Government Shutdown

SC Tiger

Help me out here please.

As I understand it, Trump has the government shut down by refusing to sign the bill that funds the affected agencies, correct?

So that means that if he DOES "re-open" the government, he cannot then just shut it back down if the Dems don't hold up their end of the bargain, right?

Haven't followed it too much honestly.  Been focused on more important stuff.

• Haha 1

It’s very simple

if you won’t pass our bill that has everything we want, but nothing you want....it’s your fault the gov’t shuts down

if you put forth a bill that doesn’t have all my stuff in it and none of yours, then it’s your fault we dont vote for it...it’s your fault the gov’t shuts down

give is a bill that we can vote for (all our stuff, none of your stuff) or it’s your fault. And we will make sure the media blames you.

- Democraps

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Help me out here please.

As I understand it, Trump has the government shut down by refusing to sign the bill that funds the affected agencies, correct?

So that means that if he DOES "re-open" the government, he cannot then just shut it back down if the Dems don't hold up their end of the bargain, right?

That is not correct.

Both chambers have passed 5 of 12 appropriations, which the Donald has signed, and accounts for 3/4 of discretionary spending for FY2020.  The rest has been competing Continuing Resolutions which have not passed both chambers.  So, the POTUS has nothing to sign.

Fake news.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

That is not correct.

Both chambers have passed 5 of 12 appropriations, which the Donald has signed, and accounts for 3/4 of discretionary spending for FY2020.  The rest has been competing Continuing Resolutions which have not passed both chambers.  So, the POTUS has nothing to sign.

Fake news.

Just did a little reading that explained it a little bit.  Apparently this year many agencies had their budgets approved individually, instead of one big lump.  That's why the DoD and some agencies are unaffected.

Clinton also had a shutdown that rivaled this one for length (though this one may have passed it now) but the difference is that this one is only a partial shutdown.

If I were the Prez I WOULD use an EO (if I could) to pay the Border Patrol and TSA and other law enforcement agencies at least.  That would probably gain some pub and would also line up better with the wall thing.  It kinda sucks that the BP isn't getting paid over something that they actually need.

If Trump signs the budget then the gov’t will reopen for the duration of the budget.

once the gov’t opens up again, Trump cannot just “shut it down” on his own. The money is appropriated and the stipulations are in place.

if anybody thinks that the 2020 election has started only on the left, you’re kidding yourself. Trump is running his campaign as much as Warren and Harris.

• Like 2

With an emergency declaration, the money doesn’t just magically appear.

the current construction plans and funding for the year will have to be redirected for the wall.

somebody will have to decide what and where to cut for the money. If they do.....you will never get congress to vote for funding border security again.

There looks like there is money available here.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dod-cant-spend-money-fast-enough-as-28-billion-gets-left-unspent-2019-1

The Pentagon failed to spend an eye-popping $27.7 billion of the funds it was allocated for fiscal year 2018 even though President Donald Trump intends to give the U.S. military even more taxpayer cash to play with next year. "

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:26 AM, SC Tiger said:

Help me out here please.

No.  All he has to do is veto every spending package that comes to him.  Unless, his veto is overridden, it could be the same scenario over and over again.  The house and senate could give him a spending bill, and he could refuse to sign it unless a stripper named Candy brings him an ice cream cone. 

This shut down stuff is starting to get stupid.  

If Trump couldn’t get it done with both houses is the “R” category, he sure as hell won’t get it done now.  

And let’s face it, it’s all gameplay, anyway.  The Dems are playing games.  They won’t play just because Trump is Trump.

Trump is playing games.  His definition of what is really a “wall” bounces around like a rabbit in a lettuce patch.  He’s not being serious about this.  He’s just enjoying ******* with the Dems, because they’re Dems.

Neither is truly addressing immigration, while, now 4 weeks in, not only gov’t employees are affected, but now industries dependent on gov’t regulation oversight, such as fishing, timbering, and mining permits, and farm and ranch programs that are seasonal and time sensitive.  

Mom and pop businesses are soon to take a hit because no one in DC can act like grown ups. (Don’t forget the employees of all of the businesses within those industries, btw)

It’s time.  Let’s call it and move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Democrats can end this shutdown by including funds for border security. They own this. As a furloughed federal employee, I am willing to wait this out because border security is important and necessary.

Have you seen the number of illegals crossing the border each week?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And Trump can end this as well.

Or both sides could come to some level of agreement.  I don't care.

What I do see is a bunch of politicians in a pissing match over who can hold out the longest, while businesses and non-governmental employees beginning to take a hit.

