Puerto Ricans fleeing the aftermath of 2017's Hurricane Maria.

Liberal POS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crockett said:

Walker received a Bachelor of Arts. Bullshit degree. Go figure.

A few years ago we thought we were going to rid of John Conyers because he didn't have the required number of signatures on a petition to be on the ballot (MI Law). One of obumas judges, Judge Matthew Leitman said don't worry about the law and allowed him on the ballot anyway. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-allows-long-time-dem-rep-conyers-on-primary-ballot

• Sad 2

So when is it a constitutional right not to be fired from a job, by someone that has the legal authority to do so?

At best I could see it as slander or something like that, but come on, where in the Constitution does it say that you aren't allowed to be fired for stupidity, corruption, and downright incompetence?  

"Due rights process"...  Florida is an "at-will" employment state.  As long as there is no evidence that she was fired for illegal reasons like age or sex discrimination, there isn't much of a case.  The only thing I'm seeing here is that she doesn't like some of the things the Governor said about her when she was terminated, by placing all the responsibility for the screw ups at her feet, when it was her job to make sure screw ups didn't happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

So when is it a constitutional right not to be fired from a job, by someone that has the legal authority to do so?

At best I could see it as slander or something like that, but come on, where in the Constitution does it say that you aren't allowed to be fired for stupidity, corruption, and downright incompetence?  

"Due rights process"...  Florida is an "at-will" employment state.  As long as there is no evidence that she was fired for illegal reasons like age or sex discrimination, there isn't much of a case.  The only thing I'm seeing here is that she doesn't like some of the things the Governor said about her when she was terminated, by placing all the responsibility for the screw ups at her feet, when it was her job to make sure screw ups didn't happen.

Could it mean something about the state constitution and her being in an elected position?

22 hours ago, Moeman said:

Yeah well,  Scott was a thief when at HCA, they heisted 10’s of millions of $ . He has no moral highground. 

Ergo Snipes has a Constitutional right to be Broward County Elections Supervisor. Brilliant!

Did your parents ever fall for the But Johnny did it too! defense? My parents certainly didn't.

1 hour ago, G26S239 said:

Ergo Snipes has a Constitutional right to be Broward County Elections Supervisor. Brilliant!

Did your parents ever fall for the But Johnny did it too! defense? My parents certainly didn't.

My parents were as honest as people come, bye.