TV Networks Consider Not Airing Trump’s Border Security Address

pipedreams

3 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

BTW, I'm 2 years cancer free.

Congratulations!  Keep up the good work.  

A couple of comments.  There are very few politicians who are not narcissistic, which is why they think that people will vote for them.  

Second, the whole “taking jobs that Americans won’t do,” is BS and always has been.  It is an excuse to hire people for less money and benefits than an American would stand for.  There are no jobs out there that don’t have Americans working on them somewhere in this country.  

I did this this way to keep from making multiple posts, but don’t let that in any way make you think that I am trying to lessen you and your doctors achievement of two years cancer free.  It was hard work.  I pray for another three years, which would put you past the five year mark.  I have a friend who is now ten years free.  I also watched an eight year old boy fight for four years before succumbing.  The one common thread for both was that they were always encouraging and cheering up others.  

In the words of Winston Churchill, “Never give up, never give up, never give up, . . . “. 

Hawk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brown Hawk said:

Second, the whole “taking jobs that Americans won’t do,” is BS and always has been.  It is an excuse to hire people for less money and benefits than an American would stand for. 

Yeah. That's what "...that Americans won't do." means.

20 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Yup.

That's why I prefer goods from overseas. Same (or better) product without the entitlement surcharge.

Not a surcharge, entitlement or not

jut what the market will bear. If I’m growing lettuce and I can’t anybody to harvest it for $2 an hour.....I’m gonna have to pay them  &3 or whatever the market will bear. If I have to raise my prices, then I try and stay competative by either producing more or producing a better product

thats capitalism

59 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

If I’m growing lettuce and I can’t anybody to harvest it for $2 an hour.....I’m gonna have to pay them  &3 or whatever the market will bear. If I have to raise my prices, then I try and stay competative by either producing more or producing a better product

Doesn't explain why lettuce rots on the ground when they can't find pickers.

The answer is that three dollars an hour won't attract any more Americans than two dollars does. You'd need to raise that number high enough that no one would buy your lettuce at the price you'd have to charge, and the only decision that makes financial sense when you can't find immigrant labor is to save what money you have and let it rot on the ground.

38 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Doesn't explain why lettuce rots on the ground when they can't find pickers.

The answer is that three dollars an hour won't attract any more Americans than two dollars does. You'd need to raise that number high enough that no one would buy your lettuce at the price you'd have to charge, and the only decision that makes financial sense when you can't find immigrant labor is to save what money you have and let it rot on the ground.

The need for cheap labor is what drives innovation. When the cheap labor isn’t available.

great strides have been made in the last few years in farming tech. Immigrants aren’t needed and have in reality been delaying progress. 

Why would I spend time and money engineering and developing harvesters and combines when there is no market for them because the farmer can hire illegals or $2 an hour in cash. Take away the “out” and we fuel innovation.

again, capitalism 

No market for the machines until the price tag generates a break even point that is reasonable, the definition of reasonable being up to each lettuce farmer. Until then, $2 an hour or it rots.

No reasonable market for the machine, the definition of reasonable being up to the venture capitalists, no money for machine research.

Chicken or egg, and we've been getting the lettuce picked for a hundred years.

Capitalism.

18 hours ago, pipedreams said:

In summary I don't think most people care how the wall is paid for, they just want the damm wall.

I don't think that's even close to true, although the New York Times wants to know if the wall will have provisions to get boiling oil onto the enemy trebuchets.

• Like 1