Black Powder Handguns

Dog Soldier

I know the interest in Black Powder handguns is limited. I have a number of modern reproductions. However the Ruger Old Army revolvers 1972-2008, were not reproductions of any historical firearms. They were an invention of Bill Ruger. These modern arms were made for hunting and can with stand high pressure loadings. The .45 Colt conversion cylinders make them very versatile.

I load the Perc cylinder with .452" 250 grs bullets over a max charge of 777 Powder. These loads are very impressive. 

IMG_0930_(2).thumb.JPG.3af9f92ab7e8b3c27dac2b40d478fdf9.JPG

Edited by Dog Soldier
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, Dog Soldier said:

I know the interest in Black Powder handguns is limited. I have a number of modern reproductions. However the Ruger Old Army revolvers 1972-2008, were not reproductions of any historical firearms. They were an invention of Bill Ruger. These modern arms were made for hunting and can with stand high pressure loadings. The .45 Colt conversion cylinders make them very versatile.

I load the Perc cylinder with .452" 250 grs bullets over a max charge of 777 Powder. These loads are very impressive. 

A very nice collection you have Sir.  I especially like the Ruger Old Army and replica Remington 1858's.  The Old Army is one of the two most accurate handguns I have ever fired.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Collim1 said:

I love my Uberti 1851.  But I hate cleaning it. 

A Ruger in SS is tempting as a low maintenance option but the prices they are going for now is too much. 

I regret turning my nose up at them when they were cheaper. 

Try using Hodgdon's Triple Seven BP substitute. It's  a lot less corrosive and cleans up with solvents, no hot water needed. I also recommend th use of wondr wadsund the ball to prevent chain fires rather than Crisco or some other Lube.

I'd love to have a Ruger Old Army especially one of the fixed sight versions which looked more like a 19th century gun. I also like the fact that you can get cartridge conversions for the gun and shoot 45 Colt out of it

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, Dog Soldier said:

I think it is definitely an artform.  I know little about them.  What I do know is on my first invited deer hunt I was given a black powder rifle with a scope and I got my first white tail.  It was preloaded.  It irritated me that I had to wait for the smoke to clear before I could see if I had my quarry, and I did.  Preloading myself, I can imagine loosing an appendage.  Then the guy's father and son, got into an argument how I bowled the white tail, and his son (grown man) had missed it.  I admire your proficiency with black powder.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That's a stunning collection Dog Soldier. I've been a long time fan of BP of all types, but with emphasis on handguns. My last acquisition was an Uberti '58 Remington with .45C conversion cylinder. I cut .45 Colt cases down to .45 Schofield length to give me more latitude on bullet seating depth. Definitely a fun day at the range.

ZZNUGDHKRm2_epq_h52_in4YDF6_nNievo3xN-Am

Many of these old warhorses can be surprisingly accurate, like my Uberti 3rd model Dragoon.

B6l7T0ppdx9TXpFJcOORMl4Ssv957H3Fx-4H6Whb

I need to get them out more often!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love my replica 1858 Army revolver.  All I ever had to buy was the caps.  I cast my own .451 balls and milled my own black powder.  The only reason I got rid of it was because my powder I made was extremely corrosive and like a moron I left it loaded and totally forgot about it for a very extended period.  When I remembered it and took it out of storage, I noticed it was still loaded and I had no plans of shooting that day so I manually pulled the balls and and emptied the powder and I was horrified at what the cylinder walls looked like.  I didn't know at the time I could get replacement cylinders for it or else I'd still have it today.  Might get a new one someday because I still have the .451 double cavity mold. 

• 1 month later...

Summer time goes together with black powder :)

This weekend added an Uberti Walker to the fold and added a Kirst Konverter in .45 Colt to my 3rd Model Dragoon. The whole process went well (mainly just relieving the recoil shield) and it is timed perfectly and locks up tight as a drum.

IMG_0882-web.jpg.5c5a341ca137fbe55dfbd002f4f55001.jpg

I stay away from black powder unless a friend lends it to me.  I shot a good sized doe with a borrowed black powder rifle.  I bowled get at about 150 yards.  The thing was frustrating was, I didn't know if I made the kill until the smoke cleared.  I stay away from it in general for fear of a KABOOM.  But, I admire people who can manage to do it successfully.

Back in the late 70's someone came out with a Colt Dragoon replica bored out to 50 caliber. I wish I had bought one then. It wouldn't be hard to make one today but it would cost a lot, Both the cylinders and the barrel were and are thick enough to be rebored and today's steels are much better than the originals.

More recently Clements Customs made a 5 shot 50 caliber version of the Ruger Old Army. The 50 caliber cap and ball revolver is capable of driving a 170 grain 490 ball loaded over a wonder wad and 50 grains of Hodgdon's triple seven at an average velocity for 20 rounds at 1305 fps/676 FPE and a 250 grain SWC loaded with 45 grains of 777 at 1269 FPS /894 FPE.

https://gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm