Not proof that Gen 5s are more accurate, but...

PNWguy

So, I had a Gen 4 G19 FS that I bought back in 2017 for GSSF to replace my G29.  Bad move, as it was much less accurate.  Bought a Storm Lake barrel and it was even worse.

So then last month I bought a Gen 5 G19 MOS for mostly CCW and some GSSF.  It was more accurate, but still not as impressive as the G29.

Was looking through older photos I took of range trips with the G19 Gen 4 and found that I used the exact same ammo with it as with the G19 gen 5.  Only two flavors, however.  Compared the groups and it is pretty obvious that the Gen 5 is much more accurate.

Of course, not scientific, not conclusive, and too many variables, but it is photographic evidence that MY Gen 5 G19 is more accurate than My Gen 4 G19...

At 7yds where ammo choice is negligble...

G1947yds.thumb.jpg.d58ac53fcfe854ed54f05223c1d506ac.jpg

302983358_IMG_20181205_1535299764538.thumb.jpg.298db7154ccfca45ce12b9bfabcccdc1.jpg

Rem UMC 115gr JHPs in the old G19...

G194UMC.thumb.jpg.224cdb6d2b691afb24e2d4adfb19f7d0.jpg

And the Gen 5 G19 with the same ammo (same box, even...).

G19.5umcnormr1.jpg.110a71083beed2338247d3cfefa2aba4.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I get the feeling the grips feel like the gen 2's and the trigger is as squishy as ever.  Now, Glock's have always had a squishy trigger, but I have found that Johnny Glocks makes a good crisp trigger that makes shooting a Glock far more pleasurable.

I think you'd have to screw your guns into a ransom rest and shoot groups with it to approach being scientific.  I find a lot of variance in group size with ammunition variation, but mostly whether I'm having a good day or not.

Here is what my Gen 2 Glock 21 can do at fifteen yards when I'm having a good day.  Note this particular ammunition (Ranier 200 grain plated semi wad cutters going around 900 fps) gives me good groups with my 1911s and my Glock 21.  But, your results may vary. 

g21StckBrl15YrdsMed.jpg

At seven yards, my Gen 3 Glock 34 puts up tight groups. 

g34Best800.jpg

• Like 1

The new "Marksman" barrels do seem to be more accurate but there's a problem with the short throats if you reload your own ammo. Unlike previous generation Glocks, which were reliable with anything you fed them, the Gen 5 barrels have made a trade-off of enhanced accuracy for reliability, though it isn't a problem a good gunsmith can't resolve.

• 1 month later...

Not scientific, but personal experience.

I own both a gen 3 and a gen 5 G19.  I find I'm more accurate with the gen 3 but I find the gen 5 to be much more comfortable in the hand.  I also have installed Apex trigger enhancement kits in both guns.

Part of what may come into play are the type of sights, quality to the barrel, etc.  I usually wait before generations.  I remember when they dumped Gen 4's and people were having QC problems left and right.  With sending things to Glock, and them slowing down for Gen 5's, Generation  4 's stopped being a problem.  Fortunately, this time I have not heard the lamentations of the Gen 5's.  Perhaps Glock learned that QC matters.  Kudos for them, and kudos to you on your pistol. :)

• 1 month later...