Have you seen the number of people now requesting late payments on mortgages and car payments?  Or fishermen, loggers, or farmers sitting idle while elected politicians fight like 7 year olds? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not terribly sympathetic about the majority of the people who are screaming and crying about not knowing how they're going to make their next house payment, pay their bills, or whatnot.

I'm sure there are a few exceptions to this, but anyone who works a job and spends the entirety of their paycheck every month, without setting aside anything for emergencies like unscheduled unpaid vacations or being laid off is an idiot.  If your paycheck isn't enough to support yourself, then you should still be living with mommy and daddy while you get enough work experience for a real job that pays a living wage.  

The media loves to scream and shout and point fingers, when reality is it's their advertising slots that convinced all these people that they need to have everything now, and it's okay to go into massive debt in order to have the latest and greatest.  High school social studies taught us how to play the stock market, but nothing about how much credit cards actually cost you to use, or how to balance a checkbook.  (if you've been around me long enough, you'll recognize my favorite rants about the education system and advertising in media as pretty much the source of all evil in this country these days, as well as the destruction of the classic family model)

Anyone with any type of common sense that has been working for any length of time should have set aside an emergency fund.  Heck, I recently went through a divorce and still manage to have enough to cover my expenses for a while.  

As the old saying goes "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Then again, I was raised Mormon, so being prepared for things like this is second nature.  I don't feel comfortable without a few months worth or money/supplies on hand.

5 hours ago, jame said:

If Trump couldn’t get it done with both houses is the “R” category, he sure as hell won’t get it done now.  

You obviously haven't been paying attention, or you get your misinformation from sources like The Washington Post and CNN, or both.

First, the (R) never had control of both Houses.  They held a simple majority in both the House and the Senate.  It takes 60 votes in the Senate (not 51) to invoke cloture and to pass legislation, unless said legislation is part of Budget Reconciliation, then a simple majority will do.  This spending Bill does NOT fall under the guidelines of Budget Reconciliation, so it must have Democrat support to get the 60 votes required.  All a simple majority in the Senate does is give the majority party, Majority Leader Position and committee leadership positions, it does not give the majority party the ability to pass legislation (CONTROL), that takes 60 votes.

Second, President Trump doesn't need Pelosi or the House to authorize the 5.7 B requested.  That money and Bill have already been approved by the House and has been sent to the Senate for a vote.  They passed the appropriate Legislation just days before the New House was sworn in.    The (R) have increased their majority from 51 to 53 seats in the Senate, but that is still 7 votes short of the 60 votes needed to pass legislation.  This House Bill ( like all Bills) needs at least 7 Democrats to get on board or it is dead in the water. 

Pelosi and her band of misfits are out.  The Senate has a House Bill in hand.  It is up to Chuck You Schumer and Schumer alone, to either come up with the 7+ votes required to pass the House spending bill or to keep the Government shut down until he does.

• Like 1

It's up to the "president". He owns it, he claimed it, it's his.

So he needs to stop throwing temper-tantrums and sign the bills that are put in front of him, whether they contain a wall or not. Then he needs to get ready to face the investigations.

He doesn't get the wall, because now he's facing a divided congress. It confuses him, and there will be no wall while the stalemate continues.

He's proud of the shutdown, by his own words, and now he's bleeding over it.

Every day, it will get worse.

Edited by Jammersix

13 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

It's up to the "president". 

The President has made his position clear.

No money for Border Security, no temporary spending bill signed.

It is up to Chuck you Schumer  to either support Border Security or keep the Government closed.

MAGA President Trump.  Do not cave to these Anti-American Communists hiding behind the fake and phony facade of morality and humanity.  If they were moral and humane they would not allow killers, drugs and death to enter this Country freely. 

We are proud of you Mr President, stand tall and stand with America and Americans.  If the Media and the Clowns on the left wish to blame you for the shutdown, so be it.  It is a badge of honor to stand up for what is right and moral.  

Edited by steve4102
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jammersix said:

So he needs to stop throwing temper-tantrums and sign the bills that are put in front of him

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  What bills passed by both chambers are currently waiting on the signature of the President?

Edited by Al Czervik
spelling
  • Like 1

And the rattle continues among the great unwashed, as the wheels of industry begin to grind to a slow turn.

Mining and timbering equipment sets idle, planes disembark in an untimely manner, ships set tied to piers and docks, and farmland lies idle.

This isn’t just about joe six pack any more.  The pride of the Democrats and the president are hurting this country, while the citizens grumble amongst themselves.  No one yet, has come up with a comprehensive immigration plan, focusing instead on simple things.

Both parties are at fault, and my country flails in the wind......